Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 29 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Reactions to our tipping

We have just returned and not sure if we were overtipping or not or maybe they were being sarcastic and we just didn't pick up on it, we didn't feel as though we were overtipping. The first place we ate at was our first night on DDP and we did tell our waitress that it had been three years and she was lovely pointing out the changes, recommending some nice alcoholic 'long' drinks for me, talked to the kids about their selection to make sure they were happy as they were now on the adults menu, at the end of the meal when we were given the receipt with the recommended 18 and 20% tip hubby said give her the 20 rounded up to the nearest $ as she had been really nice and from then on this was the benchmark for tipping. She seemed really really grateful.

The thing is so did everyone else we tipped which was usually around 19/20% apart from Whispering Canyon Café where it took over two hours to complete our meal as the waitress kept disappearing - she only got the bare minimum. Every time we paid the tip they would come back to the table and say thank you very much, hubby commented that they seemed genuinely grateful as if they don't normally get this much or any at all.
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MrMarvel
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I think they’re genuinely grateful. That’s a pretty decent tip, especially compared to what you see Americans leaving.

(Also, I’m not sure Americans get sarcasm enough to use it!)
MrMarvel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazro
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I think there is a combination of being on the DDP that some people don’t tip much as they see the meal as being included as well as being British and sadly we are not know for being generous tippers. We always gave 20% for those cast members who had done a great job whereas would penalise those who we didn’t feel gave us a decent service (I’m talking about when we were rushed through our meal so quickly I was asked for my dessert order twice whilst I was eating my main course!) and no offers of drink refills or disappearing wait staff.
Cazro is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I think a tip should reflect the service, if it’s good we always tip about 20%, ive also had occasions where I’ve not tipped if I wasn’t happy with the service in those instances I always ensure I speak to the manager and explain why and I’ve never had any issues from that
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

I certainly don't think the British are the worst tippers... watch the Americans...
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ASheppard
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
I certainly don't think the British are the worst tippers... watch the Americans...
Completely agree! I’ve noticed that a lot do not tip at all.
ASheppard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ASheppard View Post
I have not noticed that, but I bet they do. I just can not understand the bullying about tipping especially sadly on the dibb.

I have even heard, if you cant tip 20% and over, you shouldn't frequent the restaurant... awful !
x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ASheppard View Post
How on earth can you tell what others tip? Most Americans would be paying by card and adding on the tip not leaving cash. At Disney they could be charging it to their room as well.
Old 29 Aug 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great another Tipping thread Only a week since the last bun fight!
I would say that generally, & I mean the ones that I've come across,they are a very polite society & thanking someone for their Tip is just polite
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 02:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just think about how much these servers are making daily just on tips alone. Even if it’s just $10 a table that’s still going to be over $150 a day in a Disney high turnover restaurant. They get an extremely good income.
jocesk is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List