Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
kazzykay
slightly serious Dibber

I just said same to Hubby, one of my favourite holidays ever
kazzykay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks! I may look into this again, but I am not good at boats so we shall see... What did you like about Martha's vineyard? What made it better than cape Cod? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm one of the worst sailors too, I felt so sick going to Acatraz and it was as calm as a boating lake. Last year I was desperate to go to Marthas Vineyard so dosed myself up with 2 Dramamine and sat outside facing forward - I didn't even feel queasy.
I would definitely recommend you visit, it was one of my favourite places on our trip. We also took a whale watching trip from Province Town, I was extremely nervous but only felt sick if I looked down into the water, looking ahead was fine. Worth feeling a little queasy to see these amazing animals.
Buzz242 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
We loved New England last summer. I think you just need to find things you want to do and forget the many, many others you won't have time for.

If you've read my trip report you will see what we did. I'm glad we visited Martha's Vineyard but it is just one thing we did and I'm sure you will find a lot of other things to fill your time.

Looking back my favourites were Flume Gorge in the White Mountains, Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, Billings Farm Museum in Vermont (we avoided Ben and Jerry's because of DH diabetes ) and Gray's Beach near Hyannis. We found we spent too long in both Boston and Cape Cod and should have stayed longer in the mountains.

Whatever you do I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Thanks for the tips - I think I read your report as I think that is why I added Flume George... I will go and check it out again though. I only have 1.5 days in Boston and I may change it around to just have a day in Cape Cod. Will also take a look at what else we could do in the mountains - thanks!

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I think Martha’s Vineyard was how I expected Cape Cod to be - don’t get me wrong, there were some lovely places on the Cape - Chatham for example was lovely. We also enjoyed our time in Provincetown, but Martha’s Vineyard was just a lovely place to wander around.

I think it was mainly the area near our hotel in Cape Cod which felt quite tacky, we stayed at the Bayside Resort, (which I know a number of other dibbers have stayed in). The hotel itself was the best we could find at a reasonable price and tbh I don’t think we’d of found better for the money we were willing to spend, (we passed a few of the places that we’d also considered and felt happy with our choice), but it’s definitely not in the prettiest of locations!

As it was the summer, the beaches were also packed - something we’d expected to a degree, but they really were heaving, so we didn’t bother stopping or taking any photos (guess we are used to the empty Floridian beaches!)

All in all we loved our New England trip, and whilst Cape Cod for us wouldn’t warrant a repeat visit - Maine and New Hampshire were particularly wonderful and we’d love to go back!
Thanks for the information We are not really beach people - prefer the nice scenery and pretty little towns so I am thinking we don't need too much time in Cape Cod. I might take a look and see if there is anywhere else I want to go in Maine whilst we are up there
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
We too found Salem to be disappointing.

Absolutely loved Ogunquit - funnily enough I though Maine would be a tick box to say we’d been to another state, but not somewhere I was overly bothered about before we went, and actually it’s the main place I’m desperate to return to and experience more of!
I think I may take a look at what else there is to see in Maine - thanks!

Originally Posted by kazzykay View Post
We did 3 weeks 2017, absolutely loved it. Bar harbour, Mt Washington, Acadia National Park, Provincetown, Plymouth, White Mountains, Maine, Portland and Oqunquait, Salem (big disappointment) - Enjoy
Thanks - it is reassuring that all of those places are on my list!

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
I'm one of the worst sailors too, I felt so sick going to Acatraz and it was as calm as a boating lake. Last year I was desperate to go to Marthas Vineyard so dosed myself up with 2 Dramamine and sat outside facing forward - I didn't even feel queasy.
I would definitely recommend you visit, it was one of my favourite places on our trip. We also took a whale watching trip from Province Town, I was extremely nervous but only felt sick if I looked down into the water, looking ahead was fine. Worth feeling a little queasy to see these amazing animals.
I have done a whale watching trip once and never again... I took tablets and still felt awful for about 24 hours afterwards... didn't even see the whales as I was too busy staring at the horizon! I don't think we will be doing Martha's Vineyard, but I will consider it. I think we may spend extra time in the mountains/ Maine instead. Thanks for the advice
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We stayed in north Conway in white mountains. Good outlet shopping there and amazing scenery but even in July we had one day of torrential rain and it was not warm
Not too much to do in the rain

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed in bar harbor. Loved loved loved that little town and it’s surrounding area !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Born and bred New Englander and I think it is the best area of the world. That said, I agree flipping your trip would be good. Color times vary but I always think of mid-October as peak. Color moves north to south.

September and October are off season on Cape Cod and there will be more closures than crowds but it can still be beautiful. As someone who vacationed on the Cape for many, many years, the real Cape begins after Orleans-Brewster to Provincetown are much nicer than Hyannis, Yarmouth and even Dennis (which isn't bad) If you haven't driven out past the Orleans Rotary, IMHO you haven't been to the cape.

Weather in New England is tricky. Today was the first day all week we got above 50 degrees F. Monday they are saying we may hit 80. An old saying is if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. September and October can be very nice, hot or cold. A couple of years ago, we got a major blizzard on October 28. We had a bit of snow this past week, although further north in the higher elevations, they had accumulating snow.

I love NH and my favorite places are north of the White MOuntains. We used to go to Errol regularly when the kids were young and always spotted a moose (or two or three). Black bears have made a wonderful comeback and even make their way down to Massachusetts on occasion.

You seem to have an interest in the Ivy league universities. What are you hoping to see? If I had a choice between Brown or going to Newport for a day, I'd choose Newport hands down. (DD is a Brown alum so maybe I am just no longer impressed) Rhode Island School of Design, just next door has a nice museum.

And it only really rains from April to October in the northern states. AS winter begins, snow gets more likely. BUT people in northern New England know how to drive in the snow and the roads get cleared relatively quickly. And it is so pretty everywhere.

Edited at 12:51 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Born and bred New Englander and I think it is the best area of the world. That said, I agree flipping your trip would be good. Color times vary but I always think of mid-October as peak. Color moves north to south.

September and October are off season on Cape Cod and there will be more closures than crowds but it can still be beautiful. As someone who vacationed on the Cape for many, many years, the real Cape begins after Orleans-Brewster to Provincetown are much nicer than Hyannis, Yarmouth and even Dennis (which isn't bad) If you haven't driven out past the Orleans Rotary, IMHO you haven't been to the cape.

Weather in New England is tricky. Today was the first day all week we got above 50 degrees F. Monday they are saying we may hit 80. An old saying is if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. September and October can be very nice, hot or cold. A couple of years ago, we got a major blizzard on October 28. We had a bit of snow this past week, although further north in the higher elevations, they had accumulating snow.

I love NH and my favorite places are north of the White MOuntains. We used to go to Errol regularly when the kids were young and always spotted a moose (or two or three). Black bears have made a wonderful comeback and even make their way down to Massachusetts on occasion.

You seem to have an interest in the Ivy league universities. What are you hoping to see? If I had a choice between Brown or going to Newport for a day, I'd choose Newport hands down. (DD is a Brown alum so maybe I am just no longer impressed) Rhode Island School of Design, just next door has a nice museum.

And it only really rains from April to October in the northern states. AS winter begins, snow gets more likely. BUT people in northern New England know how to drive in the snow and the roads get cleared relatively quickly. And it is so pretty everywhere.
Thank you for the amazing reply! It is a shame our dates are set now or I would push it back another week, but it is what it is. I will probably flip it so Acadia and Maine are at the end so I can hopefully see more of the colours.

As for Cape Cod, I don't think I will need that long, but I do want to see it - I will make sure we drive all the way to the end! The weather doesn't bother me too much - if it is dry that would be great, but I will come prepared for all weather!

I am excited about the White Mountains, but not sure I have looked at anything north of there. Where would you suggest? I would love to see some moose and bears! I saw two moose in Canada last year, but it was very fleeting!

The Ivy Leagues have always interested me, I don't really know why! I really like architecture and love the style of the a lot of the buildings at the universities over there... Harvard and Yale are definitely on the list, I could drop the others if something better comes up - will look into Newport, thanks!

Thanks again for the reply - it was so helpful
Old 16 May 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
We stayed in north Conway in white mountains. Good outlet shopping there and amazing scenery but even in July we had one day of torrential rain and it was not warm
Not too much to do in the rain
I am hoping to stay in the Conway area - hopefully we have better weather, if not I have waterproofs and hiking boots so we will just get on with it!

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
We stayed in bar harbor. Loved loved loved that little town and it’s surrounding area !
Also on my list! I am really excited about Maine
Old 16 May 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Interestingly we had dreadful rain for most of our time in New Hampshire too, we were there in August (except thankfully for the one day that we had booked to go river tubing, which was beautiful weather and an awesome day!) 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List