Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Mar 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

not at all we fly into mco id use mears from sandford then uber every where from idrive so cheap so quik
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Do you need a car, probably not. It's your decision as to whether you want a car. I tried using the available transport and it just got frustrating as I always seemed to have a long wait with no seating when my feet were killing me after walking round the parks.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

Definitely doable without a car. We are family of 5 and XL Lyfts were plentiful.
Flew into MCO so had magical express, and prebooked transfers between Disney and universal hotels and to the airport. Used LYft for shopping, waterparks, doctors. Husband hired a car for the day from the universal hotel to drive to Tampa for baseball for about £40 I think.
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sanmiguel
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Thanks all , I think my mind is made up and we will go without a car .
I never thought of Uber from Sanford (it would have to be Uber XL with the suitcases) but I’ve used Mears before and they were fine.
The last time I hired a car we used it for the malls and for Universal when we stayed at the Swan but if I’m honest we probably didn’t use it most of the time. Coupled with parking fees and the availability of Uber/ Lyft I think it’s car free for me.
Sanmiguel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Beddy666
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sanmiguel View Post
Thanks all , I think my mind is made up and we will go without a car .
I never thought of Uber from Sanford (it would have to be Uber XL with the suitcases) but I’ve used Mears before and they were fine.
The last time I hired a car we used it for the malls and for Universal when we stayed at the Swan but if I’m honest we probably didn’t use it most of the time. Coupled with parking fees and the availability of Uber/ Lyft I think it’s car free for me.
I ride up and down international drive. We’ve used that over the last 16 years of Trips. Absolutely brilliant.
Plus Uber and cabs no need for a car.
Beddy666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsgiggs
VIP Dibber

I would hire 1 way car hires just for the airport runs. Drop family off at hrh then take car back to sheraton on I drive and walk back or uber. Pick up at dolphin or the car care center for airport run back. Then use uber and lyft for everything else if your not planning on going to far. Also there are loads of good restaurants on restaurant Row in Dr Philips area less than 10 bucks in a uber from universal.
mrsgiggs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I think I'd go with plan B- I'm sure you can get a cheaper airport transfer than Meers. I would try to use some Disney transport to save some money- We plan on using uber for v early starts -awkward restaurants etc, but we'll use the buses the rest of the time. If a restaurant is a pain to get to and we really want to eat there, fine but if we have other options than sound good we'll stick to those for convenience
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mrsgiggs View Post
I would hire 1 way car hires just for the airport runs. Drop family off at hrh then take car back to sheraton on I drive and walk back or uber. Pick up at dolphin or the car care center for airport run back. Then use uber and lyft for everything else if your not planning on going to far. Also there are loads of good restaurants on restaurant Row in Dr Philips area less than 10 bucks in a uber from universal.
I'd also do a one way hire from the airport as it should be cheaper and you can call off for food etc. on the way. If you hire with Avis you can just drop it off at the desk in HRH
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List