Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 28 Feb 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile Power banks

Good Morning,

I need recommendations for a light-weight powerbank that will fit in a small-ish handbag ! I’ve searched the Dibb and the brand Anker seems popular.

Which size would charge an iPhone 8 and an iPad mini at the same time ? How would I know if it would be allowed in my hand luggage (I.e. max power) ?

I’ve got 2 cheap ones, can’t see a brand name. Both rubbish - even when fully charged I can’t rely on them charging my phone etc. Destined for the recycling bin.

Thanks as always

Linda
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

If I was going into the disney parks every day I would consider investigating "power rods" (I think that's right)

Basically you go into one of the disney shops, pay something like 30$ and you get a power bank which is fully charged. When it runs out u believe you then exchange it for a new one. But I have no idea how good they will be at charging a iPhone 8 and an iPod..

I have had limited success with power banks because I tend to go for the larger power hungry phones and as you have hinted at normally means more power.
I'm following this with interest . Wayne may come along here with a suggestion because he likes his tech
Old 28 Feb 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve got a Cygnett 10,000mah power bank that we use while in the parks and it has 2 USB ports and will happily charge a phone and tablet at the same time.

From memory it cost me about £35, I actually bought it for a cycling trip but it’s come in handy so many more times.

Another good thing with mine is that you can charge it while still having 2 devices charging off the power bank itself.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I bought this one from Amazon after seeing it recommended on here.

amazon/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a newer version of it for a few £ more

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Good Morning,

I need recommendations for a light-weight powerbank that will fit in a small-ish handbag ! I’ve searched the Dibb and the brand Anker seems popular.

Which size would charge an iPhone 8 and an iPad mini at the same time ? How would I know if it would be allowed in my hand luggage (I.e. max power) ?

I’ve got 2 cheap ones, can’t see a brand name. Both rubbish - even when fully charged I can’t rely on them charging my phone etc. Destined for the recycling bin.

Thanks as always

Linda
If you buy one around 20000mAH you will have no problems in hand baggage. They are not allowed in checked luggage.

The max size allowed in your bag (100 watt/hr) assuming 3.7 volt, which is the nominal voltage of a lithium cell, is 22200 mAH.
You will see the output of these power banks rated at 5 volts, but this is achieved by electronics boosting the 3.7 volt cell.
Hope this is of some help.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

OP - please don't take this the wrong way becauae I believe your comment about the recycle bin was meant in jest - but unwanted power banks should be disposed of in other ways (because we never put batteries in bins do we?)
Old 28 Feb 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
OP - please don't take this the wrong way becauae I believe your comment about the recycle bin was meant in jest - but unwanted power banks should be disposed of in other ways (because we never put batteries in bins do we?)
Our council takes batteries and power banks in its kerbside recycling scheme - we simply have to put them in a bag inside the recycling box.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughters school is going for their eco school accreditation so any dead batteries she takes in a bag to put in the recycling tubs they have in school office... She's on school council and says it's her duty as she helped vote the rule in lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Don't worry, I put all my dead batteries, and will do with my powerbanks, into the battery container bin at the dump !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, there's a toss-up between size/portability and the amount of power it has.

couple this with the fact that most smaller units don't have multiple USB sockets for simultaneous charging, and you need to decide what is most important to you.

always buy a reputable brand. there are too many cheap no-name units with either less capacity than they claim, or poor quality 18650 cells inside.

anker, easyacc, ravpower and aukey are relatively well known trusted brands.

the anker 10000 unit that tom posted is usually the best combination of fairly high power in a small portable package, but that only has one usb output socket (i have one of these myself)

the 13000 unit is only marginally larger and has two sockets...

amazon/dp/B00Z9UY6...nguag e=en_GB

with all these things though, prices vary, so if youre not in a rush, set up a camelcamelcamel alert or something to notify you when the price drops. you should be able to get the anker 10000mAh unit for around £15 and the 20000 unit for around £25ish on offer. i'd not seen the 13000mAh unit above before, so would assume that it can be picked up on offer for around £20 if youre not in a hurry to buy.

then the next step up is the larger units (15000-25000mAh) which are generally twice the size, but then they are also twice the capacity.

this aukey 20k unit is a decent price right now and again has multiple usb sockets.

amazon/AUKEY-20000...nguag e=en_GB

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List