Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Feb 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Problem with electric cars is that the environmental damage is just shifted away from petrol/diesel pollution in our local neighbourhood to gas/coal pollution in a power station and Nickel and Lithium (and graphite) mining pollution.

electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars.

The big elephant in the electric car future is what we are going to do with the estimated 11 million tons of spent lithium ion batteries in the mid 2020s - it costs MUCH more to recycle and extract the Lithium than it does to mine it afresh.

This will probably all come to a head over the next few years - we will be getting rid of petrol/diesel for electric only to be told we have dramatically worsened the whole environmental pollution situation.

And the big car manufacturers can then make us buy hydrogen cell cars (or insert whichever is the flavour of the month) next... and then something else and something else... ad infinitum.
Tesla remove them and put them on houses with solar panels via their company Solar City. When the batteries are no longer good for cars (and Tesla shuttles between LA and Las Vegas have done 250k miles with only 10% diminution in battery) they are still suited for this purpose.
Old 7 Feb 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Talking of which my colleague has had his Jag I Pace arrive at the dealer today. He's away the next few days so I'll be out for a spin early next week.
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
That is true - but ignores the environmental/carbon footprint cost of recycling the batteries which is the major headache at the moment - which we are ignoring and hoping will be solved by tech yet to be invented - nickel and graphite are major components of the battery and since they are relatively cheap will probably continue to be so - but they are all much cheaper to mine than reuse, much more research needs to be done or we are just moving the problem 10 years down the line when all today's millions of batteries will have degraded (let alone those yet to come).
I agree we need to do more research. And more research is being done (for example, here).

The fact that there are still issues to sort out shouldn't mean we should just keep on using petrol cars. Switching to electric is a step in the right direction, rather than not stepping in any direction.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Problem with electric is that once people convert in mass, the loss of tax revenue will be plugged by the government of the day by imposing some extra taxation on them.
Oh, most probably. Don't expect electric vehicles to be any cheaper to run.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The only thing I want to know is, if we all switch to electric cars where is all the electricity coming from. We currently run at about 96% capacity.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
iwani
slightly serious Dibber

Well I've just switched to electric (Nissan Leaf) and I absolutely love it! I don't go far though, commuting to and from work maybe 25 miles a day, then not much more at weekends. I am a nervous driver so wouldn't want to drive any further than my range allows regardless of what kind of car I had.
If we do need to go further on occasion there's DH's petrol car in the household but otherwise he loves and prefers the Leaf too.
Right now I suppose it's very lifestyle dependent until ranges get bigger but for my life it's a perfect fit.
iwani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
The only thing I want to know is, if we all switch to electric cars where is all the electricity coming from. We currently run at about 96% capacity.

UK electricity usage is falling. The UK uses 9% less electricity than it did 7 years ago.

A lot of the charging will take place over night when there is plenty of capacity.

Modernisation of the grid and the internet of things. It has already started with industry. The national grid can switch off things when it needs to reduce demand. Turn off a fridge / freezer / air con for 5 minutes and it matters not one bit to the owner. Do that for a large number and you smooth demand. Longer term with smart meters you will find cheaper rates at non peak times. There will be endless way the consumption is smoothed to reduce the peak demand.

The same battery tech that will make electric cars viable will work on a larher scale. Tesla has shown it can work in australia to cover short term blackouts. As storage pitential increases so will its use. Again smoothjng demand and lowering peak consumption need.

Renewable costs are falling and supply is increasing. It will rise further to meet demand if it needs to. Companies can make money out of it.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

The 2 photos of new york in this bbc article, one from 1900, the next from 1913 really brought home how quickly things can change...

google/amp/s/b...iness-45786690
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
The 2 photos of new york in this bbc article, one from 1900, the next from 1913 really brought home how quickly things can change...

google/amp/s/b...iness-45786690
certainly does.

Brings up some good points too - may be good to do the change to electric as a driverless hire-when-needed thing at the same time (but I see a car as an a to b thing, nothing else)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We got a Tesla S - love it. My work offers free charge for electric cars and we have a charger at home ( we have solar panels as well so generating our own electricity).

Because we in general drive less than 10k per year - the PCP deal we had was about £475 per month - which was the same as the BMW we were also looking at. A no brainer really as my DH had dreamt of a Tesla for wuite a while (but we always thought they were too expensive).

Spend much less on petrol now as well which is an added bonus.

I agree more technology advances needed around battery in cold weather and more charging stations. Innovations always have to start somewhere and then continue to transform. The issues mentioned are nothing that puts me off owning an electric car.