Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 May 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Kitchen design help

So like many others I want a new kitchen but I am not sure how best to plan it.

This is from thedoorway from the lounge. The front door is to my left and the back door to my right

This I from the stairs towards the back door

This is looking towards the stairs

The previous owners had a table where my rug is which was either a 6 or 8 seater.

I bought the kitchen island and it usually sits by the stairs but I have been trying out different layouts.

I have a separate utility room plus a small space to the right just past the dresser in the first photo. Currently I have the fridge and chest freezer there. The dresser was in the dining room until recently.

I don't have a lot of natural light so whilst I would love dark cupboards I will stick to a lighter colour.

Behind the cooker is the chimney breast, I would love to have a straight run across that wall but not sure how feasible it would be.

Any thoughts, issues and suggestions on what I can do please
Old 10 May 21, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

That looks like quite a complicated area, full of nooks and crannies.

Would it be possible to recess the range into the chimney breast, using the flue for an extraction fan?

Nothing more to offer really, but you could ask for a few local kitchen companies to come out and give some ideas. That might help you to firm up on what you want, and what you need, and what is possible.

Best of luck!
Old 10 May 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I agree, it took us 3 kitchen companies, a builder and 2 architects to get a solution for our space and 5 designs to sort out our bathroom😫 It also depends how much money you are willing to throw at it, both of our solutions cost substantially more than we had budgeted but would make such a difference we decided to go for them.

I think insetting your cooker into the chimney breast would be a great idea but how feasible it is I wouldn’t know🥴

Maybe draw some floor plans out and go into Wrens, Howdens and Magnet for some ideas, as well as looking on Checkatrade for a builder/carpenter. Pinterest might give you some ideas too.

Good luck with it all and look forward to seeing what you choose 😉
Old 10 May 21, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would probably go and see a couple of kitchen designers (for a simple plan before you decide to buy it normally doesnt cost anything).

Whats to the right of the kitchen island? Looks like there is an opening there ? If that is accessible from elsewhere, you could buld the wall across to get a long wall? If that’s possible, then I would put kitchen along that wall and then turn the area to the left of the cooker and under the stairs into a walk in pantry.

Otherwise I would try to keep everything same colour - so if you went with cream or light grey to match the cooker, then I would also repaint the stairs to match and replace or paint the dresser too. Having it in same colour/tone will make it look bigger and seamless.

Love the cooker by the way 😃
Old 10 May 21, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I've been into a few places and had some designs done though just for the current kitchen area.
Not cheap, more than I wanted to pay.

I like the cooker but it is almost knackered, as is the hood. My fridge and freezer need replacing so thought I would do a new kitchen.

The area to the right leads to the utility room and then the bathroom.
Old 10 May 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Have you thought about relocating the kitchen to the dining room and making this the dining room?

With very little natural light I'd struggle with that space.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

My first thought was the same as Tigger71 with a walk in larder under the stairs area. It’s a large room - I would have a dining area. It’s not an easy room to design though.

I have to ask how many pets do you have - I’ve counted at least 11 bowls on the floor!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Have you thought about relocating the kitchen to the dining room and making this the dining room?

With very little natural light I'd struggle with that space.
That’s a good idea if it is possible. This room could then be split to be a dining room and a snug or office.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
My first thought was the same as Tigger71 with a walk in larder under the stairs area. It’s a large room - I would have a dining area. It’s not an easy room to design though.

I have to ask how many pets do you have - I’ve counted at least 11 bowls on the floor!
10 cats :-) lots of water bowls and food bowls

i was using a different room for the dining table, now using it as a lounge.
I have relocated the table into the large living area.

i have toyed with moving the kitchen around but not sure how i feel about the front door right into the kitchen - the wind blows right into the house when i open the door.

I am thinking of putting an extra window in where the large dresser is as this would give a lot more light.

i put a hole in the plasterboard behind the cooker last night and poked a stick in. i think they just put plaster board up so could gain an extra 20 to 30 cms across most of it.

in the far right corner of the kitchen behind the wall is the soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom.
Old 10 May 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
That’s a good idea if it is possible. This room could then be split to be a dining room and a snug or office.
i thought about that too, but it would be dark as an office and as i work from home it would be depressing.

there is a lovely, but expensive, kitchen place locally so i may ask them to take a look as they also do all the work including building work.