Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 2 Mar 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm sure that you'll have a fantastic time. You'll soon get used to the ship's layout after exploring. If our first day is at sea we spend the whole day walking the length of the first public deck, change decks and walk back the other way.

There really is so much to do on a cruise ship. Just pick and choose what you fancy. There'll be a daily newspaper left on your bed during dinner outlining details of the next day's port and the on-board activities and shows.

Usually a ship TV channel as well talking about similar stuff.

Mick

I am just browsing around the add-ons. It must be too early to make a spa reservation as that is not working. My goodness £53 per person for a beverages package. I think we will be dry because if I buy that I will spend most of my time in the bar trying to get my moneys worth.

Internet seems to be extra cost.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I am just browsing around the add-ons. It must be too early to make a spa reservation as that is not working. My goodness £53 per person for a beverages package. I think we will be dry because if I buy that I will spend most of my time in the bar trying to get my moneys worth.

Internet seems to be extra cost.

Shore excursions can be a bit pricey as well if you book the "official" cruise line ones. We were conned a bit on our first Carnival cruise in Grand Cayman. We fancied the submarine dive (proper sub not just a glass-bottomed boat) and, as you say, difficult and expensive to Google it on the boat to see the detail. It was something like $75 each which "suggested" it included transport from the dock. So when we docked the submarine was a 50 yard walk away from the boat and cost around $30 each. You live and learn.

If we dock in larger places like Lisbon, Cadiz and Barcelona we often grab a ho-ho bus which usually stop at the port gate.

Mick
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The inclusive beverage package is pricey and you need to go some to get vfm - although I think they have capped the number of alcoholic drinks per day. We don’t drink that much so never bought it.
We are not ship tour people - too expensive, big buses, move slowly, but mainly not our thing. We prefer to walk, get public transport, rent a car, pick up a tour in a mini bus at the dock, join a Cruisecritic member organised tour or organise a tour for other CC members. Occasionally, a ship tour may be the best if there are no alternatives or the risk of not getting back to the ship on time is too great eg we did a trip over to the island of St John from St Thomas (USVI) - the risk of being stranded on a different island in case of ferry cancellation wasn’t worth it and the ship tour was only $5pp more that doing it ourselves.
Check the roll call on CC for your cruise (may be a bit early but it will get going).
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
The inclusive beverage package is pricey and you need to go some to get vfm - although I think they have capped the number of alcoholic drinks per day. We don’t drink that much so never bought it.
We are not ship tour people - too expensive, big buses, move slowly, but mainly not our thing. We prefer to walk, get public transport, rent a car, pick up a tour in a mini bus at the dock, join a Cruisecritic member organised tour or organise a tour for other CC members. Occasionally, a ship tour may be the best if there are no alternatives or the risk of not getting back to the ship on time is too great eg we did a trip over to the island of St John from St Thomas (USVI) - the risk of being stranded on a different island in case of ferry cancellation wasn’t worth it and the ship tour was only $5pp more that doing it ourselves.
Check the roll call on CC for your cruise (may be a bit early but it will get going).
We also visited St John on an organised trip from St Thomas. We think that St John was probably the nicest Caribbean island that we've visited.

Mick
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We have just gone through the excursions. We might do an ATV one in Mexico and possibly do the wine country one in San Francisco but we wouldn't do any of the city based SF tours. None of the San Diego tours appeal so we will do that ourselves.

What is the "roll call on CC"?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We have just gone through the excursions. We might do an ATV one in Mexico and possibly do the wine country one in San Francisco but we wouldn't do any of the city based SF tours. None of the San Diego tours appeal so we will do that ourselves.

What is the "roll call on CC"?

This was a tour from SF - we were in a hotel though not on a ship. Any guesses?

Mick
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A roll call on Cruise Critic is where a number of people from the same cruise “get together” and talk about all aspects of their particular cruise. Also, a get together on the ship can be arranged so those people can meet one another in person.

PS Cruise Critic is a forum much like this one, which has a wealth of information on all aspects of cruising and cruise lines and shore excursions and ports of call ... the list is endless.

Edited at 08:14 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Have been on the Royal & Regal (sister ships) and going on the Regal again later this year.
We have done a mini-suite which was lovely but as has been said, a very small balcony. Doing a large, mid-ship interior cabin again as we really enjoyed this style & size last time.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Our first cruise was in 2013, we were both in our 50s. We chose a med cruise with NCL as they have a relaxed attitude to dress code, so no formal nights.
We loved it cruising has now become our holiday of choice.
Since then we have sailed with NCL again, Princess, RCI and P&O with two more booked.
We usually have freedom dining, preferring to sit by ourselves, though we have shared a few times and met some very interesting people.
Your itinerary sounds fab, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 02:17 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

You will have a great time- if you want to check out the ship a bit more then some of the past series of The Cruise on ITV were on the Royal Princess. Or possibly the Regal, but they are the same.

We've done the Crown Princess which is older and enjoyed her a lot. My top tip would be not to miss the twice baked goats cheese souflee in the dining room lol. Or the Chocolate Journeys desserts.

I wouldn't bother paying extra for the speciality restaurants- we had a complimentary meal included at the Crown Grill which was the on board steakhouse and found it very dissapointing. The food in the main dining room was actually better.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List