Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
jpgreagsby
Proud to wear my Ears

West Coast tips

Hi, we are looking at something different to Florida next year and really fancy a West Coast trip.
We are 2Ad 2ch, and would like to do California Disney and Universal, after some advice please as to how long we should plan for each park, and then if it is a 14 night holiday, what else we can do on the trip ?

Thank you Dibbers
jpgreagsby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We did California in 14 days last Easter, San Francisco, Monterey, Madonna Inn, Valencia, Anaheim, San Diego, Long beach and home from LAX. It worked like a dream.
You can view it on my thread ‘California N to South at Easter’. (All in the one thread and thus a straightforward read).

The best thing that I can say is to read some trippies and form a plan for what you think will work. We were California Virgins when we planned ours and relied exclusively on DIBB advice as we formulated our cunning plan. The DIBB was incredibly helpful.

I then submitted my plan as a thread and took on board both advice and criticism given, revising accordingly.

I then booked my flights and planned the rest within those set parameters, buying things as and when I had a cash surplus.

It is important to differentiate between a West Coast vacation and an LA one as you have only mentioned LA. Highlights for us in our North to South were everything but the Anaheim bit, for reasons detailed in the trip report.

It is when you have a more detailed idea of what you want and then publish it that the good advice of DIBBERS will start flooding in.

California N to South is by far my best USA vacation of 10 to date, including my latest East Coast one. It is simple to plan and amazing to execute with our boys, then 14 and 11. IMHO you will not regret making this decision.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
jpgreagsby
Proud to wear my Ears

This is excellent, thanks o much, I’ll get reading !
jpgreagsby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Ive been going to Disneyland every year for the last 10 years.
You need to do separate locations for
  1. California National Parks / Pacific Coast Highway etc
  2. LA / Hollywood / Universal Studios
  3. Disneyland
  4. San Diago / Seaworld / Legoland

For Disneyland
  • 4 days, either park hopping or 1 day per park would be amazing
  • 3 days either park hopping or 1 day per park is great
  • 2 days either park hopping or 1 day per park is ok but a bit rushed
  • 1 day park hopping is do able but chaotic and you just get the highlights
  1. Buy tickets through last minute travel company, an authorised reseller. I usually save $50 compared to Disney website or at the gate
  2. Stay offsite at one of the many hotels / motels on Harbour Boulevard, shorter walk to entrance than onsite hotels and half or more than half the price per night than onsite hotels
  3. Park hopping is very easy, both parks and Downtown Disney are inside the one security check. The two parks are across a plaza / esplanade
  4. When you buy a 3 day or longer ticket in advance you get access to early opening at Disneyland Main Park on one of your days
  5. Maxpass is the paid for digital Fastpass system on your phone through the Disneyland App. However park Wifi is very paid, you will need data for Maxpass. The free Fastpass system is still available
  6. Fastpass either through the paid Maxpass system or from the kiosks is one the day only.
  7. Dining Reservations open 60 days in advance.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
jpgreagsby
Proud to wear my Ears

Excellent, thanks for this. What ar the general views on hotels vs Airbnb’s/rentals etc?
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jpgreagsby View Post
Excellent, thanks for this. What ar the general views on hotels vs Airbnb’s/rentals etc?
I have stayed in the following
  1. Backbackers hostel in Santa Monica
  2. Comfort Inn near LAX airport
  3. Comfort Inn Santa Monica
  4. Santa Monica Motel
  5. Kawada Hotel in Downtown LA
  6. Milner Hotel (now closed and reopening as The Wayfarer Downtown Los Angeles in October 2019)
  7. AirBnB South Pasadena
  8. AirbnB in Hollywood near Hollywood and Vine Metro station
  9. Travelodge in Hollywood near Vermont and Sunset Metro Station

For me location and then budget are my most important factors. I dont drive so all the places I have stayed are are near or beside either an underground station or a bus stop.

My budget is usually around $130 or less per night.

I usually book my accommodation around 6 to 8 months in advance.

The backpackers hostel I would recommend for anyone in that budget range, very clean, very safe and great location

The 2 AirBnBs I have stayed at were excellent both location and hosts/ place and I would recommend both to anyone. Both of them were superhosts, and both places were self contained apartments used only for AirBnB guests. Both places however did not have parking, which was not an issue for me as I dont drive. The Hollywood one would be suitable for 2 people max and the South Pasadena one would be suitable for 4 people max, 2 double sofa beds, very comfortable

Disneyland / Anaheim
For Disney I have stayed at Motel 6 Maingate and Desert Inn and Suites on Harbour Boulevard, opposite the pedestrian entrance to Disneyland.
Again budget and location are my main factors, same budget $130 or less per night.
Motel 6 I use ART shuttle bus to and from Disneyland, approx 10 minutes travel time. It is walkable BUT after 14 hours and approx 8 to 10 miles walking in Disneyland, my feet have enough

For Disneyland it depends on what you require from accommodation. I just need a bed, a shower and somewhere to store my stuff. I breakfast on the go when I get to Disney. I'm solo and dont use the pools.

There are 3 onsite Disney hotels which are premium / deluxe and prices start at about $600 per night.

Edited at 11:19 AM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We had an Airbnb in Anaheim. We found on arrival that this one (and many, many others) are prohibited from short term (ie Airbnb ) type lets (in the report). We were told that if confronted, we were to claim that we were ‘friends’ and that we were staying for free. As we were in the courtyard at the time, we had little choice. Be wary !

We had an Airbnb in San Diego. We picked the wrong area (Mission Beach) and it was in any case shabby.

Over the years, we have had great properties from Airbnb and also Holidaylettings.co.uk (in other words, Tripadvisor). That can only be down to your choice.. and adequate research before booking.

I am neither for or against. It is worth remembering that on a California Road trip, Airbnb’s might not want you for 1 and 2 night stopovers. That can force your hand.

Also bear in mind that if you are used to Orlando, you have been (other than the Mouse), renting some of the best value accommodation in the States, possibly due to huge oversupply in the area. The rest of the State and certainly elsewhere, are nowhere near as cheap. It is wise to get a feel for prices before committing to anything. Expedia, Booking.com etc are good places to start.

The good news is that you will save plenty on flights. I am flying in to San Francisco next School Easter hols and out of Vancouver. Those direct flights with BA from LHR were Ł395pp.

We do not yet know where you intend visiting, but I would target the following for family type Hotel rooms.

If SFO, then you will be paying Ł200 plus a night to be within half a mile of Fisherman’s Wharf. Avoid the Tenderloin area! We are using the Columbus Motor Inn next Easter. Looks good and DIBBERS rate it . Ł200 per night for a 2 bedroom suite.

Monterey Ł220 plus to be near Cannery Row.

Halfway house between SFO and LA we would only consider the fabulous Madonna Inn. Just sub Ł200 and a bargain.

Annahein. I would take the advice of others. I am not a Disney fan, wont be returning and my only experience is the Airbnb.

San Diego. I would talk with ‘Aims’, who has a ‘stickie’ on the California section. She is brilliant and responds promptly.

Long beach. Got to be RMS Queen Mary. Around Ł187. An amazing experience.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:24 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We had an Airbnb in Anaheim. We found on arrival that this one (and many, many others) are prohibited from short term (ie Airbnb ) type lets (in the report). We were told that if confronted, we were to claim that we were ‘friends’ and that we were staying for free. As we were in the courtyard at the time, we had little choice. Be wary !
This is why research is very important, the city of Anaheim has banned almost all sort term lets such as AirBnB. You were lucky, I have heard stories of people turning up to a short term let in Anaheim and not having a place to stay.

For AirBnB my conditions are
  1. The area / city / town has not banned or restricted AirBnB
  2. The host must be a superhost
  3. The place must be a self contained apartment
  4. I will not room share with strangers
  5. The place needs to be for AirBnB guests only, I will not stay in a place where someone lives
  6. It needs to be in a good area
  7. It needs to be close to public transport and other amenities
  8. There needs to be multiple recent reviews which are 5 stars.
  9. There needs to be air conditioning and smoke free
  10. The host needs to be communicative in the weeks and months before arrival
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

How old are the children? If sub teen then I would stick to SoCal for a first 14 day trip.

Do the parks and essential sites in LA and then spend some time in San Diego where there are more parks (Sea World, Lego Land, Zoo etc) and plenty of other things for them to do and it is a nice relaxing city.

Teens and up then the north to South trip is really worthwhile considering.

Universal is a 1 day park in LA, Disney would depend on the ages again, 2-3 days with teens will see you do all they will want to. 3-4 days with younger or a mix of ages. You could do it in 2 days easily but 3 is an easy pace as they aren't that big and are right opposite each other.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
How old are the children? If sub teen then I would stick to SoCal for a first 14 day trip.

Do the parks and essential sites in LA and then spend some time in San Diego where there are more parks (Sea World, Lego Land, Zoo etc) and plenty of other things for them to do and it is a nice relaxing city.

Teens and up then the north to South trip is really worthwhile considering.

Universal is a 1 day park in LA, Disney would depend on the ages again, 2-3 days with teens will see you do all they will want to. 3-4 days with younger or a mix of ages. You could do it in 2 days easily but 3 is an easy pace as they aren't that big and are right opposite each other.
That looks very good advice. Mine were older and that is probably why our own vacation worked so well for us.