Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Apr 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Maggi68
Excited about Disney

Mobile To book or not too book!

We visited florida for the first time a year ago and loved it! We vowed to come back and agreed we'd go again in 2018 as it's my husbands 50th.

We were originally looking at travelling at the end of may / early June. We've kept an eye on prices and decided to wait until Thomson released their prices this week as some packages are coming out better value than diy.

When trump was elected we said we'd see how things panned out. I've still been keen to go until this week and now I'm not so sure! I would be apprehensive to book this week as I feel the situation is a bit volatile at the moment.

Our other option is to book a cruise, something we've never done either! Again we're considering Thomson for this but have seen some good prices with Norwegian and P&O too. Ideally we'd book this asap too so we can make the most of early booking discounts!

Is anyone else a little apprehensive or have reservations about booking? (no pun intended!) is anyone considering alternatives at the moment?

We could of course hang fire and book later in the year but I'm a bit of an ocd planner and like to have things booked in advance! I'd love to go on a cruise but will I kick myself if all works out ok in florida and spend my time wishing we were there?
Maggi68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not been apprehensive at all. Nothing has happened in the US yet (that I'm aware off) and I'm still going to holiday where I want. The world is rubbish all over at the minute, wherever I holiday isn't going to change that!

However, everything I have booked is deposit only, so if something was going to kick off and make me not want to travel, we would only stand to lose £480, which I would cope with. You have to go with what makes you happy, life is far to short to worry about stuff you have little or no control over x

Edited at 09:42 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

What do you mean by the situation being a bit volatile at the moment?

With free dining coming out last week loads of people have booked WDW holidays for next year, myself included.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Maggi68
Excited about Disney

Mobile

That's a good point actually. If we did book I think the deposit is about £150 so would be £450 in total. That could be the decider between diy or package actually. If we booked flight only we'd have to pay upfront so a package would be a good alternative! Hmmm lots to consider!
Maggi68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Maggi68
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
What do you mean by the situation being a bit volatile at the moment?

With free dining coming out last week loads of people have booked WDW holidays for next year, myself included.
I meant with trump dropping MOAB's in Afghanistan and also threatening action in north Korea. Whilst I believe he (trump) is all mouth I do think Kim Jong Un is crazy enough to want to show trump who is boss!
I'm not usually one to worry much, I know there is less chance of that happening as being hit by a bus but I don't feel I would be able to relax or get into it as much at the moment!
But would a med cruise really be any better or less risky even if it all kicked off?

Edited at 10:05 PM.
Old 14 Apr 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Maggi68 View Post
I meant with trump dropping MOAB's in Syria and also threatening action in north Korea. Whilst I believe he (trump) is all mouth I do think Kim Jong Un is crazy enough to want to show trump who is boss!
I'm not usually one to worry much, I know there is less chance of that happening as being hit by a bus but I don't feel I would be able to relax or get into it as much at the moment!
But would a med cruise really be any better or less risky even if it all kicked off?
You're not alone in being slightly concerned. It does feel a bit unsettling. We're already booked for this year and part of me is worried it won't go ahead.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

I really don't think you have much to worry about. If we are to live in the 'what might happen' we would never do anything. The drive to the airport is more likely to kill you than the flight etc. If worst comes to the worst we will all be in it together and don't think it matters where you live if are in holiday.

Sorry but I do think you are over thinking this. Sorry to be so blunt but the world is different to what it was 16 years ago but we have to carry on. Some people will no doubt attempt to placate you and say they agree, but I am not one of those people as not here to curry favour but will offer advice and assistance where necessary. Go and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you won't regret it,
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Maggi68 View Post
I meant with trump dropping MOAB's in Afghanistan and also threatening action in north Korea. Whilst I believe he (trump) is all mouth I do think Kim Jong Un is crazy enough to want to show trump who is boss!
I didn't know anything about that. I've got enough going on with my own life without worrying about something which is nothing to do with me! My last trip to WDW was in 1997 and I'm not going to let it stop me going there next year. I worked in London for several years during the time of the IRA bombings and I and my colleagues didn't let it run our lives. Incidentally I'm 53, not a a fearless youngster But you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

I don't think any of the posts above 'curry favour' or 'placate'.

I do appreciate where you're coming from, OP.

However, having lived and worked in the US, and working in the criminal justice system in the UK, I appreciate we are never very far removed from possible danger. If you stray off the tourist track anywhere (and even when on it!) there are multiple things that could happen to risk both safety and your holiday. But only you can decide whether a situation unnerves you enough for it to make you decide to holiday elsewhere. As things stand I'm not entertaining the thought of cancelling our summer holiday. I'm sure you will do what is right for you. Florida? Cruise? Win-win really 😉

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

If you are worried about terrorist attacks I don't think you will feel any safer on a cruise.

I've often thought a cruise ship would be an ideal target, stuck in the middle of the ocean with nowhere for victims to escape to.

Sorry if I've put a damper on your cruise plans!

I'm apprehensive about travel too, but I could just as easily be a target in my home city, I'm not going to let the threat of being attacked by some random nutter stop me doing what I want to do.

Anijay
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List