Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 28 Feb 11, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post

California - Here we come - Day 6

Day 6

So today we are back in Disneyland. The weather is not on our side as we will later discover in the evening and also the following day. Tim & Jimmie join us again and we have quite a few laughs along the way. Rather than list all the rides we do today I’ll mention the ones we don’t normally get to do at WDW.

On our way in we see the best place for a stroller!

We did decide to visit Toontown. Rather than being the couple of houses that existed at Magic Kingdom before Mickey & Minnie got evicted this is an entire town. It also features the unique Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin. You board the taxi from the film (Lenny) and are taken on a mad ride through the world of “toons”.

Whilst we are in this land we decide we should all go visit Mickey. To do this you go through his home and then out the back to his “Movie Barn”. The line area is reminiscent of the queuing area at the Great Movie Ride at DHS as you watch his cartoons from down the years. Eventually you are summoned to a room and – voila – there he is. We suss that there are several rooms and that rather like Macy’s “Meet Santa”……..figure out the rest! Anyhow, we do get to meet the Big Cheese!

We spend the day dodging rainfalls as we pass from ride to ride. We do get the chance to take the “Alice in Wonderland” ride where you ride a caterpillar through the various adventures of the girl with the blue dress and white pinafore. Tim is astonished when I tell him there is a duplication of this ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the UK. For some reason the Thompson family of Blackpool were able to persuade Disney to let them reproduce the ride at their famous park. If you don’t believe me – Google it!

In the afternoon there is a Mardi Gras performance by the Princess and the Frog characters:

Jimmie sits out on Space Mountain whilst we 3 are thrown around outer space:

We manage to have a fun day despite the ever threatening weather but at 4p.m. we decides we could all do with some down time so we head off to our respective hotels. Along the way we call in at “World of Disney” in Downtown Disney and buy various items including some gifts for friends. This space gives Darrin and I a chance to pack ready for our departure tomorrow rather than doing it later in the evening.

The plan for tonight (a la Master Tim) is to visit DCA as there is an ElecTRONica show which he insists we must not miss. Then we will go on to Disneyland to see the fireworks and Fantasmic after we have eaten. When we get to the designated area for this presentation of “Laser man” we feel we have rewound the clock by about 30 years. Young teenagers are bopping to the music all over the place. It’s centres around the area where the Monsters Inc. ride is located. We watch the kids body pop (or whatever they call it these days) and some of them are mighty good! Then the show starts. It was an astonishing ten minutes as this guy plays with laser beams and literally bends them to his will. It’s a bit smoke and mirrors in its approach but combines with careful choreography he gives us an outstanding performance as you can see from these pictures:

When the show finishes we head over into the Disneyland park. The weather has worsened and we are not only getting rain but some hail as well. It is bitterly cold and whilst we Brits are glad we put on layers the locals are positively shivering.

We head for the Plaza Inn for a chicken dinner: Mash, French beans and roasted chicken with gravy. It’s actually very good for the price and I wash mine down with a grape soda. By now the wind has really got up and its lashing the rain around. Needless to say both the fireworks and Fantasmic are cancelled. People are leaving the park in droves. Not a pleasant end to what was mostly an enjoyable day. Earlier in the evening I managed to get a fairly decent shot of the Sleeping Beauty castle:

And it is with great sorrow that we have to say goodbye to two VERY special friends. We spend a few moments hugging but I hate tearful goodbyes. We have been privileged to share the last couple of days with the most extraordinary and loving couple. Guys – that invitation to come to the UK remains open until you do!

Tomorrow, we start heading south towards San Diego.

Index

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 11, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day, except the heavy rain at the end.

Wow, there are loads of different rides over there than WDW.

Love the picture of the stroller in the bin.

Awww, Tim and Jimmie sound like lovely guys.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 11, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post

A great trip with great company - what more could you ask for?
Old 28 Feb 11, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_Diva
Imagineer

Great report and piccies x
WDW 2020 POR
Disney_Diva is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 11, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Heavy rain - that sounds too much like the UK to me!

Glad you had another successful day though.

Old 28 Feb 11, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post

I remember the Alice In Wonderland ride at Blackpool from when I was small. We didn't get a chance to do it at California as it was closed for rehab. Amazed that it's the same ride but very impressed!
Old 1 Mar 11, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Amazing report! I see Jimmie is missing on Space Mountain! Isn't he a fan?

I am printing the one of the 4 of you with Mickey. That is adorable. I feel like I'm there...and... wishing I was there!

On to the next day's report. I am loving this!
Old 2 Mar 11, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Another great day Geoff - and how lovely that you get to spend it with such great company.

Is the Disneyland Alice ride the same as the ride in Blackpool? Can't believe it! Wait till I tell DD.

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 11, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgesky
Imagineer

Just playing catch up with your reports. Another fab day, shame about the weather.

The Osborne's Do Orlando:-
Nov 09 Marriot Cypress Harbour . June 10 Vista Cay . April 11 Cypress Point. Feb 12 Vista Cay . July 12 Vista Cay/Clearwater. Nov 13 Marriott Grand Vista . Oct 15 Marriott Grand Vista/Clearwater. . May 16 Sheraton Vista . April 18 Dibb Villa. Aug 19 Universal Cabana Bay
fudgesky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 11, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Shame about the weather, but otherwise a wonderful day with wonderful friends, a great report with lovely photos especially the stroller in the bin!
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List