Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Sep 18, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Questions: Anaheim, Accommodation, budgets

I hate posting multiple threads so I thought I'd gather a few of my questions here. Trip is July 2019 so still in early stages of planning and no doubt plans will change many times before we get there! Family of four, 2a, 2c (aged 13 & 10 at time of trip). 15 nights, flying in and out of LAX.

1. Is there anything else to do around Anaheim apart from Disney? My brother (who lives in LA) is keen for us to go to Disney with him and his partner but the cost is very high (about $1000 for two day tickets which is a lot of money to us). He thinks he may be able to get us free/cheap tickets but I doubt if he will, and he won't know until very near the time... If there is plenty of other stuff in the area (I think the Knotts berry water park is nearby?) then I don't mind booking a couple of nights in Anaheim. Any thoughts?

2. Accommodation recommendations? Just looking for personal experiences of hotels in the following: Burbank (considering the Tangerine or Safari Inn at the mo), Around Joshua Tree (have looked at twentynine Palms and Palm Springs, any other towns to consider?), Anaheim, San Diego. I'm particularly interested in lower budget hotels/motels as I think we are very much at the lower end of the scale! I had initially budgeted £100 per night and now realise that it will be more like £150 per night and much shabbier hotels than I anticipated. Also interested in places with suite style accommodation e.g. kitchen facilities, more space etc.

3. Budget: Any tips on keeping the budget down? We will spend what we need to in order to make the trip happen and to enjoy ourselves but I've been a bit taken aback looking at how much it will cost I'm happy to cut back on hotels in order to enjoy doing stuff, but if you stay in a budget motel what is it like? For a bit of context we're perfectly happy with the average premier inn and we stayed in Red Roof Inns in New Jersey and Boston a few years back which were 'fine'. Are there particular locations where it's better/worse to cut back on things? (current destinations are: LA, Joshua Tree and San Diego, but these may change apart from LA).
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Just to add: I will consider anything! e.g. If a hotel is recommended that's over my budget I'll still consider it if it seems worth the money for us.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I knew I'd think of more after I posted

Will there be any difference in crowd levels in Disneyland between the couple of days before 4th July (e.g. 1st/3rd), 4th July weekend (e.g. 4th/7th) or just after (e.g. 8/9th)? As these will be the only times we'll be able to do Disney if we do it. I assume it will be totally packed for that whole time, esp as Star wars land may have opened...
Old 10 Sep 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

We stayed in the SpringHill Suites in Burbank it was really nice and the room was spacious and had a fridge etc in Anaheim we have stayed at Best Western Stovalls inn which is no frills but good size rooms, clean, free breakfast and a short walk to the parks this hotel also has microwave fridge etc.
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Anaheim is a base for Disney and knotts berry but that’s about it , there is not a lot else there and it’s not a good base for LA as it’s 35 miles away which can easily take 2 hrs each way in traffic .

We often stay st the Desert Palms suites in Anaheim .

If Star Wars is open it will be rammed no matter when you go .

West coast hotels aren’t cheap we average £100 a night over 3 weeks but 10 of those nights are spent in Vegas where it costs me £500.. La -Anaheim etc cos me far more
Per night
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Burbank: Hilton Garden Inn used points so good value for us.
Anaheim:Hyatt House Suite £200/night so maybe out of your £ range
Palm Desert new hotel Paseo £125/night. Fab and just short drive to Joshua Tree
All the above were good locations, walk to restaurants from all of them and central for attractions
SAN Diego we got a house but expensive as all the west coast is...
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post

We’re currently out here and we also have gone for lower budget hotels than our last trip as we find we are hardly in our room anyway. So once we’ve done i’ll Let you know. In Palm Springs we’re staying at a wee place called Colt’s lodge that comes with breakfast and pretty good write ups on Trip Advisor and I think is costing about £250 for 2 nights. It has a pool and bikes to borrow.
In Anaheim we’re staying at Hotel Indigo. No breakfast but free parking and has a small pool and is a short walk to Disney.
I’m in San Francisco atm and the budget(ish ) for SF prices place we picked has turned out pretty good. It’s clean, quiet ( except for traffic noise), and close to a really nice neighbourhood with plenty of places to eat out close by. And it has free parking.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for all the responses, plenty to have a think about

At least I have nearly a year to get it all sorted! I dare say it will end up like our trip to Florida: once we get back I'll know what to do next time
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

We have the Holiday Inn booked for Anaheim (listed 1 block from Disney, there are more than one in the area), we are staying there 4 nights for about £300, it doesn't look the best, but we are going straight there from LAX so will be to sleep the first night, disney for a couple of days, and then to an air b&b in LA.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Knottberry Farm should be good for your 2 children, (there is the main theme park as well as a water park).
We used the good neighbour package thro Disney, which can come up with added extras. Stayed at Springhill Suites and also desert palms, both have kitchenettes and free breakfast, other hotels are available! Palm Springs - anywhere in that corridor off I10 is fine, we stayed at Palm Desert in one of the Marriott resorts - best hotel in our travels from San F to LA! Easy access to Palm Springs (if you want) and the tramway. Stayed Yucca Valley on the north side of Joshua Tree, nothing much going on that side, apart from giving you a place to stay for the night.
Holiday Inn IHG is probably the best/most expensive(!) of the cheaper range of motels/hotels. Perhaps start saving points to use with one of the hotel chains? (Head for points is the place to go to learn how best to do that). We liked the holiday inn media center at Burbank, pretty un-inspiring stay but easy to access by car and so close to Burbank town centre for restaurants.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List