Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Aug 19, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Calling DVC Members: Please explain how it works

I spoke to a DVC guy this evening and it sounds a better deal than I was expecting (or at least more affordable).

The way I understand it is we would pay an amount in dollars monthly for 10 years and that gives you 100 points/ year for 50 years. On top of that there is an annual fee - how much is that, does it go up a lot each year?

Do you find you get a good choice of accommodation? If you go for a 2 bed place, how many nights does 100 points generally get you (I assume 5-6 rather than 8-9)? He said we could will the deed to children.

Can you sell points to friends/ family if you wanted a couple of years off?

Basically, is it good value? How do you think it compares to a villa? We're really looking because next time we come the kids will need their own room so hotel costs will double anyway.
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
patpluto
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Depending on your home resort, room location and the time of year you visit will vary the nightly points required. 100 points will give you 2-3 nights a year if you plan to go every year or alternatively you can bank/borrow to give you more nights if going less frequent.
Have you considered buying through a dvc resale company? Using one of the resale company will cost less or more points for the money but you lose buying direct benefits.
Please don’t go by what the dvc rep says take your time and do your own research to make an informed decision.
patpluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks

This is the first we'd ever thought of it. I knew it wouldn't be as clear cut as we'd been told.

Reading some of the DVC threads, it does seem like is a system that doesn't benefit those who need to come in school holidays as much. I know we wouldn't want to come to Florida every year.

I hadn't heard of resale until last night. I suppose how much people have paid isn't the kind of thing that people want to discuss. We were told $18800 over 10 years yesterday. Plus the annual fee
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A quick average

Studio - 15 points a night
1 Bed - 30 points a night
2 Bed - 40 points a night
3 bed - 80 points a night

School holiday periods are very points heavy.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
zavandor
Earning More Ears

You can easily calculate how many points are needed for different room sizes, resorts and season with a point calculator like this one:
dvcrequest/cost-calculator.asp
(click on show point amount)

DVC offers you the chance to prepay for your future vacations and get a discount. But if you finance at the horrible rates Disney offers you, the interests will eat away all your savings. Basically, for the first 10 years you wouldn't save a penny.
DVC can actually be a good deal but:
- do not finance, unless you expect to repay it withins a very short amount of time
- buy a resale contract, not direct
- and above all, do not buy Riviera. DVC has introduced heavy resale restrictions which may cause a collapse in pricing if you ever want or need to sell
- if you're happy with moderates and value DVC won't save money, but it can be a way to upgrade your accommodation to deluxe level
- you need to be able to book at least 7 months in advance, even better 11 months in advance during DVC busiest period: between the end of September and Marathon week end in January

Edited at 03:00 PM.
zavandor is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

I would suggest renting points before making a decision to spend (especially if you plan to finance the deal) . That way you'll get a feel of what to expect in a DVC villa.
Have a look at what David's Vacation Club Rentals offers dvcrequest/default.asp
Also check out the resale sites - not sure which site this allows so just Google DVC Resales - there's a huge difference in price per point to buying direct.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but please please do your research before making such a huge commitment.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I know when you write $18880 over 10 years it doesn't sound a lot but that's £16k plus interest plus dues! 100 points will maybe get you 6 nights in a 2 bed every 2 years, a 2 bed at AK renting the points is approx £2000 so 9.5 holidays or 18 years but that's only to get back your £16k you've still got to get back your interest & dues.
Personally I wouldn't buy until the exchange rate improves, I also wouldn't buy at Riveria, the resort hasn't even opened yet & someone posted a contract where the points had dropped 50% in value! The statistics are that most owners sell after 15 years & that's a big hit.
It's also worth considering, if you are "only" staying for 6 nights in your DVC, where are you staying for the rest of your holiday? These are costs that you generally don't consider, likewise passes,flights, spending money etc By the way it's very easy to sign up when you have your Disney glasses on, if you are financing then you have to do it there but I recommend that you look at Resale & if you have to finance then do it with a UK loan

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone so far. Renting points for our next trip sounds like a great plan to try it out. Is that the best/ only way to get into DVC accommodation?
Old 13 Aug 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Sometimes OKW & SSR are included in the dining deals, every DVC resort has cash inventory at around 5% - some rule that they have to have it- but you don't tend to see this on Studios but maybe on larger accommodation BUT these are generally at full rack rate so renting is by far the cheaper option.
TBH a trial run really isn't to see if DVC suits, as there's not much to "not suit" IYKWIM - it's a Hotel with a pool More to see where you should buy at. On that subject, if you do buy Resale then you are "restricted" to the Original 14 but that means , at present, that you can't stay at Riveria for instance. The reason most are "shying" away from Direct at Riveria, is the new rules/restrictions, basically if you buy Direct & then decide to sell, then whomever buys your contract is restricted to Riveria & also the reason that they de-value so quick. Many a thought that this allows Disney a win-win as they re-cycle your contract & re-sell at full price. This is an important note Disney do not buy back your contract, they have what's known as ROFR- Right of first Refusal- so any contract being sold, they get first Dibbs on it, at the price you have agreed with any buyer, you can't just sell it to anyone , this also allows them to manipulate the market.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
It's a huge decision,most fall under the spell! We've owned for 11 years & even I nearly "fell for it" when we went to one of their meetings, as we were thinking of adding on but that is shelved until FX rate improves. They are very good at making you feel/think that you are part of some big special club but really once you have bought... It's great when you read of people getting free upgrades etc (cash bookings) knowing that pigs will fly backwards before you see one!
For us it's great that we know our accommodation is taken care of but we still have to "find" the money for flights, passes etc
Also don't be taken in by the Perks for Direct, the one good one was the AP discount but since massive increases, where before 2 holidays was the "sweet spot", it's now 3 holidays as you are near enough cheaper with 2 Ultimates.
I know I sound like I have a "downer" on DVC when in fact we love it but we bought 175 points at $67.50, I think £8900 but today those same points would cost me (Resale) +£16k or £23k(Direct) & I don't think that it's worth that but we were never "onsiters" before.
SD