Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Perhaps the missing crew couldn’t get there due to the thunderstorms.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm pretty sure that as you arrived into the US on time on an EU airline that there is no compensation here (at least not EU211 or whatever)

The flight that was delayed was between to US cities in American tin, which the EU has no jurisdiction over.

The fact it was a connecting flight might have some bearing but I don't think it does
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Perhaps the missing crew couldn’t get there due to the thunderstorms.
If all other criteria was met though, this wouldn't be enough of a reason to deny compensation - the airline should have arranged for cover to be in the airport as soon as they knew of the difficult situation. Staffing is almost always "under the control" of the airline as far as the EU regulations are concerned
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks everyone I’ll give it a go when we get home! Don’t try you don’t get 😁
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

What do you want compensation for? What financial loss did you incur?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
What do you want compensation for? What financial loss did you incur?
Not all compensation in regard to flights is recoup financial losses.

I believe in this case there is no compensation under the EU261 flight compensation regulation as its an internal connection.
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi everyone

I think you will find as per my post No 10 above that as the link in my post No 10 say's :

"Legislation for compensation rules in EU Regulation 261/2004 has been clarified for passengers having transfer flights outside of the EU. Previously compensation would only be awarded to passengers dealing with missed connections in the EU, but the European Court of Justice has ruled that passengers of problem flights outside of the EU, part of journey that commenced in the EU, are entitled to compensation for arrival delays of three hours or more. "

The link goes on to explain further. So I think it is at least worth checking out.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have tried Resolver in the past. Been very helpful with delayed indirects.
Old 21 Jul 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

If you booked through Virgin Atlantic, I would definitely fill in the compensation form on their website. Albeit a direct flight, we landed 3hrs 17 mins late into MCO and got £267 each. (Would have been more for over 4 hrs). Filled in the form on a Monday night, had an email of confirmation on Tuesday lunchtime and the money in my account about a week later. As you say - if you don't try, you don't get!
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

OP. I have just come across your post when searching for a similar query. In fact reading your original post we actually travelled the same date and had the same issue!

We left MAN on 18/7/19 travelling on the VS to JFK. Virgin were fab and we actually arrived 1 hour early. While waiting for this flight I received a text from Virgin to say there was a delay of 2hrs 45m on our Delta connection from JFK to MCO. Although not great this didn’t worry us at first as we had less than a 3hr connection so took it as a bonus not to rush 🤔

Fast forward landing in JFK. Delta staff grab out bags and told us the delay had lengthen a further 2 hours. 😳

Trying to get information from Delta after this was shocking! One staff member advised us there had been a huge delay across the board due to a severe storm the day before and the airline was playing catch up on 700 flights. I’m assuming this was what impacted your internal flight?

To cut a long story short the delay kept getting longer and longer. Contributed by no ground staff able to move one aircraft off stand to allow our plane on! Then a further delay when the awaiting crew went out of hours for our flight and a new crew needed to be found! 😡😡. Total shambles. Delta ground staff couldn’t care less.

We eventually took off at 3am, 7 hours after our original departure time! By the time we checked in to our Disney hotel it was 6am on the 19th July when we should have checked in on 18th July at 10pm! Effectively lost a nights stay which had been paid for. Fast passes booked from 11am so we had 1hr 40m sleep, got changed and actually managed rope drop. We were only in Disney 3 days so couldn’t afford to lose further time or park ticket money.

I have also been wondering where we stand on this due to the fact it was a US airline departing a US airport? My wonder is as we booked a through ticket with Virgin on a codeshare, is there a valid claim?

Any advice from any fellow dibbers or if OP has had any joy yet would be greatly appreciated 👍🏼
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List