Old 6 Apr 15, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Day 1- Universal Studios

Thanks everyone, I have another day up now and hope you enjoy. The rest will probably have to wait till we're back now as the iPad is cramping my style a little

Day 1 - Universal Studios

Breakfast - Sassagoula Floatworks

Breakfast was at the POFQ food court. We were up and ready at main opening time of 7 thanks to the jet lag. DW and I both went for variations on the Bounty Platter and DD the kids equivalent, I had a coffee and DD water (having already drunk an apple juice and eaten a cereal bar earlier that morning). Lots of swapping stuff around while we all worked out what we liked, generally we ate about 2/3 of a portion each.

This was all ok, the usual US breakfast with good scrambled egg, hard bacon, different sausage, (salty scone) biscuits etc. and syrup on tap. I made a discovery that while the Mickey waffle looks horrible it can taste divine, this was a real surprise, light fluffy and delicious.

The plan was then for DW to drop DD and I at Universal Studios for the day while she relaxed, shopped etc. as a first day preference. She was a little nervous driving on her own Day 1 but aside from getting lost numerous times it worked out.

Edited at 04:24 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 15, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews

Lunch - Margaritaville Universal Citywalk (a tale of 2 flights)

Just DD and I for this early lunch reservation. We'd hit the parks hard from 8 with DD amazing me by going on and loving everything up to and including Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit which she made the height for with nothing to spare. Serious hunger built up here!

Drinks wise I went for a Margarita flight which was awesome. DD had apple juice (hereafter to be described as the usual) and we both had iced water. Margarita flight:

Apologies if the order is wrong here, I lost track during the explanation waiting to get stuck into the tasting. Possibly left to right:
1 Last Mango in Paris - ok but not my favourite, not enough of a mango hit but still pretty good
2 Watermelon this was nice, restrained and with a good flavour from the melon
3 Fins to the Left - this was lush, sour sweet tangy salty mmm
4 Who's to Blame this was not quite so good, salty without a lot else, a little like a regular margarita without the lime I reckon.

What the menu said:

15 minutes later

None were overpowered with tequila so nothing too strong (didn't feel remotely tipsy) but some lovely flavours. The service in here was excellent BTW (often find it is for father daughter combo) and the server got a nice tip.

Me - Volcano burger with sweet potato fries. This looked not as pretty as the online pics but still v tempting. It's a big burger with added cheese sauce, chilli, pickled jalapeņos, guacamole and tortilla bits to give it a nice crunch. I had an amazing SuperBowl slider at a food fest last year and this sounded similar so high hopes. A bit like the Real Madrid galacticos of the early 2000's - this had all the right ingredients but it somehow didn't come together to fulfil its potential. Lacked seasoning and overall depth of flavour to make it legendary. The sweet potato fries were ok if a little sweet for me.

DD went for chicken tenders and fries. Pretty standard but she enjoyed, served with a honey mustard sauce that was again very sweet. She doesn't like the flavour of honey mustard anyway so it went untouched.

We went all in on dessert with the second flight of the meal. This was a selection of 5 shooter size desserts, actually the shooters were pretty large and solid:

From left to right, these were
1 Chocolate Mousse (very nice, extremely rich DD had a good go at this).
2 Peanut butter (full of peanut goodness and Reeses pieces. Denser than concrete, I had a fair go at this one)
3 Red velvet (first time I've tried red velvet this was omg amazing like a cakey cheesecake. I almost finished it)
4 Dirt and Worms (a lighter mousse type dessert with gummy snakes. DD removed the snakes and ate the rest)
5 Carrot Cake (this was a straightforward deconstructed carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Without the others this may have got some love but it went largely untouched in this company.

We only managed around half here, could have used DW's help! After this we were a little compromised and limited ourselves to waddling round a few more attractions in the increasing heat before bailing mid afternoon when tiredness started to kick in. In hindsight it was then a mistake for us all to go swimming for an hour

Edited at 04:19 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 15, 04:03 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews

Dinner - Bahama Breeze fail:

Sometime early evening about an hour after getting back I hit the wall in a big way and started to feel awful. Probably the effect of sun, jet lag and walking miles on not enough sleep. We still attempted to drive to Bahama Breeze for our planned dinner but I still felt rough, DD pretty much passed out in the car and we got lost trying to find either the restaurant or a Walmart and gave it up.

Back to the food court where DW went for pot roast and DD the adult chicken parm (see my pic from travel day). DD liked this but was not able to do it justice on the night. Saw off a large chocolate milk no problem though. I picked a tiny bit at both meals but otherwise passed after a major food splurge earlier in the day.

It didn't look great (photo not included!) but the pot roast was decent, we both love a bit of brisket and the mash was good too. Cornbread is a weird cake thing masquerading as bread but is also tasty. I at this stage felt a complete recovery and started bouncing around again DW then used snack credits for some nuts and that rounds off a long day.

Step count 21500 is more like it.

Edited at 07:36 PM.
Old 6 Apr 15, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alladinneed View Post
Change the schedule, never nah we're realising that pretty quickly. I didn't notify the hotel it was coming but it comes back to me now that I did check the garden grocer FAQ which explains it. Hopefully via this link gardengrocer/questions and a search on disney you can see all the hotels they deliver to I've no idea if it's all of them so good memory prompt thx.

Gotta run, off to Narcoosees
Thanks again for link, very helpful

Hope you enjoyed Narcoosee's, we have it booked for our first time on 4th July and then able to watch the fireworks that night, really looking forward to it

Edited at 07:55 AM.
Dancin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 15, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dancin View Post
Thanks again for link, very helpful

Hope you enjoyed Narcoosee's, we have it booked for our first time on 4th July and then able to watch the fireworks that night, really looking forward to it
Without wanting to give anything away, Narcoosees was amazing. You're there for Independence Day so it's sure to be buzzing wonder if they do any special fireworks
Old 7 Apr 15, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alladinneed View Post
Without wanting to give anything away, Narcoosees was amazing. You're there for Independence Day so it's sure to be buzzing wonder if they do any special fireworks
Glad to hear Narcoosees was fab, looking forward to reading it in your report

There are special fireworks in MK for 4th July (also shown on 3rd July for practice, or so I have read on other threads) so looking forward to watching them from the restaurant

We loved Margaritaville when we were there in 2013 and will probably go back again this year when staying at RPR

Edited at 02:30 PM.
Dancin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 15, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Jewelsm
Proud to wear my Ears

QUOTE Sometime early evening about an hour after getting back I hit the wall in a big way and started to feel awful. Probably the effect of sun, jet lag and walking miles on not enough sleep. We still attempted to drive to Bahama Breeze for our planned dinner but I still felt rough, DD pretty much passed out in the car and we got lost trying to find either the restaurant or a Walmart and gave it up. QUOTE

Hope you are feeling much better now and are all back to having gipun and enjoupying yiur holiday. Thank you for sharing your trip with us all.
Jewelsm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 15, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Yeah we're doing great thanks, nearing the end of the holiday now though I'll have to watch the tendency towards melodrama in some of my descriptions.

Dancin I loved Margaritaville, considered the Hard Rock Cafe also before settling on this. I know a lot of people like it but the pictures of Bubba Gumps food just didn't appeal to me (I can only eat so much breaded/battered seafood), they have also just opened a London branch if I suddenly get the urge - to some atrocious early reviews I noticed.

In case anyone is wondering btw those Margarita flight glasses in the Margaritaville pic are very small, see the relative size of the salt and pepper pots in the background. The dessert flight on the other hand is humongous
Old 12 Apr 15, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

Can't wait for the rest of this food report that margarita flight looks awesome.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 15, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
All back safely now and had a wonderful time. Planning to post up a new day every Monday evening starting with Day 2 tomorrow (brace yourselves Cinderella's Royal Table )