Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 21, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sashadog
Imagineer

Fly drive

I suspect I might know the answer to this but asking anyway 😀 is £4406 a good price for a fly drive for 2 adults and one child? Includes full size suv and the
Upgraded insurance. Never done a fly drive before 🤦🏻
sashadog is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
When is it for? Seems very expensive to me. We are a family of 4 and usually pay around £2800 for a fly drive with SUV with direct flights with BA in August for 3 weeks. BA includes all necessary insurance for the car.
Old 19 Feb 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
sashadog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
When is it for? Seems very expensive to me. We are a family of 4 and usually pay around £2800 for a fly drive with SUV with direct flights with BA in August for 3 weeks. BA includes all necessary insurance for the car.
It’s with virgin for October 2022. We’re wanting to fly from Manchester and unfortunately BA don’t fly from there
sashadog is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Extremely high in my opinion. That is always the danger when there is only one airline operating the route.

With most operators, you don’t need to upgrade the car insurance either.

I would be looking to fly from London and save well in excess of £1000

Edited at 08:47 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
sashadog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Extremely high in my opinion. That is always the danger when there is only one airline operating the route.

With most operators, you don’t need to upgrade the insurance either.

I would be looking to fly from London and save well in excess of £1000
Would love to fly from London, just don’t fancy the long flight home followed by a long drive back to Cheshire 😞
Old 19 Feb 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=sashadog;14844410]Would love to fly from London, just don’t fancy the long flight home followed by a long drive back to Cheshire 😞[/QUOTE

I have to drive 5 hrs regardless from West Cornwall as I won’t pay the £200 plus each to fly up from Newquay to London and back. (Not sure if the flight even operates any more with the demise of Flybe). I would drive from Falmouth to Glasgow if it saved me £1000.

Convenience is often the snag for many. I would weigh up how long it will take me to earn the money, pay tax and NI on it and then have the thousand (or more!) in my wallet to pay for the convenient flight. In my case it would be just over 100 hours.. or 2 weeks and a day.

When I am sitting in the aircraft and en route to the USA, that thousand would be sitting at home and will be going towards my next vacation, as I would doubtless work the hours anyway. I ensure that I have always paid off each vacation including spends before it starts.

I have no doubt that to some, money is unimportant or even irrelevant . To me, £1000 is a great deal.. even though I visit the USA most years. This is possible because I am very budget conscious despite having a moderate income and four in the family group...

Edited at 08:48 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Would love to fly from London, just don’t fancy the long flight home followed by a long drive back to Cheshire 😞
It is worth while keeping an eye on BA flights that include a connection from Manchester sometimes they don't add a huge amount on to the cost of LHR-MCO. Oddly occassionally it can be cheaper (or as cheap) due to the way that TFC's are calculated.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

Wait until 11 months before, the fly drive prices usually drop when the flight only prices are released. We did this for October this year and got Virgin flights direct from Manchester for 4, (2 adults, 1 young adult and 1 child) £3800 economy going, upper class return so be sure to check out the upgrade prices as we were shocked at how cheap UC was for those first few days after release. The price included an mid size car with gold insurance.
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

We paid just over £2260 for 5 of us for BA for Xmas time and never really paid more than that for July / Oct school hols.
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I think it’s an eye wateringly expensive quote, sorry. We also live in the West Country, so always have a four hour drive to the airport and back. I would possibly pay a couple hundred for convenience, but for us as a family paying possibly a thousand pounds or even more just to fly local would be a definite no. If I could fly from Exeter which is my nearest airport at 45 minutes away or from Gatwick at 4 hours, I’d definitely drive to Gatwick if it was that much cheaper. Depends on what your priorities are for the holiday? We also go up the night before the flight and stay over, have a few drinks and a nice meal, starts the holidays off nicely. You could also get a dayroom at the airport on arrival home and sleep for a few hours before the drive back, or get the train, coach etc.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List