Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 May 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by kirstenjet View Post
I'd risk it as you are 3cms under on the other sides so it still adds up to the same.
I didn’t even think of that! Good point.. I wonder if linear total size would count lol
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Last time we flew ryanair they were taking everyones hand luggage to put in hold.
(From budapest)
I refused to give my case and they air crew told me i HAD to.
I said my case was full of medication and i was unwilling to hand it over until the pilot told me i had to.
I kept it and we were out and hour before everyone cos they messed up bringing lugagge back...
Fyi
Yes I’ve heard they do this on busy flights so I guess if they do it on mine, a new case would be a waste
Old 4 May 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I think the standard fee for a cabin bag to go in the hold is £50/50E. Per flight.

Personally, esp if you don't need the space I would nip out n buy another bag.

So cheap these days. Could get both cabbin bags for under 20 in places like Argos.

At least that way you get to have something to keep for your money.

But then I seem to have a cabin bag collection going on as it is. Think we have 9 all different sizes...

Anyway, ignoring all that, have a fabulous time in Rome. Beautiful and very vibrant city. Fancy it myself now for a quick trip. Off for a nose.
Doh! I deleted my post trying to edit

I didn’t bother nipping out as I did a live chat this morning and she said it would be £20 per leg but looking at their website it doesn’t mention anything about a cabin bag being bigger only over weight... so this may be duff info.

I do have a cabin bag in their dimensions but I borrowed it to my grandmother.. I’m fussy with cases and I can’t see me getting one for £20 or so... ideally I’d nip to Debenhams and get a Trip Holiday 6 cabin bag as I know they fit and they’re good cases but I’d probably be looking at at least £50 and it may be a waste.

I never really travel hand luggage only

Edit to add: just checked my booking T&Cs and it is £50 though doesn’t specify if this is per leg or for return flight.

I guess I’ll go get myself a shiny Tripp 6 case from Debenhams otherwise I’ll be fuming tomorrow

Edited at 10:18 AM.
Old 4 May 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Last time we flew ryanair they were taking everyones hand luggage to put in hold.
(From budapest)
I refused to give my case and they air crew told me i HAD to.
I said my case was full of medication and i was unwilling to hand it over until the pilot told me i had to.
I kept it and we were out and hour before everyone cos they messed up bringing lugagge back...
Fyi
I think it’s all changed now. This used to be the case when if the flight was busy they would take bags at gate and put into the hold but they’ve recently changed and if you pay for priority you are guaranteed your bag in the cabin with you (think it’s 90 or so)
I know easyJet and Flybe also take bags into hold on busy flights, it’s all in the terms and conditions.
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by familybell View Post
I think it’s all changed now. This used to be the case when if the flight was busy they would take bags at gate and put into the hold but they’ve recently changed and if you pay for priority you are guaranteed your bag in the cabin with you (think it’s 90 or so)
I know easyJet and Flybe also take bags into hold on busy flights, it’s all in the terms and conditions.
I'm interested in this as off with Ryan air in June.

I thought that in order to take both a cabin bag and small bag into the cabin you had to pay for priority? If everyone does that because they don't want hold luggage, or if at least 90% do, how do they guarantee that you get to keep yours if that is the only way that you get to take one on the plane anyway?

Silly business if you ask me. Hadn't realised the rules had changed. Thought I could take two on without paying for priority. Ho hum. Off to pay for priority I go. Good job you posted Op.

OP - although my view is different to the others who say risk it. I would be gutted if you went and bought a suitable bag and them got it put in the hold anyway because if overcrowding. But at least if they do it it's free. According to the website it's £50/50E each way if they make you put it in the hold because it is oversized. :-(. I suppose it all hangs on the point that familybell made. If priority you get to keep the right size/weight bag regardless.

I hope you and your grandmother have an amazing time I remember your previous thread saying how much she was looking forward to it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

I thought that in order to take both a cabin bag and small bag into the cabin you had to pay for priority? If everyone does that because they don't want hold luggage, or if at least 90% do, how do they guarantee that you get to keep yours if that is the only way that you get to take one on the plane anyway?

Silly business if you ask me. Hadn't realised the rules had changed. Thought I could take two on without paying for priority. Ho hum. Off to pay for priority I go. Good job you posted Op.

OP - although my view is different to the others who say risk it. I would be gutted if you went and bought a suitable bag and them got it put in the hold anyway because if overcrowding. But at least if they do it it's free. According to the website it's £50/50E each way if they make you put it in the hold because it is oversized. :-(. I suppose it all hangs on the point that familybell made. If priority you get to keep the right size/weight bag regardless.

I hope you and your grandmother have an amazing time I remember your previous thread saying how much she was looking forward to it.
We’ve booked priority and apparently it’s limited to 90 passengers per flight. I have just bought a new suitable size case from Debenhams for £39 as they had a sale on. All in all it is a lot less then £50 or even £50 per leg.

Unfortunately even if you pay for priority and your bag is over weight or too big you still have to pay for extra kilos or for it to go in the hold. I think Ryanair appears one of the more pedantic airlines when it comes to their baggage rules so I’d rather be safe than sorry.

My grandmother is so excited. She’s never left the UK, been on a plane and this is her dream holiday so an extra £39 is a drop in the ocean compared to having a hassle free trip.

Thanks for your well wishes! I’m sure she’ll love it

Edited at 12:07 PM.
Old 4 May 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

They just won't bend the rules, in many ways it's better as you know where you stand . I'd rather that and pay less than pay a bit more and find the day/flight I was flying was the one BA (for e ample) declined to enforce a rule
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I have never seen them check but they can.
They only time is when is is way too big or you have more bags than you should
Watched a guy try to argue that he always took 4 carry on bags!

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
I have never seen them check but they can.
They only time is when is is way too big or you have more bags than you should
Watched a guy try to argue that he always took 4 carry on bags!
Did it work?!

Well I have a shiny new one now so fingers crossed all will be well
Old 4 May 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You have 3 options

If you don’t pay you can only take 1 bag at the smaller size, which fits under seat

Pay £6 for priority (only available to 1st 90 passengers) you are guaranteed 2 bags on board with you, smaller which fits under seat and a normal cabin case

Pay £10 and you can take the smaller under seat bag on board with you and you drop off your other larger cabin case at the bag drop and it goes into the hold - handy if you don’t want to worry about liquids at security or even just so you don’t have to trail your case round the airport with you

I know Ryanair gets slated but I’ve never had any problems with them, aslong as you stick to the rules
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List