Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lesley Cassidy
Very Serious Dibber

We are just going through this with my husband's auntie as we were given 24/48 hours to live and she died on My dd birthday you can go on the government website and they will notify all the relevant authorities. We were lucky that she had organised her own funeral and knew where her will is. Like other people have said make sure they have a notepad and make a list of everything that your cousins can think of know matter how much they might think it's not relevant
Lesley Cassidy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Thinking of you all.

When my Dad died almost a year ago. When we went to register his death they gave us lots of info in with the certificates folder.
There is a number, postal address or email or something that is a one for all. You give the asked details & possibly a copy of the death cert & they contact all the relevant organisations in one swoop. They will state which ones these are or you say, cant remember which. Lots of advice from the undertakers as well.
Old 28 Nov 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Planty
Getting Excited

So sorry to hear you and your family are going through such sad times.

I lost my Dad at the end of last year and lost my Mum just over a week ago. I had just finished sorting out my Dads finances and now need to start on my Mums.

The Dougie Mac were brilliant and we also had regular visits from the District Nurses who made everything so easy for us.

Like others have said your cousins need to make sure they know where the latest copy of the will is and who the executors are.

I was lucky that when Mum passed she was at home and we just had to all the District Nurse who came out and registered the death. I took a copy of the paperwork to the doctors, who called the Registrar who then went over everything over the phone to register the death and also completed the Tell Us Once service. They then popped the copies of the death cert in the post.

Besides all the obvious finances make sure if there is nobody else in the property that they contact the company who the house insurance is with to change over the name on the policy if necessary.

If Grant of Probate is needed this can be done by a solicitor or they can do it themselves on-line through the Government website. Not sure how easy it is to do it but I will be looking into this as it cost me a fortune last time using the solicitor.

Check that they know where the deeds to the property are.

Hope this is of some help.
Planty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Hi all,

Long story short, my aunt has went from a "we found a lump, we think it's cancer" in September to she's got weeks to live.
We're just in a total state of shock.

This is so morbid, I know but does any one have like a kind of checklist that my cousins could use for the awful practical stuff they will need to take care of? Bank accounts, insurance etc

I don't have a clue where to begin and this is completely out of the blue. Nearly 20 years ago when my gran died, she had enough notice that she was able to sort out pretty much everything for my grandad.

There's nothing we can do or say for them but if this helps. I don't know

Thanks in advance,

K
We received about a months notice of my sister’s condition before she passed away in August.

My advice would be to not worry about any of that practical stuff for now, it will keep. For now I would recommend they just focus on spending time with their mother.

I didn’t even think about getting a copy of my sister’s will during those last weeks. I had a feeling I was executor but had no idea where it was. Afterwards I got onto google to identify solicitors in the area and sat down one afternoon to start a ring round. For some reason I decided to call the third one on my list first and they confirmed they had it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thank you all again, so much. Totally appreciate what you're saying Claudette, I figured I'd ask around so that they can do exactly this. We're not going to get to see her (she lives in a different city). My cousins both have young families so I can just see the next while being spending as much time as possible with her.
Her mind is still right, so I'm guessing she will go into Mum mode and let them know of all bank accounts etc.

It's just all so bleeding unfair. I heard my dad on the phone to her yesterday, calling her by a nickname she hates to wind her up so she's laughing. Trying to keep her spirits up and then coming off the phone, and then visibly deflating. I understand that death is a part of living but god it's awful.

My condolences to you all who have lost people you love. Stay safe x
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

Due to COVID, you don’t go to the office to register the death, it’s all done over the phone now, then they will post you the death certificate, or you can collect from the office. We collected mums from the office (a security man stood outside took your details, popped back inside and collected the envelope with the certificates in)
To begin with, banks don’t need to see the death certificate to freeze the accounts.
When the time comes, a booklet is given to the family with the “checklist” in.

Edited at 10:53 PM.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List