Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Sep 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Oh I can live with $8 for a once off treat, thanks for the info!
Worth every cent as well. You will see a little more about the Amorette's treats int eh coming days.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Chicken Guy is on our list, I think my OH is looking forward it more than anywhere else, I’m glad the food was nice. I’ve been agonising over which sauce to have for months as I love a dip, I really want to get them all but $11 on dips is a bit OTT even for me who believes holiday money isn’t really money.
Well, you can definitely save $1 and not bother with the teriyaki and the sweet n sour.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
There’s Boursin in the Beaches & Cream grilled cheese, I’ve always thought it was a little odd they didn’t list the cheese included on the menu, great service to get you a replacement, compare that to ‘Ohana where you paid for a meal that didn’t ever get served! We’ve always had excellent service there and I’ve often thought of how unfair is the tips earned there are compared to more expensive restaurants.
Ah, Boursin - that makes sense. It does seem weird they didn't list it on the menu, however my replacement plain grilled cheese was yummy.

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Amorettes cakes look divine, glad they taste as good as the look.

And a free kitchen sink wow
They really are good, I may pay another visit as there were lots more I would like to try.

I know, I still have no idea why we got that free kitchen sink and I was just gutted I was too full to eat any of it.

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
I think I'd have an email complain to disney re Ohana service and lack of veggie option. I agree it's better to complain at time but fully understand why you didn't. It's only after several people have told you what the veggie meal should be and looking back that you realise just how shoddy your veggie option was.
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Oh my I would email Disney about Ohana, the veggie entre was missing! Poor Lynda!
So, actually, I did email Disney last night, really just to be able to draw a line under it. i have asked for - and expect - nothing, other than to know that my feedback is noted and steps taken to ensure others don't have a similar experience.

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Great to see the cocktails making a return, I'm looking forward to trying Trader Sams.

Love Beaches and Cream👍
I do feel like I have been sadly lacking on the cocktail front. I must try harder in November

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Checking in, Joh

Disappointed but not surprised with your 'Ohana verdict. I so so so want to love it here, but having had three reasonably rubbish (mediocre probably a fairer assessment!) times there, it's now permanently off our list (and those were free dining; real money must have hurt!)
Hey Karen, yes it's permanently off our list now too - and I did make that clear in my email last night.

Originally Posted by summersun View Post
really enjoying this x
Thanks - and thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
All caught up!
I completely fell in love with Abracadabar this trip and wish I had visited more than once
Beaches and Cream looked like fun and yay for the free kitchen sink
I wouldn't be averse to a return trip to Abracadabar in November, if time permits

Beaches & Cream was fun, you missed out there

Edited at 08:00 PM.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm glad you emailed Disney. Although I'm not veggie, my mum, sister and brother are- it makes me mad when they are treated like an afterthought or inconvenience when eating out!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I'm glad you emailed Disney. Although I'm not veggie, my mum, sister and brother are- it makes me mad when they are treated like an afterthought or inconvenience when eating out!
I just felt like, if I did it, I could just draw a line under it for once and for all.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
7 Carnivores and a Vegetarian

Sunday 26th August

Joffrey’s

No breakfast today, other than a very quick pit stop at Joffrey’s, where Gary got a hot tea and one of these…

Twist Donut

Kim and Terry got a couple of sweet treats too

Total cost - $6.54 (with 20% Passholder discount) (paid cash)

Yak & Yeti

When we were making our reservations, we were unable to make one ADR for our group of 8 so Kim and I made separate reservations, for 4 people each, 15 minutes apart. We were pretty hungry by 1 o’clock so, despite still having 45 minutes until the first of our reservations, we went to Yak & Yeti to see if we could be seated early. I flashed my Landry’s card to see if it would help. I have no idea if it did or not but we were able to be seated 10 minutes later.

We had separate tables – boys at one and girls at another – right next to each other, in the downstairs front section. This was my third time dining here and I have yet to be seated elsewhere. Because we had separate tables, we somehow had separate servers too, which was a little complicated but they managed brilliantly, to give them their due. Drinks were duly ordered.

Yak Attack

Cheers!

Rea had a Daiquiri (you can just see it in the background), I don’t remember exactly which flavour but I know it wasn’t Mango. Kim had unsweet iced tea and Linda had a Margarita.

Daniel had a Virgin Mango Daiquiri, but I don’t have a picture because the boys were slackers as far as photos were concerned. Gary had a Diet Coke and Ben an Angry Orchard.

After I had chit-chatted with a friend from a DVC FaceBook group who was also dining here, we ordered our food. I was very impressed when Linda ordered hers and the server, noting she was a vegetarian, checked she would be OK with the fish sauce in the dish. I won’t cover what she, Kim and Terry had. Needless to say, Linda’s had tofu in it and she MADE me try it. Ugh, I could never be a vegetarian I do believe she has pictures of my reaction, however they are not flattering. Didn’t stop her from plastering them on FaceBook of course

Me - Korean BBQ Ribs and an extra side (half rack) of ribs, shared with Rhiannon

Gary – Crispy Honey Chicken

Ben – Korean BBQ Beef

Daniel – Combination Lo Mein

The guys also, sneakily, got some egg rolls but didn’t mention them so we didn’t get to try them.

The ribs were really good, if a little spicy. The fries were a bit cold for my liking, but it was fine. There was so much meat on the ribs, though, and it just fell off the bone.

Ben said his was delicious and Gary and Daniel both really enjoyed what they had.

Kim had the wok fried green beans and said they were a definite 10!
Things got a little complicated, as I said, when it came to splitting the bill as Kim and Terry were paying for themselves, and so was Linda. But we managed. I was a bit peeved that I wasn’t able to get the points on my Landry’s Card, because I was using a DVC discount, despite having previously been able to do it here.

Final scores:
Joh – 8
Gary - 9.5
Rea – 9 (can easily share the ribs – loads of meat and plenty of fries)
Ben – 9
Daniel – 8.5

Atmosphere – 9 (it was very loud, but fit very well with the Asian theme)
Service – 9 (loved the fact that Priscilla picked up on the fish sauce in Linda’s dish and they were great about us needing the bill split a million different ways)

Total cost - $175.00
Total remaining on FairFX - $1223.69

Nomad Lounge

For those who don’t know, Nomad Lounge is a lounge/bar attached to Tiffins, the newest restaurant at Animal Kingdom. Situated at the entrance to Pandora, it is heavily themed around travel. The lounge itself is beautiful and tranquil, so much so that you could easily forget that you are in the middle of a busy theme park. The wraparound porch/patio area is just as tranquil, though, somewhat surprisingly and today this is where we opted to sit. They offer some interesting (and very strong) mixed drinks, as well as a full bar and a (fairly limited) ‘small bites’ menu.

After perusing the menu, we decided on drinks – cocktails all round – Non Alcoholic, obviously, for Daniel and fully loaded for me and Linda. We also ordered some churros.

I had the Lamu Libation and Linda chose the Snow Leopard Salvation (seen in the back in the second picture).

Daniel had the Lilly Gorillie

The churros were absolutely delicious and came with two dips, vanilla and chocolate chilli.

Total cost - $40.00 (inc TIW discount)
Total remaining on FairFX - $1183.69

Leaping Horse Libations

I needed to stay hydrated so had to have a drink while we were at the pool. My normal drink of choice here would be the Poolside Lemonade but very few bartenders at Disney know how to make it now, as it hasn’t been on the menus for several years. Joe, my favourite Bartender at Boardwalk, makes the BEST Poolside Lemonade but, unfortunately, there was no sign of him today, so I had to settle for a Tilt-a-Whirl from the regular bar menu here.

Unfortunately, the rain started coming down pretty heavy, so our pool visit was cut short but, as this was my third cocktail today, it might not have been a bad thing

Total cost - $14.00 (inc tip) (charged to room)

The Fountain

We weren’t overly hungry this evening, having had a big lunch, but we all wanted something. We didn’t want to venture far so I suggested The Fountain, which is situated at the Dolphin resort. This is a favourite of ours and we have dined there a few times while staying at the Swan/Dolphin.

We were seated at a high counter in the centre of the restaurant. We had an initial issue when Rea and Ben could smell something unpleasant on the counter (possibly from it being wiped down with a dirty cloth) but Casey, our server, cleaned it down for us and it was fine after that.

Sorry to disappoint you, my dear readers, but there was no alcohol consumed and we all had soda in one form or another. The menu here is essentially diner-type food but lots of choice. I already knew what I wanted and the others soon decided.

Joh – Grilled Cheese

Gary – Chicken Noodle Soup (Daniel had the same)

Rhiannon – Chips and salsa

Ben – Hot dog with onion rings and fries

The food was freshly cooked, hot and pretty tasty. It was above average fast food, essentially. I like the fact that DVC Members get a 20% discount here. They do great milkshakes and ice cream sundaes too, but I had promised Daniel ice cream from Ample Hills tonight so we skipped dessert here.

Total cost - $60.00 (inc DVC discount)
Total remaining on FairFX - $1163.69

Ample Hills Ice Cream

We wandered over to Ample Hills for dessert, after our dinner at The Fountain. The Boardwalk is a great place to hang out in the evening and what better way to hang out and people watch than with some delicious ice cream? In my opinion, Ample Hills is up there with Ghirardelli as the best ice cream place at Walt Disney World. When we stayed at Boardwalk last summer, we literally went every day!

I had a single scoop of Ooey Gooey Butter Cake with hot fudge

Daniel had an ice cream sandwich made with chocolate chip cookies and Baked Unbaked ice cream. For some reason I didn't get a picture of his (probably because he had started eating it before I got outside.

Gary didn’t feel like dessert and Rea bought her own, so I don’t have a picture of hers either.

Not sure how much this was but I paid cash. No discounts offered here.
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Great food pics today ! What’s in a poolside lemonade ?
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Great food pics today ! What’s in a poolside lemonade ?
It's Bacardi O (orange), Bacardi Razz, sweet & sour mix and Sprite. It is so tart and sweet and fruity and refreshing.
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

That day in Animal Kingdom was one of my favourite of the trip.
Yak and Yeti was delicious 😋
Oh and just FYI, I've had tofu 3 times this week 👍🏻
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
A Meat Lover's Paradise

Monday 27th August

Apologies in advance, it feels like today is a little light on pictures. It certainly wasn't light on food!

Joffrey’s

After traipsing around Hollywood Studios, trying to find somewhere to get a drink and a snack, we ended up at good old Joffrey’s again. I don’t know about there being a Starbucks on every corner, feels like there is a Joffrey’s.

We had a frozen lemonade, diet coke, cinnamon donut twist and a cinnamon roll. I didn’t get any photos as I was actually sulking at the time

Total cost - $14.79 (paid cash)

Backlot Express

Daniel, Gary and I shared two portions of chicken nuggets and Darth Vader waffles. You can’t beat a waffle with Darth’s face on. We also got a Galactic Lemonade (me) and a Wild Cherry Slushie (Gary). These came with free waters, which were from a soda machine at which you served yourself, so we could have easily got soda if we chose to.

Rea and Ben shared a cheeseburger.

My Galactic Lemonade was good but a bit too Guava-ey, if that’s a word. I added a bit of Sprite (Rea and Ben had got soda with their meal) to it and that helped.

The nuggets were really delicious – you just cannot beat Disney World chicken nuggets. And the waffles were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. The perfect combo. I couldn’t quite bring myself to add the syrup.

Manny’s Chophouse

We went offsite for dinner tonight, and it had to be Manny’s. My family loves steak and Manny’s is a firm favourite. If we’d still had the car, we would possibly have driven down to Haines City to the original but we were Uber-ing so Kissimmee it was.
We were quite early and didn’t have to wait for a table, which is practically unheard of. We had a large booth, with plenty of room for the 7 of us.

I ordered a Cosmopolitan, my first since arriving in Orlando.

Rea had a Fuzzy Mango (you can see it in this picture)

Ben had a Bud (well, actually, two as it was Happy Hour), Gary and Daniel had soda.

Sadly, I had forgotten that Manny’s does not make a good Cosmo. Too much vodka and not enough lime, the balance was all wrong. I was a little disappointed. But I still drank it

We were brought a big basket of rolls, which were absolutely divine. I may have had at least 4. Or 5.

We also got the salad and our server had happily catered to my fussy lot and removed the offensive onions, tomatoes and dressing. He brought them separate for those who did want them though.

We ordered our meals, with most of us opting for steak, except Daniel who decided he fancied salmon.

We enjoyed drawing on the paper tablecloth while we waited for the food.

Joh – 6 oz Center Cut Steak with Shrimp and loaded fries

Gary – 14 oz Rib Eye with loaded baked potato

Rhiannon – Boneless Pork Chop with Mac & Cheese

Ben – 9 oz Center Cut Steak with fries and a side of onion rings

Daniel - Teriyaki Salmon with rice and loaded fries

I also managed to sneak pictures of Kim and Terry’s meals:

6 oz Center Cut Steak with Coconut Shrimp and loaded baked potato

Prime Rib with loaded baked potato

The food was amazing. I don’t think there was a single thing wrong with any of it. I love my food piping hot and everything came out really fresh and so delicious.

At one point, just after we’d got our meals, I asked Daniel “How’s your salmon?” and Terry replied “Gone!” He literally inhaled it, he said it was amazing.

I think the only person who didn't finish was Terry, however he was struggling this evening. He hadn’t slept very well the night before and was very tired. So I don’t think he finished his meal, but not because it didn’t taste good.

We had no room for dessert, sadly.

Our server was very happy to split the bill for us, so Kim and Terry paid separately.

Total cost - $155.00
Total left on FairFX - $1008.69

Late night snack

Later that night, while sitting in bed writing up my trip report notes, I cracked open the massive bag of Sour Patch Kids that Kim and Terry had brought us

Edited at 10:01 PM.
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
That day in Animal Kingdom was one of my favourite of the trip.
Yak and Yeti was delicious 😋
Oh and just FYI, I've had tofu 3 times this week 👍🏻
It was a great day, we had a lot of fun. And I still don't like tofu
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Love Mannys .Your doodlings are fab x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List