Old 9 Jun 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
The 260 Mile West Coast Wander - August 2019 - Day 19 - Hollywood Hikes to a Starlit night

INDEX

Thursday 22nd August

We all slept really well even though the hotel was located in a busy area and quite close to the freeway we were undisturbed.

Breakfast ended at 9am so we wanted to make sure we got down to eat something before it finished. We were all ready and down there at 8.30am as expected it was really busy but there was plenty of breakfast options available but there didn’t appear to be anywhere to sit? Anyhow by the time we’d got some food we’d managed to find an empty table to sit and eat at.

We filled up with scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh fruits, muffins, pastries, yoghurts and cereals - no waffle maker but with everything else we ate we didn’t miss them.

Back in our room we applied our suntan lotion and we were set for the day and we left for our destination, Hollywood Lake Park at 10.30.

Even though we followed Google maps we got a little lost on one of the roads near to the park but we soon realised our mistake and we finally ended up in the right place.

Like everyone else we parked up on the road outside the park, lots of people were there taking photos as it’s a great spot to view the sign. We carried on with our walk though as we wanted to go all the way up.

It felt really hot today we made sure we had plenty of water as the walk was around 1 ½ miles. There seemed to be quite a few people walking this way so we did our usual and followed.

We’d watched a few YouTube videos so had a rough idea of which way to go. The further we walked the less people we saw and of course we somehow took a wrong turn and ended up walking along the wrong path for some distance! We finally realised our mistake which added an extra mile to our walk! Poppy wasn’t too pleased about that!

Scott walked at a slower pace with Poppy whilst I sped off ahead with the boys. Once I get into my power walking I have to keep going lol otherwise I would stop.

We passed a few people so we knew we were on the right road and before long I could see the back of the iconic sign.

It wasn’t long until Poppy and Scott caught up with us and I must admit to Poppy being a bit underwhelmed by seeing the back of the sign. Still Poppy was impressed with the views and was pleased for spotting our hotel which was easily visible what with it being located next to the IKEA store!

The views from up there were fantastic it was a little hazy as we looked over LA but it still was an amazing sight to see the city in this way.

We walked up to the top section which is just a little mound of land of course me being me I felt like I was going to fall off (which of course you couldn’t) so I sat down to admire the view.

I’d put my trainers on to walk up today and I couldn’t believe that they’d started to rub my feet again. Remember I’ve been wearing these trainers for years! I put some plasters on the sore patches whilst we sat there.

After a drink, snack and a rest we started our way back down. Yes as all the other walks were it was considerably easier to walk down in fact it hardly took us any time at all.

We stopped for a few more pictures where you get fab views of the sign from this area.

It was good to get back into the car for some nice cool air conditioning. One thing I was desperate for was a wee, no toilets to be found and I’d not been able to find any discreet bushes along our walk – a restroom was much needed!

Following Google maps again we soon arrived at the Hollywood and Highland on Hollywood Boulevard where we easily parked up. First stop was the restrooms! Afterwards we went to get our ticket validated we popped into Starbucks and they validated the ticket for us.

We had a quick look around but we wanted to see the Chinese Theatre and look at the stars along Hollywood Boulevard.

As to be expected it was super busy around here with all manner of people trying to sell all sorts to us. We did our best to ignore them all and it felt really cool to be in such an iconic place.

It really did feel unreal walking down the road looking at all those famous names.

After a bit of a walk down we stopped off at a CVS shop to buy a few bottles of fizzy pop we fancied something a little different to water. We crossed over the road and walk down on the other side. We got a different view of the Chinese Theatre this way and it seemed a little less busy and chaotic.

We were so pleased when we came across the Disney Ghirardelli’s store and of course the kids had to have another one of those delicious sundaes’. Well Poppy had a milkshake for a change!

It was now mid afternoon and we felt like we’d seen everything we wanted so we went back to the car, we paid $3.00 for our parking which I thought was quite reasonable.

Dolby Theatre near the shopping centre parking

Something we really noticed here was the large amount of homeless people especially as we drove out. It was really quite to sad to see so many people living their lives like this.

Back at the hotel we decided to go down to the pool for a little while. When we arrived there wasn’t anyone there so we spent a lovely hour chilling around until another family came along. It was so good to sit back and relax and soak up the sun.

We all showered and changed and went back out for the evening. Our plan was to visit the Griffith Observatory as we didn’t do this earlier after our walk has Poppy wanted to go swimming.

Initially everything was fine we were on the road up to the observatory but then the traffic went to a standstill. It took us absolutely ages to move ½ mile or we wondered why the traffic was so bad? As we edged up further we realised that there was something happening an event at the Greek Theatre. We were directed past the theatre up to the observatory but then told that all the parking was full and we ended up going on a big loop back round.

Eventually we ended up at a parking lot further up from the Greek Theatre, lots of people were parking there and heading up through the adjacent park to the observatory we presumed?

Looking at Google maps the walk wasn’t long, 0.9 mile so we set off walking. The issue was I really didn’t expect to be doing any kind of exercise today so for the first time this holiday I put a little pair of toe post sandals on with were very flimsy and not sensible for dusty tracks!

Anyway there wasn’t much I could do and I really wanted to see the Griffith Observatory it was one of my must do’s of the trip!

We set off and it was ok to start with, we followed a family and some dog walkers for the first part but as we ventured further up the track we soon found ourselves on our own.

Relieved that it didn’t actually take too long to walk up here considering what I was wearing, before we knew it we could see the road that led to the observatory, we’d made it at last.

It was then a short walk along the pavement we were thankful to see a queue for some restrooms as our journey from leaving the hotel to here had taken us considerably longer than we’d originally planned.

Also because of all the added time we weren’t able to see the views I’d been hoping for as the sun had now gone down and it was dark. What we did get though was still incredible and the twinkling lights of the city looked sensational.

We had a quick look inside but it was really busy so we soon came back outside to look more at that stunning panorama.

Venturing further around we noticed a queue for the large telescope, it didn’t look particularly long but a telescope operator came out to say that the queue time was actually an hour. It would’ve been fantastic to look through such a powerful telescope having never looked through one before but it was too long a wait.

Anyway on the lower lawns there were small telescopes set up so with smaller lines so we waited there instead.

I couldn’t believe it the sky started getting cloudier the closer we got to the telescope and I heard a family in front of us saying that they couldn’t see anything. The operator mentioned that he’s give it a few more minutes to see if the cloud would break a little and then he’d pack up for the night. As luck would have it the cloud broke a little and we all got to view Jupiter. I was beyond excited as I’ve never seen a planet in this way before and we couldn’t believe how clear it looked! The kids thought it was awesome too and what a fantastic way to end our brief time here.

We headed back down to the car park at the end of the trail. It was really dark as there wasn’t any lighting we didn’t hang around as we walked back down. We didn’t see anyone else walking this way and now thinking back I think we should’ve found some alternative route back down? Anyway we ended back up at the car safely and there was no traffic on our way back.

Had to stop for some petrol on the way then next stop was for something to eat. We really didn’t plan on being out this late so we looked for something that was quick and easy to get and not too far away. Top of the list was Wendy’s so we popped into there to get some take out. We were soon in our hotel where we had our food. I’d kind of gone past the stage of wanting something to eat but the kids made up for my lack of appetite and soon demolished our big order of grub!

It turned out to be a bit of a late night and I couldn’t get over how much walking we ended up doing that night.
Lights out at 11pm after I'd had another shower to get rid of all the dust on my feet and legs. We’d had quite a full on day but had seen some absolutely amazing views during it all.

Thanks for reading

Steps – 26,635
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Another fantastic day, I am so looking forward to visiting these places. Can I ask how you knew that you had to validate the parking ticket on Hollywood Boulevard? Thanks so much for sharing it’s made my day seeing your report up x
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Great day! I just love that last photo 😍 I'm so looking forward to going to the observatory and hiking to the Hollywood sign!
Old 11 Jun 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
Another fantastic day, I am so looking forward to visiting these places. Can I ask how you knew that you had to validate the parking ticket on Hollywood Boulevard? Thanks so much for sharing it’s made my day seeing your report up x
Thank you for still being here with us

I think I either read about the parking validating on a trip report/Vlog? X
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
Great day! I just love that last photo 😍 I'm so looking forward to going to the observatory and hiking to the Hollywood sign!
Ahh thank you!

Have an amazing time there
Old 13 Jun 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Another brilliant day. Lovely photos as always. Enjoyed seeing the Hollywood sign & Griffiths Observatory from different perspectives. Looking forward to reading more.

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Some fantastic views and lots of walking. That dip in the pool looks well deserved.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

What a lot of walking you did today. Nice walk in the morning up to the Hollywood sign and some great pictures of you all in front of the sign as well. LA doesn't seem like the best place to get around by car, with the heavy traffic and difficulty parking.

It's a shame you didn't get the daylight pictures you wanted from the Griffith Observatory, but the after dark ones are stunning. LA looks amazing all lit up. It's good that the clouds broke for you and you were able to see Jupiter - lovely end to the day.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Another brilliant day. Lovely photos as always. Enjoyed seeing the Hollywood sign & Griffiths Observatory from different perspectives. Looking forward to reading more.

M x
It was another full day which we loved.

Thanks for still reading along x
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Waltdisnae View Post
Some fantastic views and lots of walking. That dip in the pool looks well deserved.
Yes we did do quite a bit of walking

Thank you it was very much needed!