Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Nov 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ve 2 teens, a girl of 14 and a boy who is nearly 13. We’ve done trips when they were 10 & 8, 12 & 10 and 13 & 11, out next trip will be when they’re 16 & 14.

They still enjoy Disney, mainly Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, but will come along to MK to feed my habit! We do stay on site for a few days, 5 days maximum. My dd will share with me and ds shares with his dad, it’s never an issue as we literally just pass out and sleep. Same if we stay onsite at universal.

Any other time is spent in a villa, going to the beach, shopping, Old Town (they love classic cars), eating, swimming, sleeping and just chilling by the pool. We try and make it as relaxed as possible and as varied. They do love the coasters at Sea World, but I don’t really go on anything, as medically I’m not allowed to do anything upside down, and we haven’t got round to Busch gardens yet - hoping to on the next trip.

Like you, WiFi is important, but most of all they like their own space and we tend to get out park days done at the beginning when we’re up early with jetlag and the rest of the time we don’t make any plans, just see what we fancy on the day.

They’re just as happy screaming on rides as they are floating in the pool, and that is ok with us!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

We were lucky enough to go most years since 2014 so my son was age 9-14.

If Money were no object I would definitely do Disney each year but since 2012 we simply didn't feel we were getting value from the passes as off site guests.

That and my son wanted to visit Sea World and Universal when asked.

So with only 14 nights including a beach stay we couldn't justify buying Disney and Universal tickets.

I still enjoy watching Disney park vlogs but when they are walking round MK I just don't get the buzz really although I have to say I really want to visit in Nov Dec to see the Christmas stuff now that really looks cool in the evening.

Old 22 Nov 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Mine preferred the Universal Parks, Seaworld and Busch Gardens once they reached teen years and didn’t care whether they visited Disney.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mango76
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I wouldn't cancel all plans for character meals, I'm 41 and still get excited to see Mickey (I'm sure I'm not the only grown up like this).

Our kids loved Universal - it is very teen friendly - but they are excited for Disney too, I don't think you can bear Flights of Passage, and they're excited about the Star Wars too.
We would still do 1 or 2 character meals I suspect as the boychild is still a big Donald fan (since he was 2 yrs old!) but previous plans involved about 6 character meals (dining plan) which just won’t be required plus we likely won’t stay onsite and the cost is hideous so it’ll be one or two just for fun.
Jul 2020(Thomas Cook), Jul 2020 (Covid19!)
Oct 2021 - fingers crossed!
Mango76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mango76
Apprentice Imagineer

Brilliant replies so far, really useful. We have never done Discovery Cove as my youngest was too young to do the swim on most of our trips so that’s a good thought. We did Seaworld in 2014 for 1 day but they obviously were too young for anything other than Shamus playground (or whatever that bit with kiddy rides was called). I want to see Toystory land and Pandora as both are new since our last trip. I was thinking if the world is back to normal the Halloween party might be enough at Mk.
Jul 2020(Thomas Cook), Jul 2020 (Covid19!)
Oct 2021 - fingers crossed!
Mango76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mango76 View Post
Brilliant replies so far, really useful. We have never done Discovery Cove as my youngest was too young to do the swim on most of our trips so that’s a good thought. We did Seaworld in 2014 for 1 day but they obviously were too young for anything other than Shamus playground (or whatever that bit with kiddy rides was called). I want to see Toystory land and Pandora as both are new since our last trip. I was thinking if the world is back to normal the Halloween party might be enough at Mk.
Last year we had a 4 day base ticket, did one day at AK, 2 at HS and booked the Halloween party for our MK day, and we have one day left which doesn't expire for another 10 years lol. We're not huge Epcot fans so wasn't bothered about missing it. The year before we had 14 day ultimate's, and even then we only visited MK once (twice if you count MNSSHP) Epcot once, HS twice and AK twice, didn't do either waterpark as the kids prefer Volcano Bay. That made us decide that we wouldn't buy 14 day tickets again. We just didn't make the most of them.

In 2022, we will probably get a 2 day ticket, plus the one day we have left from last year and MNSSHP, that will be enough, plus visit DS a few times.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

We went in February as our first ever trip - we had a 12 year old and a 15 year old and they’re both thrill seekers. They’re also Harry Potter and Star Wars fans.
We did all of the Disney parks but found MK especially a bit young and tame. But there will be Tron by then which looked amazing when we were there!
We did four days Universal (a LOT of time in HP!) and a day in each Disney park and a split park day. The kids chose to go back to Universal on our last day they loved it that much!
I asked dd (the 12 year old) where she’d recommend. She said definitely Universal, then Hollywood Studios for Star Wars and Animal Kingdom for Pandora. She said unless you’re into your food and there’s a festival on - don’t bother with Epcot. She did say obviously you have to do MK, because it’s MK! I would add Busch Gardens - we didn’t go there as we had too full a schedule, but we would do there if we went again.
I would also recommend chatting to the teenagers. They will have some ideas of where they want to go and can do some research into rides and so on to determine parks.
Enjoy
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

To me the age is irrelevant and more down to the personal preference of the individuals involved. Reason why it is crucial to involve your children in any decision making process.

My eldest is 11 and my youngest is 7 and both preferred Universal and Busch Gardens to Disney. Having said that they had been to Disneyland Paris three times prior to going last year and for kids at that age..Disney is Disney wherever it is.

Our next Orlando trip, we will only have one day at Epcot as that is mine and the wife's favourite and the rest of our time will be at Uni or SW parks.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

Surfing at typhoon lagoon! That was also the age where we allowed the boys to separate from us within the same park - we let them go on non fastpass rides alone and ask the to meet us somewhere nearby. In this day and age of mobile technology if they couldn't find us we were a phone call away - never happened though they did phone to say they got into another line so would be a bit longer. That little bit of independence made doing family things even better.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I can base this on my 1st trip in 1993 when I was 12. I really enjoyed the space centre. Epcot was my favourite park and still is today and I really loved US when it was all about been part of the movies. I still feel the magic kingdom park is more geared towards younger kids and girls.
I hated the early get up’s and the queuing but there was no options back then but in the 90s attractions last longer.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List