Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 May 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

bathroom refit

we moved in 5 years ago now, and before we moved, we had most of the house gutted and redone. new electrics, heating system, the works. but there wasnt enough in the budget to do the bathroom or kitchen. i got quotes a couple of years ago, and was shocked at how high the prices were compared to what i was expecting...

then brexit happened. so prices rose, then covid, and so i managed to save up enough to get them both done because we stopped going out for a year.

we've started with the bathroom. the house was built in 1969ish, and it feels like the bathroom could have been the original when it was built. even if not, its definitely 1980's or older. when we moved in, we removed the carpet, put lino down, had the taps changed, a new shower installed where the old one was, and a new radiator, but otherwise it was still original stuff. the sink had a massive crack in it from when the taps were fitted. i was fully expecting the cat to jump on it at some point, and it would just shatter into a load of bits, but i held up for a full 5 years before we got it all ripped out!

heres the original photos:

day 1...

they ripped out the floor and replaced it, moved the toilet waste pipe to where the sink was, put in piping to where the sink is going (opposite the toilet) as well as electrics (including to where the new toilet is going and the new cabinet/mirror unit. the old light came out, and has been replaced with 8 LED downlights, and a pair of waterproof speakers fitted in the ceiling, going to a mini amplifier/bluetooth receiver in the loft

talk about "toilets with threatening auras"

then there was only a couple of days they came in last week, as there were delays on parts arriving. but we've had our new MASSIVE bath fitted and working, and the old toilet put back in temporarily while the new one arrives.

the bath is 1900mm x 900mm. i wanted a 2m bath, but its hard to find a good quality reinforced one at that length, whereas the 1900mm was in stock and ready to collect. so we went with that, and are getting the end bit boxed out for a shelf to stash shampoo/etc.

today, the builder covered the new floorboards with ply and fitted the shower tray (not pictured yet), ready for the tiler arriving tomorrow...

the builder got a call at lunchtime to say the toilet he ordered three weeks ago was now not available until september! its a posh bluetooth japanese style bidet toilet, and whilst i was (originally) convinced i wanted a much cheaper one, i'd ended up REALLY wanting the one the plumber found for me (vitra v-care prime for anyone wondering!)

so i spent half an hour phoning round a few places i found online to see if anywhere had stock. fortunately, one place had one left, so that should be here later this week with any luck!

so yeah, tiling tomorrow, then hopefully the rest of it in the days to come. its already around a week later than anticipated thanks to stock shortages

i cant say how much i ABSOLUTELY LOVE my new bath. its *huge* - you can sit sideways in it cross-legged its that wide!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Looking great so far, how did you put up with it for so long, I managed 6 months with our gem Our bath would fit inside yours
Old 11 May 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

to be fair, it was all working ok, it was just small and ugly. the old bath was terribly designed! it had a curve on the outer edge... which meant if it wasnt curved, you could get an extra inch or two of water in it before it overflowed (it didnt have an overflow drain either!)

this is the new bluetooth toilet. hopefully should be on the way shortly

this is the bath. a carronite extra strength one

ukbathroomstore/ca...3-4931-23-5931

and heres the shower tray in place. builder has just nipped to collect the tiles

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

We are currently redoing our bathroom, taking out the bath and putting in a shower. So many issues so far. Our house is a new build, central heating pipe under the bath so that had to be adjusted, put the shower tray in place and the walls are squint which will be and issue with the wet wall
Old 12 May 21, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Love a bathroom refurb. At long last our en-suite refurb will be started on next week.
Have ordered one of these.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Following and excited to see how it looks - my bathroom getting done soon so looking for ideas
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
this is the new bluetooth toilet. hopefully should be on the way shortly

heres where it is going...

only problem is the "monolith" (cool name!) water tank sits 10cm higher than the windowsill. i've told the plumber this isnt an issue, and will only have a plant of something on the windowsill between it and the window, so i'm not bothered about it looking a bit odd

the plumber really doesnt like the idea of it not fitting right, but all the other options are loads more work to make it look right (and building the windowsill up would block the bottom of the window) - all other makes/options arent right... theres a geberit monolith that would fit, but their smart toilets are ugly in comparison to the vitra, and the monolith unit is a full £600 more than the 10cm higher vitra block

to me, thats a long weekend in prague or somewhere, just for a toilet block that looks right, but has a toilet attached to it that isnt anywhere as nice/well featured as the vitra

am i making a big mistake?
Old 12 May 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

It wouldn’t be for me and I wouldn’t want a toilet higher than the windowsill. We have gone for a normal rimless back to the wall pan . I wouldn’t want to spend so much when Im not planning spending hours on the loo, hope not anyway.,Hubby might after a curry
If it’s something you really have your heart set on then only you can decide.

Edited at 12:15 PM.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

accessory time

i like these shower shelves, i bought two of them, but when i sent these photos to the gf (whos back in the office today) she thinks they look too big.

i gave her a week to find some shelves she liked, and didnt get back to us, so i ordered these with the intention of sending back if they arent right

they are quite big, but they are corner shelves, so hopefully wont stick out too much once the rest is in place (shower back in, surround unit installed)

these are the units, they seem very well built compared to a bunch of others i looked at (which seemed to be mostly made of thin metal sheet so had a bunch of rough edges according to reviews) and similar ones on john lewis and other posh places seemed to be upwards of £60-150, so less than £25 for a pair seems like a bargain to me...
Old 12 May 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

We got the tiler to build the shelves into the tiles so there was like a false wall with indent squares so we could put toiletries in
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List