Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 19 Sep 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Been watching this thread for a couple of weeks as we are off to the Gulf Coast on Sept 29th

two weeks on AMI then 11 nights at Bonita Springs near Naples

I get the MOTE beach alerts twice a day and some days it seems to be improving then back to square one

So sad for the people with businesses there, we have been visiting for over 15 years and love the places on that side
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Thanks Sophie hin, it's rattled my cage as I was forever encouraging Dibbers to visit the Gulf Coast (and still hope some will, even after all this devastation), singing the Gulf coast praises time and again and feel dreadful for those who booked stays. Didn't think I could get much more disappointed, thought I was taking the expect the worst line, but when I saw SW Fl/Sanibel/Ft Myers Beach took another hammering last weekend plus red tide in the Fl Panhandle it still came as a disappointing shock, I'd obviously kidded myself it was getting better.

I know it'll (eventually!) get better but that doesn't help those who may have lost funds/deposits from hotels - what might help, I believe businesses are obliged to return all monies when a State of Emergency is declared, as it was for Fl. For anybody reading this who wishes to cancel, it's worth using the SofE when requesting monetary return.
Where can I find this state of emergency info? I think I had better be prepared with the insurance company

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Where can I find this state of emergency info? I think I had better be prepared with the insurance company
This is link to Governor Scott’s site and quotes the actual reference.

flgov/2018/08/13/gov...-for-red-tide/
Old 19 Sep 18, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
This is link to Governor Scott’s site and quotes the actual reference.

flgov/2018/08/13/gov...-for-red-tide/
Thanks

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Hi Sophie,

Just to let you know, I’ve emailed our Clearwater resort (Opal Sands) to ask where we stand as we’d booked a non refundable rate and pre paid. I’m pleased to say they’ve replied advising that, despite the non refundable rate, they are willing to allow a penalty free cancellation if necessary given the current situation. We’re going to hold off a bit longer in case there is any improvement but it’s a relief to know we can cancel if the situation doesn’t get better.

Might be worth contacting your resort? You don’t ask, you don’t get!
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

I have just emailed the Sandpearl in Clearwater. We are off there for six nights next week. This is their reply:

"Fortunately there has been very little impact on our beach. Last Saturday morning we had a few dead fish and some fish odor (but not a rotting odor). The fish were cleaned up that morning, and we’ve had no dead fish or smell since. The gulf water is a normal color, and people are swimming in it.

We are very grateful that we’ve had none of the terrible problems that they’ve had to the south of us, and we are hopeful this will continue. We are offering free early departures and free cancellations to anyone who is concerned about the red tide.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. And feel free to email me if you would like to check again before your arrival."
Old 20 Sep 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

What is Siesta Key like at the moment?
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
Looking lovely on the live BeachCam atm.
Old 21 Sep 18, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We have regrettably decided to cancel our week long trip to AMI

I have been keeping in touch via email with the owner of the apartment and she has said she will refund our deposit in full

My husband has lung issues due to an enzyme deficiency and although he is fine has been told to avoid any lung irritants

Gutted we arent going but thats nothing to how the local businesses must be feeling.

Edited at 05:56 AM.
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
We were at Siesta Key on Monday and it was heartbreaking. No more than 30 people on the beach between the four lifeguards towers, a strong smell of decay and dark water. We left within 30 minutes as two of us had started coughing.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List