Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 6 Aug 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile Hilton head island

Hi all, a bit of a strange query. Am really interested in going to Hilton head resort next year, but as a mixed race, very liberally minded family would we find it a bit too trump far right/religious or is it touristy enough to be away from that.
It does look lovely but I just have a couple of doubts because of the surrounding states.
We’re not outspoken about our views by any means but do get annoyed if I have to constantly be listening to views that are the polar opposite
Jasonharry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

No you certainly wouldn't find it like that, it's quite a sophisticated and classy island.

I've been all over the Southern States and you don't generally get rootin tootin rednecks extolling the virtues of the right wherever you go. In fact I'm struggling to think of an occasion where I've heard people expressing political views to me as a stranger.

Edited at 07:12 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks, we’ve had random hostile incidents in both Las Vegas and New Orleans.
Not meaning any offence and making an assumption that you are of an obvious race that wouldn’t make you such a target of any such thing.
Jasonharry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jasonharry View Post
Thanks, we’ve had random hostile incidents in both Las Vegas and New Orleans.
Not meaning any offence and making an assumption that you are of an obvious race that wouldn’t make you such a target of any such thing.
OK but your question wasn't around being targetted by racists, it was around you not wanting to be hearing Trump and right wing views or religious views as you have very liberal views? That's how I read it anyway. In fact, that's how it reads.
Sorry to read you have come into contact with racists- disgraceful.

Edited at 11:54 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi all, a bit of a strange query. Am really interested in going to Hilton head resort next year, but as a mixed race, very liberally minded family would we find it a bit too trump far right/religious or is it touristy enough to be away from that.
It does look lovely but I just have a couple of doubts because of the surrounding states.
We’re not outspoken about our views by any means but do get annoyed if I have to constantly be listening to views that are the polar opposite
Not sure about your concerns completely however if it helps we have visited Georgia and the Carolinas as well as a great deal of the rest of the USA. The only place we have experienced what you refer to as Trump supporter comments was in New York. Hilton Head is a very cosmopolitan resort and you should have a great time.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I guess I didn’t explain myself completely, but in these times it’s all inter connected and people often feel a little more free to say things they couldn’t have said before.
I guess what I meant to ask is if it’s quite a cosmopolitan place where everyone is welcome and it doesn’t really matter who you are which it seems by comments it is.
As an aside both our incidents came not from redneck types but from religious African american types, sadly one of them a young lady.
Love the bubble of Disney where none of this nonsense matters and hoping the same for Hilton head, thanks for responses
Old 7 Aug 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I guess I didn’t explain myself completely, but in these times it’s all inter connected and people often feel a little more free to say things they couldn’t have said before.
I guess what I meant to ask is if it’s quite a cosmopolitan place where everyone is welcome and it doesn’t really matter who you are which it seems by comments it is.
As an aside both our incidents came not from redneck types but from religious African american types, sadly one of them a young lady.
Love the bubble of Disney where none of this nonsense matters and hoping the same for Hilton head, thanks for responses
Yep HHI is an upmarket and cosmopolitan type area. Charleston also v upmarket.