Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
Just what I was looking for-thank you Dibbers. I’ve always used Alamo before this confirms if the rental prices aren’t too different it’s worth sticking with them-I usually only incur tolls on three or four days so don’t really want to pay for whole rental period!
One more day and you would be on the $19.95 plus tolls!

But in your case it would be cheaper using cash tolls.

For us the max extra we would pay would be $19.95 because we would have to pay the tolls either in cash or by tollpass. For that price, I don’t have to worry about having change, missing a toll ( see micks photo if you drove straight on in error), coming against an unmanned toll that’s notorious for blocking up with cash etc. I just have to concentrate on driving. For the price of 3 Big Mac Meals it’s good value for us, but it’s a personal choice. There is nothing at all wrong with what you propose what to do.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
One more day and you would be on the $19.95 plus tolls!

But in your case it would be cheaper using cash tolls.
Yes I used to pay cash then decided to have an easier life! Particularly driving straight off the plane.

That and the cashless toll off Jetport drive got me every time on the way back to the airport

Mrs Mickie always likes a last look at the Florida Mall and I always forget the toll free route!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Just to clarify that Alamo toll days are the same as your rental days. So if you pick your car up at 4pm your toll admin charge will reset at 4pm each day.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Am I correct in thinking the maximum toll admin fee ($19.95) is for rental period regardless of length? So, if you hire for 7 or 28 days it is the same $19.95 max?
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Am I correct in thinking the maximum toll admin fee ($19.95) is for rental period regardless of length? So, if you hire for 7 or 28 days it is the same $19.95 max?
All explained in the link in PPM post #2.

For example Alamo "for rental period" appears not to be limited For Avis "30 days" though

Mick
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

Sorry to jump in,this has probably been answered before but do you have to sign up for the toll pass or is it automatically included and charged if used
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by goldendelicious View Post
Sorry to jump in,this has probably been answered before but do you have to sign up for the toll pass or is it automatically included and charged if used
I believe that Dollar are a bit different to all the others. You have to leave your youngest child at the airport desk as security.

But certainly with Alamo and Avis you do absolutely nothing at the airport or wherever you pick up your car.

It is all toll by plate in Florida. Just drive through any lane without stopping, the camera will take a photo of your plate and you will be charged in due course for the tolls plus the admin fee. May hit your CC up to 6 weeks later and may even be in more than two transactions.

If your car has a transponder (as some Avis do) just switch it off. Sunpass toll by plate will work either way.

Mick

Edited at 01:20 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks Mick, don't know why we've never used it before for $20 ish dollars it has to be worth doing always tried to avoid toll roads before,even to and from the airport is going to be much better not having to pull in and pay.
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by goldendelicious View Post
Thanks Mick, don't know why we've never used it before for $20 ish dollars it has to be worth doing always tried to avoid toll roads before,even to and from the airport is going to be much better not having to pull in and pay.
If your villa is in the Davenport area and you use 417 south from MCO you'll go through two manned tolls as my pic. Around $1.50/$1.75 each.

You may leave on either Osceola or 192. There will be an unmanned toll at around a dollar.

But using Sunpass just drive through. All lanes are Sunpass enabled ones - even the manned ones. But just stay left on my pic and keep driving at the speed limited. You don't slow to pass a kiosk there.

Mick
Old 21 Mar 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

We're usually on Calabay parc so yes your route is spot on... just looking if there are any other "useful" toll roads :-))