Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Jul 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have only been looking for the Friday up until now - Ticketmaster who are the official US Open Tennis sellers for normal and resale, and this site, for the Friday everything appears to be resale.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
I have only been looking for the Friday up until now - Ticketmaster who are the official US Open Tennis sellers for normal and resale, and this site, for the Friday everything appears to be resale.
Ah right I see, I can imagine it being quite busy for the Friday if people decide to make a weekend of it. We only ever go in the first week as we have to be back for school starting in Sept.
Just wanted to give you another few tips...
Bring a plastic water bootle (they won't allow one of the metal type ones) as water is incredibly expensive...I think $10 for a 2 litre bottle last year! There are tons of fountains and the water tastes like rubbish but if you add some of the Robinsons juice things then its fine.
If you plan on staying really late (we watched Dan Evan/Alex Zverev til about 1.30am a few years ago) then it can get a bit chilly so would bring a hoodie or something.
The Brits don't tend to get a lot of supporters so if you want to watch Konta/Watson/Edmund then you can get practically courtside if they are not one one of the show courts. I will post a pic of Kyle Edmund later from my phone. We were sat right behind his seat! It was amazing!
You can get a charger to connect to your phone if it is running low on battery. There a a few Chase kiosks that will give you a portable charger to carry around for the day. Just drop it into one of their bins when you leave.
Im sure I will think of more!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We went in 2012. We booked tickets through Ticketmaster for the opening ceremony. We got to see Federer and Clijesters.

We arrived far too early thinking we would get to walk around but were not allowed in until the earlier sessions had finished.

We bought tickets from the ticket office there for a couple of days later and saw Andy and Sharapova.

Take a very small bag as they are very strict about the size and lots of people were turned away.

I have to say we were disappointed with people round about us talking and drinking I think we expected silence.

Have a fantastic time
Old 14 Jul 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Some pics from last year...

Kyle Edmund

Alex Zverev

Heather Watson on the practice court

And a raccoon having lunch from a bin!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Well I have changed our plans and booked tickets for the Thursday, 2nd round. Arthur Ashe top level, $212 for a pair of tickets - by the time I booked the prices had started increasing, week before they were cheaper than this.
We arrive in Baltimore on Tuesday evening, and had planned to spend 2 nights there - picking up car day after arrival. Now just spending one night there. On the Wednesday we will drive up to New York with a couple of stops.

TBH, would have been easier now if we had flown into New York and not booked the car so early, but no point in trying to change flight and car rental bookings at this late stage, have ruled out of staying in Manhattan due to having car and price of parking, and looked at Long Island - but have decided to stick with our original hotel in New Jersey.
Day of tennis will be 10 minute hotel shuttle to Secaucaus NJ Transit station, 15 mins to Penn Station NY, then tale the Long Island Railroad Train to the stadium, think we have to do last bit on the 7 subway line. LIRR is three times the price but quicker and more comfortable, $7.50 per person each way.

Just hope it all goes to plan!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Well I have changed our plans and booked tickets for the Thursday, 2nd round. Arthur Ashe top level, $212 for a pair of tickets - by the time I booked the prices had started increasing, week before they were cheaper than this.
We arrive in Baltimore on Tuesday evening, and had planned to spend 2 nights there - picking up car day after arrival. Now just spending one night there. On the Wednesday we will drive up to New York with a couple of stops.

TBH, would have been easier now if we had flown into New York and not booked the car so early, but no point in trying to change flight and car rental bookings at this late stage, have ruled out of staying in Manhattan due to having car and price of parking, and looked at Long Island - but have decided to stick with our original hotel in New Jersey.
Day of tennis will be 10 minute hotel shuttle to Secaucaus NJ Transit station, 15 mins to Penn Station NY, then tale the Long Island Railroad Train to the stadium, think we have to do last bit on the 7 subway line. LIRR is three times the price but quicker and more comfortable, $7.50 per person each way.

Just hope it all goes to plan!
Sounds great! We have got tickets for Tuesday and will do Wednesday as well I think. Just waiting to see the weather forecast before we decide fully. Hope you have a great time. Don't forget to have a look at the practice court schedule too as whoever isn't playing that day will no doubt be on the practice courts. Get there early for a good seat if it is Rafa or Roger though as it fills up pretty quick.
Old 11 Sep 18, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

How did you enjoy the Open George? Hope you have a good holiday!👍🏻
Old 20 Sep 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Just got home last night - really enjoyed our day at the US Open, although it was baking hot, over 100 degF.
When we arrived, we had a walk around, and went to the practice courts where we enjoyed watching Serena Williams and plenty others.
Just before 12 we headed for the Arthur Ashe Stadium and got a couple of drinks and food and took our seat (they know how to charge - like all big sporting events - I thought given the heat the amount being charged for water was steep - but there are water fountains. (obviously I forgot about the tips above about taking a plastic bottle) - I should add I also saw people going about with small backpack's - so some people manage to get stuff in.
We watched the women's match, Larsson v Kerber, and I was sure it was going to be an easy win in 2 sets for Kerber, but Larsson had a great fightback to win the 2nd set 7-5 but the German was too good for her in the final set.
We then watched the great Roger Federer beat the Frenchman B Praire in 3 sets, and some great tennis, but straightforward win for Roger.

We were lucky our promenade seats were in the shade until almost 4 PM. Before then people were not sitting in the sun and just moving to the empty seats, but that was more difficult when the Federer match started and the stadium started to get more full.

We then went round the outside courts, but we were heading for the lull between the afternoon and evening sessions, and caught the end of Jamie Murray's mens doubles, and were 1 ft away from him as he came off court.
We watched a little more doubles, had a walk around, went into the Amex Visitor centre where there was a line for the refreshment and free goody section or I would have gone there being quite a good Amex customer.

Loved the day there, and if Thursday is supposed to be quieter, glad we went then as the place was pretty rammed.

We took the Long Island Railway (we were $25 return for 2, one peak and one off peak) out and back from Penn Station, very easy and lot's of people using this service.

Would I go back, absolutely, was very disappointed Andy Murray was out. It's not Wimbledon (have not been) - people in Promenade continue to talk during match and even at lower levels people move about during play - but the players seem to accept it.

I only saw it on TV, and while I have some sympathy for Serena and women over the difference in penalties from the men, her conduct simply was not tennis as far as I am concerned, but at least thankfully she saw she was having a terrible effect on the worthy champion and asked the crowd to stop booing and give her the credit she deserved.

Edited at 09:01 PM.
Old 20 Sep 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
The holiday was great, and I have notes for a trippy, but am manically busy and don't know when I will get to it.
Was a bit cool and wet when we left Cape Cod for Syracuse and Niagra, and in Washington last couple of days we got some rain from Florence - and it was heartbreaking seeing the effect of that storm on the Carolina's, and even on Tuesday when we left water levels were still rising. We went to Annopolis in the afternoon, some flooded streets there from the heavy rain, and we had to leave before we would have liked due to torrential downpours, but had a great time. The grandkids will be well clothed next year!
Old 21 Sep 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Sounds like you had a brilliant time George. We had tickets on Arthur Ashe on the Tuesday and Wednesday. We watched Andy Murray lose against Verdasco sadly. I think the heat must have been really bothering him as we were sweltering and were sitting in the shade and he really looked like he was struggling. It was 108 degrees on the Tuesday and was unbearable at times. However we had a brilliant time and watched lots of tennis and DS got lots of autographs. We took water bottles and one of those little Robinsons concentrated things in with us thankfully as $7 for a bottle of water was astronomical I thought. Totally agree with you comments re Serena Williams. There is no place for that in tennis, she is beginning to think she is bigger than the game.