Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Apr 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Wizz
Getting Excited

Mobile Norwegian Air

I’ve just discovered Norwegian do direct flights to Tampa (which is our preferred route) does anyone have any experience with them?
We’d been planning BA unless I decide I’m brave enough to do indirect with 3 kids but it’s nice to have other options.
How do Norwegian compare with service and price?
With any airline is there a best time to book? We are tied to Easter holidays.
Would a fly drive with BA be better?
Wizz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Beddy666
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Personally used Norwegian to New York last year both flights were a complete cock up. Plane was great service on plane was good but whole customer service and leading up to travel at the airport was shoddy. So much so we are currently pursuing compensation for our outbound flight after already receiving compensation for the inbound flight...
But I’ve read others have had good experience.
Beddy666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Have flown with them to California and more recently to Chicago. Our California flights were pretty good - food was decent (only plane food I have ever said that about!), although there was a problem with the IFE on the way out (there were no films, which is not ideal for an 11 hour flight...) and we were delayed about an hour coming back, but we made it up in the air. Chicago, however... we paid to book seats (extra leg room at the front) and they changed them on the day without telling us and put us in the middle at the back... I went back to check in when I realised and they moved us forward to the middle of the plane but no extra leg room. The staff were also very rude when I was trying to sort it out with them. I put in a refund request for the seat reservation fees a month ago, but still not heard back. Also, the food was awful and tiny in each direction... The way back dessert was a single individually wrapped chocolate square. It was tasty, but tiny!

Our experiences have put us off quite a bit, which is a shame as I do enjoy flying on the dreamliner. I wouldn't say never again if the price was right, but I would definitely prefer another airline.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We flew with them last September , I've probably flown just about everyone over time except charters as I don't "just" do Florida . We were very impressed. Family flew out to join us and they really liked them too.
Plane did go tech on family's return flight and the flight was cancelled but they texted ahead of time and when they offered a flight a week later (if it had been me I'd have said yes lol) and I said no , not acceptable booked us an indirect for the next morning some seven hours after the original flight. They paid all expenses without quibbling including food, drink, hotel day room at Boston , phone calls , Lyft etc as well as full EU261 . I've had far worse from the usual suspects like BA and Virgin !

We are flying them again on Monday !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

We flew with Norwegian last month to MCO, not one single problem..

Unlike BA/VA you can tell they're a low cost airline by the food that's offered on board as explained above, however it was still very acceptable for both outbound and inbound flights.

The customer service we received however was excellent from check-in to landing, I guess we were just lucky in regards to not having our flight cancelled/delayed etc. We departed on time at both LGW and MCO, however MCO decided to assign a sister Norwegian plane into our gate when we landed meaning we couldn't park into the gate due to the aircraft being too big for the 'new/incorrect' gate, but this wasn't a fault of Norwegian.

I would 100% fly with them again, especially if I could find the same ticket prices again (£316/ea with meal and x2 20kg luggage).
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 10:25 AM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Actually I disagree ,the meal flying out last year was excellent , properly seasoned and not the usual bland pap. One of us didn't include food and used the buy on board offerings which were good too (panini if I recall) . Flying home the dinner was good and the breakfast woeful but AA aside I've never had a decent breakfast West to east. I think that's more down to the US airline catering companies though !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Positives: Norwegian Air are highly rated for the price you pay. Big plus are always cleanliness, food, staff and planes.

Negatives: Call center and non flight staff not great.

Huge Negative: Long term feasibility not great. Huge debts, recently issued a profit warning. IAG not interested. Selling off aircraft.

Everyone can have good and bad experiences with any airline. If you do book with Norwegian then use a credit card and take out full travel insurance immediately.

I would happily book last minute flights with Norwegian, i.e 2-3 months time. But I think I would stand back if booking anything for 2020.

2019 will either be make or break for Norwegian.
If I read that the next airline to go bust was Norwegian I wouldnt be shocked. They based their business on the same model as every other airline thats gone bust. Big debts and low prices dont mix. They tried to take on the big boys and push them out of the market but havent succeeded in the time they expected. They are balanced so much that even a strike or air space closure would be enough to topple them, and they wont be rescued as they havent enough assets for anyone to really jump for.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 10:41 AM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

Flew with them last year to Orlando and they were great. We bid for upgrades both ways and succeeded. Their premium seats were amazing. Not a fan of the food but I would rather take my own for a seat like that. Booked again for this year. We are doing economy out and premium home.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn't use them because having read many feedbacks, they are good value and usually provide good onboard service when all is going okay, but when they have a problem (issue with crew or plane etc) they don't have the back up the likes of BA and virgin have so the knock on effect can result in flights cancelled for days rather than hours, so I would rather pay more and have the security of BA.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
VickyJ
Apprentice Imagineer

VickyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Flown with them 4 times noe. no problems on any of the flights. All strait forwards. nothing to report here.
Poly isles 03-Portofino bay 06-Cypress point 2006-Port Orleans 09-Hard Rock 2010-AKL feb 11-Reunion Grande Jn 11-POR+Cruise Aug 13-OKW Aug 16-SSR Feb 17-S/Springs Aug17-Hyatt Aug17-VC Feb18-AKL Oct 19
I-Creek Jan 20, Vista cay 2022
VickyJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List