Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

First world problems in M and S!

I popped into M and S today to get some goodies for our MC in Florida! Obviously I picked up a few extra bits too (as you do), anyway when we got to checkout Cash Only. I looked in my purse and I had exactly £42 in cash. Luckily there was a cash point (a very slow one) so I joined the queue for that, mentally adding up how much I'd spent. Anyway two people in front of me the cash machine went down. I stomped back to the trolley mentally discarding the non essentials to be told the card were now being accepted. So I paid (£56 something) and then remembered I needed a card. I bought said card and went to self pay checkout clasping my £2 coins and it refused to take cash. I pressed for help and waited and waited and waited some more then stomped over to the basket only till and paid.
I remember when M and S had enough staff and they are no cheaper now than they were then!

On a high note the cherries I bought were gorgeous tho. And I recommend the coronation potato salad.

Of course had I only bought what I went for I would have been well able to pay cash in the first place. There's a moral there somewhere!

PS and I forgot to use my Sparks card again.

Edited at 01:41 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
billbarbara229
Imagineer

Bil went yesterday bought bargains we didnt need indian meal for tea tonight wish he would leave the shopping to me !
billbarbara229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Our local M & S foodstore has loads of staff. All really nice. I hope they don't make cutbacks as it attracts a lot of the more mature shoppers some of whom need the staff to help them with their shopping and carrying stuff. Not me!

I don't know the last time I ever had any cash on me be it notes or coins

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

M&S first world problems for me yesterday... the chocolate petit pains on the bakery counter were over cooked so had to go without lol.
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Our local M & S foodstore has loads of staff. All really nice. I hope they don't make cutbacks as it attracts a lot of the more mature shoppers some of whom need the staff to help them with their shopping and carrying stuff. Not me!

I don't know the last time I ever had any cash on me be it notes or coins
You've made an interesting point there. This was a traditional store, I usually go to the food stores and they seem to be better staffed. I travelled further and fared worse!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Sue, your problem was not as serious as mine, because our local marks closed and we have to travel to Pinner (where Elton John was born), and it is too posh an area for me, so I'm still waiting for marks to start a food delivery service so the posh folk of Pinner don't have to look down at me because I have a tattoo.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Sue, your problem was not as serious as mine, because our local marks closed and we have to travel to Pinner (where Elton John was born), and it is too posh an area for me, so I'm still waiting for marks to start a food delivery service so the posh folk of Pinner don't have to look down at me because I have a tattoo.
I had family in Pinner many years ago. It wasn't Elton John though.

I did go into Hertfordshire today maybe that was the problem.
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
And very hairy arms too! I'm sure the local food bank will not look down on you!

PS Our M and S food is very good, plenty of staff to help. Wasabi Peas are reduced to £1 a bag! Lovely cherries!
Old 19 Jun 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Pinner is our local as well , I think they let me in as we live here although I do get some funny looks sometime if I pop in without my hair done

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I popped into M and S today to get some goodies for our MC in Florida! Obviously I picked up a few extra bits too (as you do), anyway when we got to checkout Cash Only. I looked in my purse and I had exactly £42 in cash. Luckily there was a cash point (a very slow one) so I joined the queue for that, mentally adding up how much I'd spent. Anyway two people in front of me the cash machine went down. I stomped back to the trolley mentally discarding the non essentials to be told the card were now being accepted. So I paid (£56 something) and then remembered I needed a card. I bought said card and went to self pay checkout clasping my £2 coins and it refused to take cash. I pressed for help and waited and waited and waited some more then stomped over to the basket only till and paid.
I remember when M and S had enough staff and they are no cheaper now than they were then!

On a high note the cherries I bought were gorgeous tho. And I recommend the coronation potato salad.

Of course had I only bought what I went for I would have been well able to pay cash in the first place. There's a moral there somewhere!

PS and I forgot to use my Sparks card again.
I usually have about 20p in my purse just always forget to get cash out !

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List