Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile Scam phone calls

The first call to our landline was at 7.45 yesterday morning and upto 3pm we must have had a dozen calls with different Tel numbers.

Phoned virgin who couldn't advise how to stop them. In the end we unplugged both landline phones but not ideal as my parents always phone on them. I've plugged them in again this morning and it's just started again. Didn't answer it went to the answering machine.

But how do we stop them, it's a recorded message saying our internet will be cut off due to illegal activity. Clearly a scam and so annoying.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We are with Sky and they have a Talk Shield service, which basically answers the calls for us, and asks the person to say who they are, then our phone rings and it tells us who they are and we can decide whether to take the call or not. If nobody says anything on the other end then it doesn't bother ringing us.
Do Virgin do something similar?
Since we turned this on we've had no scam calls at all
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We have ‘Call Guardian’ on our landline phone works same as post above.

Edited at 08:38 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

I asked virgin about call guardian but he'd never heard of it. When I'm back at work working we're looking at changing our internet provider as the package is nearly £100 per month.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
We are with Sky and they have a Talk Shield service, which basically answers the calls for us, and asks the person to say who they are, then our phone rings and it tells us who they are and we can decide whether to take the call or not. If nobody says anything on the other end then it doesn't bother ringing us.
Do Virgin do something similar?
Since we turned this on we've had no scam calls at all
We have this, sometimes it's a pain but we never get a scam call!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
I asked virgin about call guardian but he'd never heard of it. When I'm back at work working we're looking at changing our internet provider as the package is nearly £100 per month.
for internet ? 100 quid!
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We have call guardian too, it’s brilliant. The only call that has gone through so far this year was the dentist to confirm my daughter had no covid symptoms before her appointment.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We had been getting these all the time but a landline phone was essential for my husbands work.

It’s all sorted now, we got BT phones that are call blockers and they have worked a treat. You can preset them with friends and family numbers so they will ring as normal, however, any number not preset will ring once then stop, the caller hears a message and must state who they are before the call is put through. The best phones we ever bought.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Call Guardian is built in to the phone so should work with any provider.

this is the phone I have BT 8610
amazon/Digital-Cor...dp/B01AT6JCV2/

images-eu.ssl-images-amazon... 1lxJA5B3GS.pdf

Edited at 09:16 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Elisebev
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
We had been getting these all the time but a landline phone was essential for my husbands work.

It’s all sorted now, we got BT phones that are call blockers and they have worked a treat. You can preset them with friends and family numbers so they will ring as normal, however, any number not preset will ring once then stop, the caller hears a message and must state who they are before the call is put through. The best phones we ever bought.
Another vote for the bt phones with in built call blocker. I was being driven mad with the recorded messages and scam calls. Especially as I am currently working from home. Bought the BT phones and have not had a scam call since then
Elisebev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List