Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I think the modern cafe actually encourages this type of clientele and use of their facilities. They market themselves to professionals who are prepared to spend a daft amount on a mediocre coffee.
So I dont think this will change at all.
Simple answer is to go somewhere else with decent coffee and doesn't tolerate this type of thing.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Another thing in coffee shops, you join the queue and others peel off to claim a table when the person buying is behind me and has not purchased yet grrrrrrr.
Trouble is if people are struggling to get free tables already, then people in the queue will grab a free one while someone else stays in the queue to get their coffee etc.

Doesn’t make it easy on everyone in the queue in front of the person buying the coffee etc, but it’s easy to see why it happens.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
You could always go over to them and asked if they had finished with the table (in a polite and nom-sarcastic way - I may struggle with that!)

I bet they are the same people that put their laptop bags etc on the seat next them on the train so no-one can sit there.

Can I join the grumpy club please ?
Ha ha I would struggle with that...the sarcasm would just flow!
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinygog View Post
I went into a Costa the other day with 3 of my family and we struggled to get a seat. In the end we pushed a couple of tables together so we could sit down with each other. Whilst sitting there I noticed people sitting at tables without even a drink with laptops open and working away. They often had earphones in, with papers spread across a table, tapping away on a laptop. Even if they did buy a drink to use the place, they obviously finished it a while ago, but seemed quite happy to sit there for ages working away. By the time we had finished and left a lot of the same people were still in there on their laptops. No-one working in Costa seemed to notice/care. It seemed from a business point of view not a good situation. Why would you let people sit for ages and ages working at a table when other customers could come in, see no free tables, and leave? Does anyone else notice this, or is this annoyance to me just another string to my grumpy old man bow?
Unfortunately a problem in ALL costas it’s an overflow of the USA coffee shop culture but not good with the size of UK costas you would think Whitbread would have a policy even if all shops are concessions
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
The amount of people who do this on the train is unreal.
This happened to us once and the guy was in the seats in front of us. So we just started talking to eachother in really loud voices until he turned to us to ask us to be quiet! ….. you can imagine my reply to him... and no I didn't swear. A few passengers clapped once he then turned his ipad off.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I travel by train a lot and get to hear alot of "half converdations" between people on their way home and their other halves

Once the man was speaking so loudly into the phone about what to have to tea when he ended the call I said to him "hmmm...Chinese that's a good call". He took exception to this and said I shouldn't listen into private conversations at which point I suggested he may want to review the meaning of the word "private"
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Guilty as charged - table hogging right now, but this is the view!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Norway ?
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

I went to visit my mum in hospital last week and went I to Costa for a drink as I was too early for visiting hours.
I managed to find a table so sat down. Tables were full of hospital staff, as you would expect, however they were sat eating their lunch out of foil, tupperware boxes etc and also brought their own juice/water bottles.
They were not purchasing from Costa at all. There was also an M&S and some were buying food there and bringing it over to Costa to eat!
Some customers had nowhere to sit as all the tables were taken. Whilst I appreciate all NHS staff and the job they do, it seems wrong that they are treating Costa as a picnic area!

Edited at 11:16 AM.
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Alesund?

Beautiful apart from the inevitable, ugly huge cruise ship spoiling the view...
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List