Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 10 Mar 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweep
I want to go now!

First time Disney cruiser, how does it work ?

Hi ,

Apologies in advance for what might be some really dumb questions but as a first time cruiser I have no idea what to expect or how things work.
Hoping that some Disney cruise veterans will be able to steer me in the right direction.
1. We are staying in the Hyatt at MCO and have arranged Disney transfer on cruise day. Has anyone done this ? What time does this usually get you to Port Canaveral? IS it the regular Magical express check in desk?
2. On the return we are going to WDW so should we take our own luggage off the ship or put it out the night before and pick up once we're off. Trying to imagine 2 of us negotiating approx 4 cases .Do the bus leave at a set time or are there several that go as they fill up?
3.Do you have to take passport when going to Castaway Cay? If so , where do people put it and cameras etc for safety if you want to snorkel , jetski etc ?
4. What time do restaurants open for breakfast and are the sit down restaurants open?
5. Has anyone bought the wine package or is there a wine menu at dinner?
6. Do you need to buy water packages or is it possible to survive with the self service water option?
7. The travel insurance policy covers for cruise but not ship to shore transfer in case of emergency. Is there special cruise insurance and is this an essential requirement in your opinion?

I'm sure that lots of stuff will become clear once we're there but I like to try to know what to expect and this is a whole new learning experience.
Sweep is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
1. We are staying in the Hyatt at MCO and have arranged Disney transfer on cruise day. Has anyone done this ? What time does this usually get you to Port Canaveral? IS it the regular Magical express check in desk?
So I know transfers start at 9am from the airport and so they get in around 10:30-11 I believe. I'm doing this in September transfer wise but not 100% sure where you pick them up from so hopefully someone will tell me

2. On the return we are going to WDW so should we take our own luggage off the ship or put it out the night before and pick up once we're off. Trying to imagine 2 of us negotiating approx 4 cases .Do the bus leave at a set time or are there several that go as they fill up?
So when I last did it they go when full. If you want to walk off and get to WDW as soon as possible then yes its a juggling act with cases but if you are happy to be a bit more leisurely then just put them out the night before. Buses run all morning until the last people are off the shop I believe so there shouldn't be a rush for a set time.

3.Do you have to take passport when going to Castaway Cay? If so , where do people put it and cameras etc for safety if you want to snorkel , jetski etc ?
No. Castaway is basically like being on the ship. In terms of where you put your camera while out, they do have some lockers I believe. I've never been out without someone staying on the beach so neve rhad this dilema.

4. What time do restaurants open for breakfast and are the sit down restaurants open?
So I believe last time I cruises it was around 6am for the buffett and then 7am for the sit down but you can look at previous cruise navigators on disneycruiselineblog and this will give you the relevant times.

5. Has anyone bought the wine package or is there a wine menu at dinner?
There is a wine menu at dinner and you can order some by the glass or the package. I've never done the package as just had soft drinks at dinner.

6. Do you need to buy water packages or is it possible to survive with the self service water option?
I have never brought a wine package. There is water at the pool deck self serve and you get water at dinner. I just take a drinker to carry it around in.

7. The travel insurance policy covers for cruise but not ship to shore transfer in case of emergency. Is there special cruise insurance and is this an essential requirement in your opinion?
So my travel insurance includes cruise cover. Its worth having just in case in my opinion but some people don't.
Old 11 Mar 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweep
I want to go now!

Thank you so much for all of that information, you’ve been really helpful.
Jealous of your countdown
Old 11 Mar 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Thank you so much for all of that information, you’ve been really helpful.
Jealous of your countdown
lol I wouldn't be! May is stressing me out no end as still not organised anything but flights!
Old 11 Mar 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Transfer
If you're staying at the Hyatt, you just let them know when you check in and they will give you some paperwork for your transfer. Sarah is right, it's 9am for the first one - be on it!

Luggage
Either way, you are going to have to take your cases some of the way. Leave them out the evening before and you'll next see them in the customs hall where you (or a porter if you have a spare $5-10) will take them through customs then on to the bus. With DCL transfers back again, they wait until the bus is full before leaving and may go to 2 or 3 resorts depending on numbers. It's not the quickest.

Castaway Cay
There are no lockers there - pretty sure Sarah must have had too many Bahama Mama cocktails! Some people buy little safes that lock to your beach chair, other people (like me) don't care and just take a bag off and leave everything in it!
You will need your ship card (KTTW card) and ID - they have a Bahamian passport control bit now before you get back to the ship.

Breakfast
Cabanas normally opens at 7am (slightly earlier on last morning). Other sit down (menu) breakfast restaurants open a little later.

Wine
To be worth it, you've got to drink 1 bottle a night really. If you don't drink it all, they will bring it to your next restaurant the following evening, or you can take it back to your cabin. Don't forget that you can take on 2 bottles of wine each (over 21 yrs old) for consuming in your cabin anyway. If you want more, you can either do the wine package (don't forget they add on 15% auto gratuity to every 'liquid' package) or just buy it by the glass.

Water
The water is filtered to within an inch of it's life and taste fine (IMHO). You may wish to bring your own bottle if you drink lots of water, plus you can then fill up with ice and water before getting off the ship. Please ensure you use a disposable cup to refill your own bottle/cup at the drinks station. Keep those germs away, you never know what other peoples hygiene is like.

Insurance
Personally, I want to know that I can get medi vac'd off the ship, but it's personal choice. Lots of insurance that is included with bank accounts and the like only cover for cancellation of a cruise or medical expenses while on the cruise. Mine has:
1. Medi vac'd for patient plus family taken care of (hotels etc for duration of any hospital stay)
2. Cabin confinement - must be certified by medical officer onboard, but basically, if you get quarantined, you get money back.
3. Missed ports - too windy to dock? We get a partial refund.
4. Missed excursions - if we can't dock and we miss the trips we've paid for, we get that refunded.
5. All medical, lost luggage and all the normal stuff too.

Hope that helps.
Joa
Old 12 Mar 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Transfer
If you're staying at the Hyatt, you just let them know when you check in and they will give you some paperwork for your transfer. Sarah is right, it's 9am for the first one - be on it!
I'm so glad on this one as that's what I was aiming for!

Castaway Cay
There are no lockers there - pretty sure Sarah must have had too many Bahama Mama cocktails!
Seriously I must have! I could have sworn there were some by the shop but must have imagined them!
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweep
I want to go now!

I’m sure you’ll pull it all together no problem Sarah.

Thanks Joa for all the info. I’ve been going back over previous posts and squirrelling away all the advice.

This is such a fabulous place to get info, tips and advice. Everyone is so generous with their knowledge . It is amazing the little nuggets of advice that you pick up here that can make all the difference to your experience once you’re there.

Thanks again.
Old 13 Mar 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I’m sure you’ll pull it all together no problem Sarah.
Thanks! Definitely need pixie dust this week though as my sisters hip opp might now be in May which means we have to decide to either go without her or rearrange! Honestly this is crazy!

Oh and the 2 bottle of wine to carry on is definitely worth considering. I like a glass when getting ready for dinner in the room and this saved me a fortune on my last cruise. The bottles fit well in the little mini-fridge in the room too
Old 13 Mar 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Thanks! Definitely need pixie dust this week though as my sisters hip opp might now be in May which means we have to decide to either go without her or rearrange! Honestly this is crazy!

Oh and the 2 bottle of wine to carry on is definitely worth considering. I like a glass when getting ready for dinner in the room and this saved me a fortune on my last cruise. The bottles fit well in the little mini-fridge in the room too
If you need a roomie .. #JustSaying!

For Sweep .. Sarah and I forgot to mention that not only can you take on 2 bottles (or 6 lagers/beers) each when you get onboard, but you also take the same allowance on at each port.
Old 14 Mar 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
If you need a roomie .. #JustSaying!

For Sweep .. Sarah and I forgot to mention that not only can you take on 2 bottles (or 6 lagers/beers) each when you get onboard, but you also take the same allowance on at each port.
Yes true! An added bonus -