Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by 4fromsuffolk View Post
It’s an exciting time. We’ve always had ours from 8 weeks old - I know breeders sometimes want them to go later - they change so quickly! Enjoy xx
Thankyou . I’m excited but very anxious 😅 x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It will be fine. You can always ask on here for advice if you need it there are lots of dog owners with great advice to give. Your vet will be helpful too I’m sure 🐶
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Frenchie are amazing not a breed I'd have bough but she was a gift from my sons
We've now got 5 in the family
All been easy to train and all very different in their ways all but one of ours will walk for miles just watch him in the heat they can overheat very quickly
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

I have had dogs all my life numerous puppies and rescue dogs . I now have 2 rescued ex-breeders from puppy farming. The idea of keeping a dog in a cage for x.no. of hours is an absolute no no for me, and not something I would ever ever use or do. However, it seems that crate/cage training is the 'in' thing to try and stop 'accidents' in the home. Keeping puppies in one room only, constantly taking them out after play, eating etc. so that they get used to using the garden for their toilet training works. Putting paper or pads by the door in which you are training them to use to go out for a wee works as well. Tried and tested for many years on all the wonderful dogs that have been in my life.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
I have had dogs all my life numerous puppies and rescue dogs . I now have 2 rescued ex-breeders from puppy farming. The idea of keeping a dog in a cage for x.no. of hours is an absolute no no for me, and not something I would ever ever use or do. However, it seems that crate/cage training is the 'in' thing to try and stop 'accidents' in the home. Keeping puppies in one room only, constantly taking them out after play, eating etc. so that they get used to using the garden for their toilet training works. Putting paper or pads by the door in which you are training them to use to go out for a wee works as well. Tried and tested for many years on all the wonderful dogs that have been in my life.
Would never leave him locked in a crate .
I work from home so around all day and when he does have to be left we have put gates up so he’s in a safe area
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Frenchie are amazing not a breed I'd have bough but she was a gift from my sons
We've now got 5 in the family
All been easy to train and all very different in their ways all but one of ours will walk for miles just watch him in the heat they can overheat very quickly
Yes the breeder said this too, one of hers loves a long walk ! Will definitely be careful with the overheating
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

FizzyWhip, I also use gates which keep mine in my kitchen when I'm out. My latest rescue, she's a golden retriever and ex-breeders are always confined, (kennels etc) in the most horrible conditions and house training takes a little longer, but after 3 months we are almost there. So even in older dogs, it still works and with no crates/cages.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
FizzyWhip, I also use gates which keep mine in my kitchen when I'm out. My latest rescue, she's a golden retriever and ex-breeders are always confined, (kennels etc) in the most horrible conditions and house training takes a little longer, but after 3 months we are almost there. So even in older dogs, it still works and with no crates/cages.
Blimey - I didn't even know Goldens ended up in rescue centres x Such beautiful dogs.. I might have to google. I work from home and would love a dog so we could keep each other company.
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Bridget it amaze you how many dogs of all breeds end up in rescue
As I found out when I did Weimaraner rescue
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

We put an old jumper which one of us had be wearing for a bit, to have our scent on for the night times. Also a wee soft toy thing that had a heart beat in it that went in at night time too. Cried a wee bit during the night, but did not take long for her to settle.
We also used crates, covered them up, since then our westie loves being under blankets, and you would not know he’s there.

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List