Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Apr 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Convince me on DLP vs WDW

We are off to WDW this summer and were lucky enough to go in 2017. I haven't been to DLP for 7 years.

I'm keen to sneak a drip to DLP in 2020 but my husband is not convinced.

I think he feel post WDW it won't live up to his Disney expectations. He also feels its poor value money wise when comparing the two.

We aren't likely to drive so would be flying 5 of us from Manchester and we would want to be on site for EMH so not a lot of choice re hotels than can sleep 5.

However I'm still keen I've fond memories form taking the kids 7 years ago.

So do you think DLP stacks up value wise compared to WDW?
Would you just save up and do wdw in 2021/2022?
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We have only been to WDW but are considering dlp for 2020 too. I don’t think we will be comparing them as it’s obvious that WDW is so much bigger and has more to offer. I also love the free dining plan at WDW and the huge choice of places to eat. The weather in Florida is much warmer. There are many other theme parks and attractions in Florida to visit too. Plus we love the free Memory Maker at WDW.

However we are looking at dlp as a completely new experience. The advantages to us are much shorter flight, parks not so big so less rushed to fit everything in, it will be cheaper (not hugely so) and we plan to add a few days in Paris which we have never visited before. We are looking forward to the different rides there, and hopefully some Marvel characters (although I’m not sure if they will be at dlp in 2020) and trying the different style of free half board dining at dlp. Also thinking that WDW will be so incredibly busy next year with Star Wars Land opening. Plus no jet lag just flying to France.

I think you need to look at it as a different holiday to WDW. I think if you compare them in terms of things to do then WDW has lots more so dlp can’t compete.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Is DLP the same as WDW - no. Is the necessarily a bad thing? - in my opinion - no

DLP gives you a slice of Disney Magic over a few days on a flight that takes little over an hour. It is a completely different kind of holiday to WDW but I love it.

I would say take a look through the trip reports in the DLP section, a lot has changed for the better at DLP in the last 7 years - you might be surprised.

If you are stuck to school holidays it is recommended you go for May half term as that doesn't usually clash with any other European holidays making it the best option.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am not going to try and convince you just point you and your hubby towards the DLP trippies board. Watch some vids and read some trip reports.
Each Disney resort is different.
DLP has its own magic as does Tokyo and Anaheim.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I am exactly the same we have been lucky enough to visit wdw a few times and have not been to dlp for 6 years but have booked for this October! I still am not sure on it but the kids dont remember our last trip there so thought we would give it another try - like others have said we are taking it as a completely different holiday to wdw - and hopefully we will enjoy it just as much! I have read some trip reports which really helped get me excited! Maybe read through a few to help you make a decision
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
TRACCOOPER
Excited about Disney

We have booked to go in June for 4 nights with DD 21 and DS 18. It is to celebrate their special birthdays and didn't want it to be the main holiday of the year for everyone in terms of time as we all want to do other things as well. It will not be a comparison holiday to Florida but more a short family break with Disney experience and making memories
TRACCOOPER is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

I think if someone goes with the mindset of it not living up to WDW it almost certainly won't, they are very different parks with very different cultures.

Personally I absolutely love DLP, it's without a doubt the most beautiful of all the Disney parks and has so much attention to detail.

Yes, you won't get the over-the-top CM interaction you get at the American parks but the CMs are all friendly and helpful; it just sometimes get lost in translation as obviously for a number of CMs english is not their first language.
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

I personally absolutely love DLP. I love WDW, but DLP is my 'happy place'.

Yes, it is different to WDW. Some things are better and some aren't. I think the people that come away disappointed are those that expect it to be the same as WDW, which it isn't (and isn't pretending to be either).

The parks are beautiful and I love the fact that everything is within walking distance.

Value for money wise its difficult to compare. I couldn't afford to go back to WDW at the moment but have just got an annual pass for DLP so we can do several little trips throughout the year.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Advantage of DLP over WDW

1. size. Being able to walk between parks and Disney village and even to the hotels is so great.
2. Ratatouille. Such a brilliant ride. The Remy restaurant is great too.
3. Space mountain. So much better than the WDW version (they’re completely different)
4. Big thunder mountain. Far better in DLP
5. POTC and Skull Island. The ride is better and the whole area is great to just around and explore
6. EMH in the Studios. You can get so much done. We did pretty much all the main rides apart from Crush’s Coaster in an hour with EMH
7. Crush’s coaster. Totally unique ride to DLP
8. Parades. Don’t know if it’ll be on when you go but the Princess and Pirates parade in February was great fun
9. The castle. Prettier than WDW and you can explore it too
10. You’ll be tired when you’re done but one sleep and you’re back to normal. That Isn’t the case with WDW!

Go to enjoy yourselves and I’m sure you will!
Old 5 Apr 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
I personally would save up and go back to WDW. I always think DLP is not as good as WDW, but if I could never go to WDW again I might give it another go, if only for a few days.
I like the no smoking, no queue jumping, weather, atmosphere of WDW. When we went to DLP we met some very rude arrogant people and it has completely put me off.
This is all my experience though, and I know lots of people love it.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List