Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Apr 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Snowdrops Family West Coast Adventure Day 6. Pool time, Baseball and Mission beach cycle

We woke at 7 and had our usual little breakfast in our kitchenette.

The coffee machine in the hotel was really good. I often find coffee machines in rooms make a really strong bitter coffee but i've noted it was really decent.

We decided to head to the pool for a few hours this morning just to chill out and because our daughters love to be in a pool.

Super fun and there wasnt much wind today so we were all quite warm even though it was only 9am when we got there.

We were really keen to try baseball food so decided to keep ourselves going by having some leftover pizza we took in a doggy bag from the restaurant last night, some fruit, brioche and warmed cinnamon rolls we had purchased in a supermarket along the way. It was a good way of using up food as we were leaving the next day and also kept us going so that we could eat later on.

We got ready for the baseball in our matching T shirts and headed out to petco park, leaving plenty of time for traffic and parking (12 and the game didnt start until 1:40).

Found teh game easily enough but noted that i'd seen a lot of homeless people down some of the side roads this time. It was really obvious that everywhere we went in Cali there seemed to be a homeless problem. i'm pretty sure my girls didnt notice it but my husband and I did. we never felt threatened and walked passed many homeless people.

We had booked tail gate parking whihc i think is mainly for people having a party out of the boot of their car pre game. This is not something i'm aware of that we do in the UK but it looked like fun!

There were people in golf buggys waiting at the parking lot so we jumped into a buggy and they took us to the front of the park.

J had to leave his mini tripod at the front of the park in a guest services area as they wouldnt believe him that it wasnt a selfie stick. it was attached to our go pro and the tripod is a small foam 6 inch one. a little annoying but didnt take too long.

we realised quickly that we'd entered the wrong side for the type of tickets we had because we had the kidsfest park at the park tickets.

We had to get to the other side to where this photo was taken.

Anway we found a spot easily and had brought a lightweight blanket with us which had come in useful many times already this holiday.

They were doing an armed forces day (i think!) because the players were all wearing camo. They also had marines (possibly or maybe another part of the armed forces) parachuting in pre game which was super fun

We got snacks and chilled out for a while taking it all in

We then decided to go and check out the kids stuff which is included in the ticket price (tickets were $18 each for those interested)

This was all just so much fun and i really dont think you have to undestand baseball to go to a match. we had a chilli dog and popcorn and various other bits of food (which were expensive, but again i think thats just like anywhere in the UK at these places). Although it was $5 for a bottle of water which i was really gutted about as i'd packed frozen water in my coolbag but left it in the boot of the car.

Anyway, just before the end (as it was clear the Padres were going to lose and given we're not really true fans) we left. There was another golf buggy waiting outside so we jumped in the that which took us to the parking lot...literally to our car. very handy service.

15 minutes after leaving the park we were at mission beach and ready to hire some bikes.

Mission beach is...interesting. its full of some odd people and as it was the evening and spring break there were a lot of people who appeared to have been drinking around.

Anyway we found some bikes to rent for an hour and went along the front. i had a trailer for my 5 year old as i couldnt balance with the tag alongs and J had a tag along with S. this cost about $28.

We stopped for a chill after about half an hour then decided to come back.

Super fun end to the day and I didnt write notes to say what we did but i'm sure we just grabbed food on way home for those that were still hungry then crashed out in the room again.
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

I was really looking forward to reading about this day! Glad you all enjoyed the game! Love the Padres shirts and the fact that you got into the spirit of things. 😊👍 Park at the Park is a great area to get the atmosphere and chill with the kids. I took some friends of mine who were also visiting from the UK to a game last year, and although it was hard for them to follow the game rules (lots of explaining from me!), they also loved the atmosphere and were glad they went.

Mission Beach does get a bit "lively" in the evening, especially if it's spring break or summer. It's a very popular beach with university students. Although there is a ban on drinking alcohol on the beaches, there are a lot of beach bars along the boardwalk there.

Unfortunately, homelessness is a huge problem in all the major west coast cities. San Diego has a fairly large amount, but I think San Francisco is the worst I've seen. A lot of them aren't from California either. They come here from everywhere, because if you're going to live outdoors, the weather on the west coast is the best for that. It's been a big challenge for San Diego to figure out what to do.

Once again, love your photos. You have such a good eye with that!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The atmosphere at baseball games is so good - looks like you all had fun! Love the t-shirts!

Another great beach visit

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The atmosphere at baseball games is so good - looks like you all had fun! Love the t-shirts!

Another great beach visit
I think my T shirt was a boys one as it was pretty cheap...$12.99 or similar. Target had loads and we really did feel part of the atmosphere more because we had them on.

Thanks for reading along. what are your trip plans?
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
I think my T shirt was a boys one as it was pretty cheap...$12.99 or similar. Target had loads and we really did feel part of the atmosphere more because we had them on.

Thanks for reading along. what are your trip plans?
We have flights booked - out on 23/12 back on 4/1 into San Diego via LHR. That is my plan so far The kids don't know yet. I still haven't finished our Quebec/Ontario trip planning.

We love the great outdoors (our Canadian trips tend to involve water and remoteness! ) so I am thinking wetsuits and surfboards (we have done the Pacific Ocean in Canada which was 16C so figure it can't be too bad...) plus SW (kids have never been), the zoo, perhaps Knotts Berry and I would love to do Joshua Tree NP. We are also considering a day trip into Mexico but if we do that it would be on an organised tour!

Your report has been really helpful so thank you

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

We have flights booked - out on 23/12 back on 4/1 into San Diego via LHR. That is my plan so far The kids don't know yet. I still haven't finished our Quebec/Ontario trip planning.

We love the great outdoors (our Canadian trips tend to involve water and remoteness! ) so I am thinking wetsuits and surfboards (we have done the Pacific Ocean in Canada which was 16C so figure it can't be too bad...) plus SW (kids have never been), the zoo, perhaps Knotts Berry and I would love to do Joshua Tree NP. We are also considering a day trip into Mexico but if we do that it would be on an organised tour!

Your report has been really helpful so thank you

you're welcome, its actually been really fun to do. I thought I wouldnt enjoy the pressure of keeping notes but it was really relaxing to reflect on the day with a little hotel note pad in bed in the evenings.

will check out your trip reports this evening when my kids are in bed. this trip has definitely opened our eyes to different types of holiday which involve more outdoorsy days and currently we're weighing up a northern Cali/Arizona trip to visit the national parks in 2019 but cant quite make an itinerary fit yet.
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I feel I should get paid by the Canadian Tourism board because I recommend it so much but if you love the great outdoors then Quebec can't be beaten! We first went 2 years ago, then went back to new places (in Quebec) last year and are going back again this year. This year we are staying 2 weeks in a cottage we stayed at 2 years ago as well as 4 nights in Ottawa and a week in a cottage on a rapids river just over in Ontario. It probably wouldn't suit everyone but we all love it! My DD would move there tomorrow!

Index of my trip reports
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Melbatb, sorry I just wanted to jump in quickly to say you need to be very cautious about going into Mexico. Organized tours will take you into Tijuana usually, which is just over the border, and I'm afraid to say it's not a nice place. Crime has really gotten bad there, there's a lot of poverty, kids will beg for money, etc. A lot of San Diegans don't go down there any more. If you want a taste of Mexican atmosphere in San Diego, you should visit Old Town State Park- lots of Mexican souvenir shops and restaurants there.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Melbatb, sorry I just wanted to jump in quickly to say you need to be very cautious about going into Mexico. Organized tours will take you into Tijuana usually, which is just over the border, and I'm afraid to say it's not a nice place. Crime has really gotten bad there, there's a lot of poverty, kids will beg for money, etc. A lot of San Diegans don't go down there any more. If you want a taste of Mexican atmosphere in San Diego, you should visit Old Town State Park- lots of Mexican souvenir shops and restaurants there.
Thanks Amy - it is just an idea and really I should know better because I went when I was a student and lasted less than 30 minutes! Is there anyway to avoid Tijuana or is all the border area to be avoided?

Sorry Snowdrop for hijacking your thread!

Index of my trip reports
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Amy - it is just an idea and really I should know better because I went when I was a student and lasted less than 30 minutes! Is there anyway to avoid Tijuana or is all the border area to be avoided?

Sorry Snowdrop for hijacking your thread!
All the border areas in general have gotten rough, unfortunately. Lots of drug cartels have moved along the border.