Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Aug 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PENNYC
Excited about Disney

Mobile Hand luggage with virgin.

Does anyone know how strict virgin are with the size of your hand luggage? We are checking our cases in but I wanted to take a small case for hand luggage and put some clothes in there too just in case our luggage got lost. (We are flying indirect which I’ve never done before so a bit worried) the size I was going to use was this case attached but when I’ve looked at the measurements on the virgin web site it comes in a little bit wide. Any suggestions would be grateful 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD5F7ABE-0B82-4CC9-BC6B-92404500B481.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	65024  
PENNYC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I have only ever had my case checked once in all the years of flying VS, but that was in 2006 just after the first big wave of cabin bag restrictions came in and it seemed to be blanket policy at that time as everyone was checked. But from memory, it was only weighed and not measured. But you never know when you'll get a clerk in a bad mood so I always make sure my bag is within VS sizes. Hard to do these days though as they still use the old international standard (B1) and most cases are now made for the C1 standard since this is more common on the European carriers.

I'd say unless it looks massively oversized, you'll probably be fine. But it depends how willing you are to have it checked through if they pick up on it, as they would be within their rights to do so.

Edited at 02:34 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

The simple answer is 'Not strict enough'. Far too many people pushing the boundaries with their carry-ons in the assumption that it really doesn't matter is a recipe for delay, confusion and ill-feeling. Why will people not just stick to what the airline say is allowed?

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
PENNYC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
The simple answer is 'Not strict enough'. Far too many people pushing the boundaries with their carry-ons in the assumption that it really doesn't matter is a recipe for delay, confusion and ill-feeling. Why will people not just stick to what the airline say is allowed?
I wasn’t planning on pushing any boundaries. I was just asking a simple question as my case is just a couple of centremeters out. Your right I also see lots of people taking everything but the kitchen sink on the plane. I think I’ll try and borrow a case that is exactly the measurements Virgin are stating.
PENNYC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It's always a touchy subject cabin baggage. They arent to strict on virgin.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PENNYC View Post
Does anyone know how strict virgin are with the size of your hand luggage? We are checking our cases in but I wanted to take a small case for hand luggage and put some clothes in there too just in case our luggage got lost. (We are flying indirect which I’ve never done before so a bit worried) the size I was going to use was this case attached but when I’ve looked at the measurements on the virgin web site it comes in a little bit wide. Any suggestions would be grateful 😊
Isn't that cabin bag size anyway...it looks the one I have and that is the accepted size
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm another one who wishes they were strict. Why should the majority follow the airlines rules with some just ignoring it or getting away with it.

A general comment, not directed at the OP
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PENNYC View Post
I wasn’t planning on pushing any boundaries. I was just asking a simple question as my case is just a couple of centremeters out. Your right I also see lots of people taking everything but the kitchen sink on the plane. I think I’ll try and borrow a case that is exactly the measurements Virgin are stating.
Penny, if you took that as a personal attack, I'm sorry you saw it that way. My comments were aimed at Virgin for not upholding their limits and those passengers who feel that the rules are there for everyone but them. Have a good trip.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have never had mi cabin bags checked on the way out with Virgin. But have had them checked multiple times on the way home. But not this year.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

The problem you have is that if your case is slightly over it may get checked and you may not have it in the cabin and you can’t moan.

I have made probably over 100 indirect flights my luggage has been lost twice both on the way home once we got upgraded to an earlier flight our luggage didn’t make it once because some dozy girl picked up my bag and went on to Dublin with it instead of her own.

My hand luggage is a small back pack contains spare socks, underwear, and t shirt enough to last me a day if pushed, if I need anything else I will buy it and the airline will pay. It also has first aid, iPad, phone, tablets, battery pack, torch and headphones think that is it. There really is no need for anyth8ng bigger and it’s a pain in the ≈≈≈≈ walking round the airport with a big case and even worse walking down the aisle with a big bag.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List