Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Aug 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink Tina
slightly serious Dibber

It’s very strange that they won’t unlock the phone!

I have a contract with Tesco who didn’t cover USA so just got a 3 sim for holiday but Tesco unlocked the phone so I could use it.
Old 26 Aug 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks guys.

It looks like I’ve a couple of options - either the agent misinformed me about unlocking my phone so I could get a 3 SIM card (which is looking highly likely!), or I can switch our contracts to a new supplier.

To be honest, the latter is what I’ll probably end up doing once I’m back from holiday. I’ve got so much to do before we go, and very little time to do it, that I don’t have the extra time to search for what phone I want (still hadn’t decided to be honest), which package was best etc.

I’ll try again today to get the phone unlocked!

Failing that I can either buy a super cheap phone from Best Buy if I end up near one, or my friend had told me last night that she still has her old phone as she had also just upgraded. I think there are a few problems with the phone itself, but provided it’s unlocked it will work as a giant iPad and she says I can borrow it.

Well get there in the end!

Thanks so much for all the help and advice

Gill
Old 26 Aug 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I too am with 02 but not on a high enough contract to get the free roaming so use that £5 per day charge but I’ve found often the signal is dire. 3G at best and couldn’t even order food at MK with it.
After your post I’m investigating buying a US phone as I visit frequently and a US sim but I don’t want a monthly contract.
Any advice gratefully received!
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve just spoken to O2 and refreshed my contract for an extra £10 per month as I was told that USA would be 4G now I find out that it’s mostly 3G so I’m really not happy with that as I’ve used that before on their £5 per day plan and it’s been useless!
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Not sure if you got sorted but I have just changed my Tarriff to include data useage in USA. My contract is due for renewal in 8 months time and my new tarriff is £2 dearer per month so in total I will be paying £16 to get my free data useage. Can you look at increasing your tarriff and then cancelling your contract when you get back?
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Hi Lell

Thanks for your message.

I’ll be honest, they never offered that and we’re quite strict on what they did offer.

I think I’ve found a workaround for now, with a Three SIM card and a borrowed unlocked phone.

I’ll take out a new contract with someone else once I get back. Shame really, I’ve been with O2 for around 20 years (in their various guises)
Old 30 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I'm with Vodafone (I know that doesn't help in this case) and they are very good about letting you have the unlock code for the handset providing (from memory) you have had it at least 3 months and haven't asked for too many unlock codes.

With them I was able to do it all online. Fill in a form and they emailed the code so I was able to take my 4 month old Samsung S10+ to FL with a 3 sim card in it.

Shame O2 aren't as useful - I'm sure you could get an unlock code from somewhere but it would probably cost you £10 ish
Old 30 Aug 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

In the past nearly all phones on a contract with O2 were unlocked, not sure if telefonica changed this? I personally dont use online chat to most companies, I would rather speak to them, or even call into a shop and talk face to face.
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I'm with Vodafone (I know that doesn't help in this case) and they are very good about letting you have the unlock code for the handset providing (from memory) you have had it at least 3 months and haven't asked for too many unlock codes.

With them I was able to do it all online. Fill in a form and they emailed the code so I was able to take my 4 month old Samsung S10+ to FL with a 3 sim card in it.

Shame O2 aren't as useful - I'm sure you could get an unlock code from somewhere but it would probably cost you £10 ish
Hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread OP. Asking BerkshireBugsy a couple of questions.
Hubby just got an S10+ (swapped over from Sony to Samsung) and, as you're probably an expert by now lol does he just place the new 3 sim for USA alongside the one already installed or does he have to remove the existing one?
Also will he have to get the S10+ unlocked to place the 3 sim and is there an activation procedure with 3 sim?
He's with 02 btw
Thanks in advance for any info you can share
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List