Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jan 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have 4 Border Terriers and one of them has issues with her ears and skin. We had her at the vet just after Christmas and she was put on a course of steroids which is due to finish this week. We bought hydrolysed dog food for her on the vets advice. Basically the water breaks the protein into such small pieces that the immune system no longer reacts. The difference in 2 weeks is amazing. We are hoping it continues once she is off the steroids totally.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by 4fromsuffolk View Post
I did reply to your earlier posts, you might recall we had a Labrador with similar symptoms. We had allergy testing with her at a huge animal facility in Newmarket which we were referred to by our vet. They developed a serum for her. I can’t remember the exact costs but we think around £2,000. This was in 2008 ish. We then had to learn to inject this. I think first it was every few days, then weekly then once per month. This was covered under our pet insurance. Unfortunately it didn’t get the symptoms under control but we were glad we tried it. The only thing that worked for her was a daily steroid and 2 piriton in am and 2 in pm. We agonised about giving her a daily steroid we were worried about the long term prognosis and spent a good few months fiddling with the dose so she would have the lowest dose possible. We tried one every other day, half a day etc. Anyway this all developed around 18 months old and she lived to nearly 11. We took the view we would prefer her to have a happy shorter life than to be itchy all the time and get infections all the time. The vets did recommend a treatment called atopica which I think does something to the dogs immune system. This was a new drug at the time and would have exceeded our insurance levels quite quickly, we had a young family and not too much spare money so we declined that drug. Subsequent reading about atopica I think the side effects are quite great so I’m glad we didn’t use it.

I really feel for you it’s miserable for the dogs. You will find something that eases things for him I’m sure.
Thanks for your reply. I can remember you saying you had a dog with issues before. Sadly I cant see me being able to inject Bill with anything. I cant get anywhere near him with drops. I've sat for hours desperately trying. I'm going to register at another vets who are an old school independent one and get some more advice. I had a quote March 2019 for £359 for the ear wash etc this months quote for the same has rocketed to £585 with the only addition of an ear swab that I was charged £70 for last time. The vet said himself its likely to be a mixed fungal growth if any again. He said it wouldn't help too it just feels like money is the driver not poor Bill's condition.
Old 11 Jan 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
We have 4 Border Terriers and one of them has issues with her ears and skin. We had her at the vet just after Christmas and she was put on a course of steroids which is due to finish this week. We bought hydrolysed dog food for her on the vets advice. Basically the water breaks the protein into such small pieces that the immune system no longer reacts. The difference in 2 weeks is amazing. We are hoping it continues once she is off the steroids totally.
Fingers crossed for you. Bill's been like a different dog on treatment. No chewing biting licking shuffling scratching head shaking all day long poor boy.
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Funny you say that about the vets. We are with what we consider old school family run vets now too, it’s much better. We’ve got a terrier with a delicate tummy and it was a let’s try x y and z, if it doesn’t work then she would need tests. Our old vets would be straight in with evasive expensive investigations.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Funny you say that about the vets. We are with what we consider old school family run vets now too, it’s much better. We’ve got a terrier with a delicate tummy and it was a let’s try x y and z, if it doesn’t work then she would need tests. Our old vets would be straight in with evasive expensive investigations.
Most of the vets here are now under one group. It just seems that everything is added on with no discussion. Pre op blood tests were always an optional thing now they always appear on the quote. It would be nice to see the same vet twice as they all differ so much in the advice they give.
Bill seemed fine until the steroid dose dropped from one maybe a half down to a quarter a day.

Edited at 03:24 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

We really tried to avoid steroids because of long term use fear, but I’m afraid it’s all that worked for Agatha’s skin. As soon as the steroids were stopped all the problems came back. She also developed early onset arthritis at 6 (the vets didn’t say that was related to steroid use) so was an unlucky dog bless her - we loved her though and she definitely loved us especially my Husband. I would be with her all day but wouldn’t get a look in when he came home! I think we were lucky to have her until a month short of her 11th birthday.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

We really tried to avoid steroids because of long term use fear, but I’m afraid it’s all that worked for Agatha’s skin. As soon as the steroids were stopped all the problems came back. She also developed early onset arthritis at 6 (the vets didn’t say that was related to steroid use) so was an unlucky dog bless her - we loved her though and she definitely loved us especially my Husband. I would be with her all day but wouldn’t get a look in when he came home! I think we were lucky to have her until a month short of her 11th birthday.
Oh bless her. Bill's definitely my dog until any man comes to the house Plumber painter milkman ( if I was up early enough to see him lol) He tries to run rings round me but goes very calm in the presence of a chap. I think I will opt for quality of life with steroid use. When hes itching scratching etc he looks so agitated and miserable,not nice for him.
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

See what your other vet thinks and go from there. It does make them miserable and Ag’s hair didn’t ever grow back on her tummy and around her bottom where she had itched and nibbled it. Good luck, let us know how Bill gets on xx
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

See what your other vet thinks and go from there. It does make them miserable and Ag’s hair didn’t ever grow back on her tummy and around her bottom where she had itched and nibbled it. Good luck, let us know how Bill gets on xx
Thank you will do x
Old 11 Jan 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
One of mine has allergies, he's worse in the summer so general conclusion is it's grass and pollen? My vet recommend James Wellbeloved Turkey and rice and veg.? Turkey being the easiest to digest! He also has Apoquel tablets for the itching? The food made such a difference! The flakey skin has gone and his coat is glossy, bottom dragging has reduced 80% too! He's has stopped Apoquel in the winter totally and on 1/2 tablet every other day in the spring/summer only! Used to take 2 a day before the food change? He was on good quality food before (lilys kitchen?) This looks less appealing and I'm frankly amazed it worked! Might be worth a try? Good luck it's awful to see them suffer!
catlady is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List