Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 30 Apr 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Cheap-Cheap Chicken

Calling Dieters, Body Builders and Chicken Lovers.

Thought I would share this for anyone in the same boat. We have Disney World in 6 months and are therefore looking to loose a fair few Kgs in order to put every last one back on during the holiday. We were looking around for lowest price chicken breasts (because we are also saving the pennies for said holiday) and came across, what MuscleFood are calling, Beautifully Wonky Chicken Breasts. These were sold at £9 for 2.5kgs. Well we thought this was a great price as £5 per Kg is the best you can usually find online or in supermarkets (without going frozen) and we were generally happy to receive the breasts in any state really as we will be slicing and dicing them into all sorts of shapes anyway. Overall we bought 10kgs of these 'chicken mishapes' at £36 + delivery of £4.99 = £40.99.

So... fast forward to today. Chicken arrived. I unpacked it only to find 10kgs of the biggest breasts I had ever seen (chuckle). Most were over 250g each and looked great. I could not see how these could be considered wonky in any way!

So basically, loads of massive chicken breasts for £4 per kg (£3.60 if you spend £70 and get free delivery).

Can't beat it.
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

It's because they're too big to fit in the packs for the supermarket shelves. Meat is produced to a very specific size now, anything outside of this ridiculous specification is much cheaper (and then called wonky which really annoys me). It's all fresh food though, not just meat.

Where is it produced? (just being nosy)
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Lumiere
Trying for More Ears

I've been using MuscleFood for a few years now, their chicken has always been better than most supermarkets, and a fraction of the price - when it arrives we just bag them up in pairs and freeze.
They do some great bundles as well, we get a few a year to fill up the freezer!
Lumiere is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Where are they sourced?
Old 4 May 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Where are they sourced?
"Our popular chicken comes from several farms across the EU, including Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain and Lithuania."
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Wondering just exactly where the rest comes from if those are only the countries that they will admit to using? But hey, it's cheap ...
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

I will go without chicken rather than eat cheap chicken that's imported into the uk.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
"Our popular chicken comes from several farms across the EU, including Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain and Lithuania."
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I will go without chicken rather than eat cheap chicken that's imported into the uk.
^^^
this
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Wondering just exactly where the rest comes from if those are only the countries that they will admit to using? But hey, it's cheap ...
Cheap chicken normally comes from Brazil - frozen.

UK supermarkets and even fast food outlets such as McDonalds will only use British chicken.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List