Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Apr 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Miami, Orlando or Fort Lauderdale?

Myself and my partner are now planning an unexpected trip to Florida potentially in easter break 2021 (I work in a school so I'm restricted by term dates!)

Yesterday we got the news from Virgin that we had won a free 5 night cruise with them and we have to take it by April 20th 2022, we already have a trip planned for October 2021 to Disney and thought we would try and book the cruise for easter break to give us the longest time possible for things to get back to normal

Well we figured 5 nights was not long enough in Orlando for us and so we are now looking into extending the trip but we are unsure on what to do! We are considering staying and exploring Miami (although spring break does put me off this), driving to Orlando and spending time time or driving to Fort Lauderdale to explore that area. The cruise departs from Miami.

Has anyone does a split holiday with a cruise? If you have, what did you end up doing?

Thanks!

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Yes - out last holiday in 2019.

We landed in Miami (mainly because cheaper, BA Fly drive), stayed at Hilton Gardens opposite Dolphin Mall, then drove down to the Keys the next day for 2 nights - Marathon is around half way so did snorkling at at parks one day and drove to Key West the other , coming back to Miami for a 3 night RC Perfect Day cruise, then we had a week in Orlando, just at Rosen Inn to save some costs, we did Discovery Cove, Seaworld, Aquatica, 2 days at Universal (with Hard Rock Hotel stay so express passes both days) and Disney MK After Hours Event to get in all the rides in one hit, and spent a night at Vero Beach (Holiday Inn on sea front) on way back to Miami.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside

Edited at 09:24 AM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by meegraine View Post
Myself and my partner are now planning an unexpected trip to Florida potentially in easter break 2021 (I work in a school so I'm restricted by term dates!)

Yesterday we got the news from Virgin that we had won a free 5 night cruise with them and we have to take it by April 20th 2022, we already have a trip planned for October 2021 to Disney and thought we would try and book the cruise for easter break to give us the longest time possible for things to get back to normal

Well we figured 5 nights was not long enough in Orlando for us and so we are now looking into extending the trip but we are unsure on what to do! We are considering staying and exploring Miami (although spring break does put me off this), driving to Orlando and spending time time or driving to Fort Lauderdale to explore that area. The cruise departs from Miami.

Has anyone does a split holiday with a cruise? If you have, what did you end up doing?

Thanks!
Yes summer 2019 we did Universal, then went to Indian Shores then went to Miami to get on the cruise.

Miami is dead easy for RCI at least- there’s a massive multi story car park at the cruise terminal, no need to book, just turn up and park up. Lifts straight down to where you go into the terminal.

Virgin are currently building a new terminal at Miami and I think it will be a similar set up with its own multi story car park.

It’s therefore very easy to drive in on the day of the cruise, park up and just onboard.
Old 28 Apr 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Yes - out last holiday in 2019.

We landed in Miami (mainly because cheaper, BA Fly drive), stayed at Hilton Gardens opposite Dolphin Mall, then drove down to the Keys the next day for 2 nights - Marathon is around half way so did snorkling at at parks one day and drove to Key West the other , coming back to Miami for a 3 night RC Perfect Day cruise, then we had a week in Orlando, just at Rosen Inn to save some costs, we did Discovery Cove, Seaworld, Aquatica, 2 days at Universal (with Hard Rock Hotel stay so express passes both days) and Disney MK After Hours Event to get in all the rides in one hit, and spent a night at Vero Beach (Holiday Inn on sea front) on way back to Miami.
We were debating flying into Miami (as its cheaper) and then driving down to Orlando for a week before driving back to Miami for the cruise and then spending 1 night in Miami after the cruise before flying home. Not sure if thats a good plan or not!

meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes summer 2019 we did Universal, then went to Indian Shores then went to Miami to get on the cruise.

Miami is dead easy for RCI at least- there’s a massive multi story car park at the cruise terminal, no need to book, just turn up and park up. Lifts straight down to where you go into the terminal.

Virgin are currently building a new terminal at Miami and I think it will be a similar set up with its own multi story car park.

It’s therefore very easy to drive in on the day of the cruise, park up and just onboard.
I've never been on a cruise before so this will be a whole new experience for me! Boarding seems to start at 7pm so we'll hopefully have plenty of time to figure it all out!

Old 28 Apr 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

It was out first cruise, so to take the stress out of it we parked at the multi story at the dock - was so smooth. We read you can save money by parking away from docks and getting a bus - even retuning car so you are not paying for hire on the cruise (that might work for you as you have done with the car pretty much).

Our boarding was 12.30pm, but we arrived early and were on at 9.30am enjoying the ship (food!). So pack your swimmers etc in your carry on bag, as cases didn't arrive till mid afternoon. This was with Royal Caribbean.

They other thing we found, we didn't pay for drinks packages (alcohol or pop) or oop restaurants... was enough variety in the buffet alone and the sit down meal - and we knew we'd be eating a lot in Orlando! Might be similar for you, towards end of holiday we often are permanently full!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

When we went on a cruise we flew to MCO, had 6 nights in Orlando just doing the Sea World parks, drove to Miami for 7 day cruise, drove back up to Orlando for another 2 nights. We did 2 separate car hires. I didn’t want the cruise to be straight after or before the flights just in case of any delays.

Well done on winning the cruise !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We have split it several times,often we open jaw the flights into MCO but out of Miami if that’s where the cruise disembarks.
We like to do the cruise last. With turnaround you have to be off the ship pretty early so we book a day room at a hotel on the beach spend the last day relaxing , shower and head for the airport for the evening flight , I don’t like to be “homeless” on our last day.
I’m quite sad we will be cancelling our cruise this year.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We have split it several times,often we open jaw the flights into MCO but out of Miami if that’s where the cruise disembarks.
We like to do the cruise last. With turnaround you have to be off the ship pretty early so we book a day room at a hotel on the beach spend the last day relaxing , shower and head for the airport for the evening flight , I don’t like to be “homeless” on our last day.
I’m quite sad we will be cancelling our cruise this year.
I completely forgot about a day room! We were looking at booking a hotel the day of dis-embarkment but completely forgot about needing it earlier in the day!