Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 16, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Afitos View Post
When are you wanting to go ?
The dates were actually 1st Sept returning 25th Sept which covers the dates we are already flying so was interest to see how the price would differ. Which lead to me wondering how I would book them for future reference... but i've been able to get the same price on Expedia so all good.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't used this matrix thing before but it's really useful.

I'm on a business trip in the US at the moment and we flew Club World, which was a first for me. I never want to go back to economy - and at the prices others are quoting, hopefully I wouldn't have to
Old 14 Jun 16, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd love to make this work for us, but I have a couple of questions:

Is it best to book a boomerang at 11 months as soon as the flights are released or do prices ever get cheaper nearer to departure?

Is either one of DUB or AMS cheaper than the other or is it just different on different days?

Thanks

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Cantcook - thank you so very much for the Matrix website. I'm with Hayley and Kate... going back to economy is not happening, being shoe-horned into 17.5" of width that our bones simply can't handle, so all tips gratefully received. We appreciate we are very fortunate to travel 'off-peak' where prices are well within our budget.

Before we travelled PE, then Upper, I was an irritable traveller, since paying to travel in a comfortable, stress free environment we've never looked back.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post

Is it best to book a boomerang at 11 months as soon as the flights are released or do prices ever get cheaper nearer to departure?

Is either one of DUB or AMS cheaper than the other or is it just different on different days?

Thanks

EC
Hi Edna - find a price/route that you are happy with and go for it, then don't look again at price ... it's not worth contemplating could it/couldn't it go up/come down, if you want the comfort level then it's worth buying at a price you're content to pay.

As for Dub or Ams? Again, personal choice. I prefer to stay with Dublin as I like the route of beginning in Dub as we visit friends in Dublin for a couple of days, so it's a win-win for us.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Maybe being really stupid here but I can't see where you get these cheaper prices perhaps someone can point me in the right direction
I'm looking for London to either Mco or Tpa, around the 4 May 2017 to around the 18May prices are coming in for us two at £14k must be doing something wrong lol can't anyone help😀
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lovesholidays View Post
I'm looking for London to either Mco or Tpa, around the 4 May 2017 to around the 18May prices are coming in for us two at £14k must be doing something wrong lol can't anyone help😀
If you want a boomerang fare, you need to start your journey outside the UK - eg DUB or AMS. Then make your way there separately.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post

Thanks

EC
They come in waves. I tend to find 3 to 5 months out is the best time. That said, just keep checking from the 11 month mark and keep checking. When you find a price you’re happy with, book it.

I put in AMS as an example. There are quite a few starting points you can choose. CPH, OSL etc. Dublin normally comes out cheapest.

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Cantcook - thank you so very much for the Matrix website. I'm with Hayley and Kate... going back to economy is not happening, being shoe-horned into 17.5" of width that our bones simply can't handle, so all tips gratefully received. We appreciate we are very fortunate to travel 'off-peak' where prices are well within our budget.

Before we travelled PE, then Upper, I was an irritable traveller, since paying to travel in a comfortable, stress free environment we've never looked back.
Ditto. We were on the A330 back from Dubai a few weeks ago and I started to get angry at the suite. I was quickly reminded by the OH of how we used to travel and to shut up. I complied quite quickly.

Originally Posted by Lovesholidays View Post
Maybe being really stupid here but I can't see where you get these cheaper prices perhaps someone can point me in the right direction
This thread is all about starting somewhere other than London. You’re then ticketed DUB -> LON -> MCO -> LON -> DUB with the majority of people just forgetting to catch the last leg. Providing that’s what you’re trying to do it’s showing £1050 for me, however Expedia is not ticketing that far ahead.

A few other ITA Matrix Tips

The advanced routing codes are key to what you want.

We’ve already looked at ‘LON VS,BA’ and what that means but you could always try VS from Manchester. This would simply be ‘MAN VS’ for the outbound and 'VS MAN' for the inbound. This is telling it you want to fly into MAN with anyone but then to MCO with Virgin. Vice versa for the return.

If you just want BA, type ‘BA’ in the advanced routing. Typing just ‘VS’ in advanced routing wouldn’t work as VS don’t fly from Dublin to London so think it through.

Another cool trick to avoid dealing with Flying Club is using it to find out how much upgradeable fares are.

To search for a Virgin ‘X’ fare type ‘VS / f bc=X’ into both advanced routing boxes. You can then see the fare breakdown and work out the difference in tax. Just a note - if you’re looking for an X fare or W or S, make sure you switch off ‘business class’ in the dropdown. It has a habit of staying there.

Maybe this is somewhat worthy of it's own thread and a YouTube explainer. When people are asking for cheap fares on this site and they have an element of flexibility, it takes about 30 seconds compared to searching date after date after date. It really does save a lot of time and well worth a tiny bit of investment of time.

Edited at 06:40 PM.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Your return date hasn't been released on most USA airlines yet.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

We're actually only on one Boomerang this year. We're going to the West coast in a couple of weeks.

DUB -> LON -> SFO / LAS -> LGW -> DUB = £970 in Upper.

LON -> SFO / LAS -> LGW = £1,011 in Economy.

LON -> SFO / LAS -> LGW = £3,040 in Upper.

It really can save you a lot of money.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread