Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Apr 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon1006
Proud to wear my Ears

Are Buffet Restaurants a thing of the past?

Morning all,

We're looking ahead and hoping to book our next trip in 2022, I have been looking at some of our old favourites both on and off site... It seems they've either closed permanently or for good!

Sweet Tomatoes
Golden Coral (192)
Sizzler
Boma

What's people's thoughts on whether we'll see this sort of place open back up in the medium term (next 12-18 months)?
Simon1006 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I would think the onsite ones certainly will, perhaps served 'family style' instead, which is what Disneyland Paris were doing last year.

Or perhaps 'cafeteria style' ie everything is behind plexiglass, ask for what you want and the CM puts it on your plate.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I think buffets were dying out anyway, you only have to look at all the ones that are on their last legs or going bust.

I remember when first visiting Florida in ‘91 the buffet was a thing to behold, you couldn’t really get them here.

I think they’ll survive in hotels (breakfast in States and your Euro hotels) and maybe cruise ships.
Old 25 Apr 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon1006 View Post
Morning all,

We're looking ahead and hoping to book our next trip in 2022, I have been looking at some of our old favourites both on and off site... It seems they've either closed permanently or for good!

Sweet Tomatoes
Golden Coral (192)
Sizzler
Boma

What's people's thoughts on whether we'll see this sort of place open back up in the medium term (next 12-18 months)?
I know Sweet Tomatoes have closed but didnt realise Golden Coral on the 192 has closed such a pity
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon1006
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Trueblue88 View Post
I know Sweet Tomatoes have closed but didnt realise Golden Coral on the 192 has closed such a pity
It may just be a temporary closure, but would be good to see it open again once international tourists start to swell in numbers.
Simon1006 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
We’ve done Ponderosa and Golden Coral in the past but personally I don’t think I’d be going to one again. A great budget choice back in the day but hygiene was horrendous before any of todays events took place.

Disney will probably just do family style for the future. I’m not sure about more upmarket Brazilian places like Fogo de Chao and Texas De Brazil will do as lots was buffet in those.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I just read there are 41 well known chains in the US who are closing some franchised sites and/or are struggling including places like Cici's,Ihop, Dennys &Cheesecake factory.
So in some cases it maybe just the franchised site closing down( not in the case of Sweet tomatoes I know)

Many may have been hanging on by the skin of their teeth financially and the pandemic was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I hope for those that make it through they realise that they will need to up their hygiene game and this includes some UK restaurants.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon1006 View Post
Morning all,

Sweet Tomatoes
Golden Coral (192)
Sizzler
Boma

Which one(s) on the 192 there are several? (Golden Corrals)

Edited at 01:20 PM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Someone on here told me that Ichiban was still going and that's a buffet.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Golden Corral:

192 near Old Lake Wilson - permanently shut

Near Celebration - open

Near downtown Kissimmee - still shut but looks temporary

Lake Buena Vista - open

Ponderosa near Old Lake Wilson, Ichiban, Hokkiado all open

Sweet Tomatoes all closed due to financial issues pre Covid