Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Cardiff has already moved to a mandatory 20mph speed limit, plus humps, speed tables,road narrowings and god knows what else!
This is going Wales wide.

However drive at 20mph and you will have cars blasting you, riding your ≈≈≈≈ and overtaking in stupid places. So everybody ignores it.

Hey ho the loons in charge will decide for our greater good as we cannot be trusted to make decisions for ourselves so it seems.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
My finger got tired with all my typing. (Unusual, I know!).
Yes, I agree with everything that you say.

The technology clearly exists to limit cars according to speed limits. My GPS warns me when I am exceeding a speed limit. It is a simple matter to connect it to both accelerator and brakes. I did not say that it was a safe matter, merely a simple one!
My go’s does the same but the go’s is not always right particularly with variable speed limits on motorways or roadworks
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Motorbikes next!
I am so glad that at 52 I should hopefully be able to avoid this in my car and motorcycle, plus electric cars

Whatever next!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
All new xars from 2022 are to be fitted with speed limiters from 2022
Mandatory requirement

autoexpress/car-ne...speed-limiters
I see that's an article from 2 years ago.

Would that be the same type of speed limiter that I have on my car? You can switch it off. Mine's not on. The article says "ETSC recommends a “full on/off switch” for the limiters should be included". So it doesn't really make a difference - many people will switch it off.

It also says that all new models from May 2022 onwards will be required to have "data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system, reversing sensors or cameras, and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices".

I wonder how this will be implemented? The cars will all need to have GPS and maps fitted as standard (so all will have satnav?) and those maps and speed limits will need to be constantly updated.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I wonder how this will be implemented? The cars will all need to have GPS and maps fitted as standard (so all will have satnav?) and those maps and speed limits will need to be constantly updated.
All new cars will have software that is updated remotely. Even my 2020 VW Tiguan can do this. I imagine your speed and location will be stored in the ‘cloud’ should an investigation by the police/insurance be required.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
All new cars will have software that is updated remotely. Even my 2020 VW Tiguan can do this. I imagine your speed and location will be stored in the ‘cloud’ should an investigation by the police/insurance be required.
Except there are many cars on sale today that do not even have GPS and do not have the facility to update software remotely. My wife has just bought a new car and if she wants the map and speed limit information to be updated, she has to pay.

Are you saying from next year the car manufacturers are going to have to provide this all for 'free' for new cars? (which probably means increasing the cost of cars to cover this).

Given GDPR, I assume you would have to accept to have your information stored remotely in the cloud.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Why do you need a car that go over 100 miles a hour when top speed on a motorway is 70 never understood this
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Because the same cars are sold in countries where the speed limits are greater than ours, for example Germany. They could adjust them but then they will cost more.
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Very interesting.

When speed limiters become mandatory and cannot be switched on/off (as would seem inevitable), this will have an enormous affect on car purchasing trends.

There will be no point whatever in buying a car capable of breaking the speed limit and this will inevitably remove 90% of cars as options to purchase.
As a Golf GTI costs twice as much as a base model, there will immediately be a loss to the government of 50% in VAT, should the purchaser opt for a 75bhp base model, rather than the now pointless 249BHP model (or will they create Sheep in Wolf’s clothing).

Fuel consumptions will inevitably drop by significant amounts (and therefore the tax take). Emissions will also drop in line with the lower fuel consumption.

It may actually even make roads more dangerous as car manufacturers, knowing that a car cannot under any circumstances exceed 70mph, alter the gear ratios to make it more sporty/fun getting there.. thus dramatically improving acceleration times. If a car with a powerful engine cannot exceed 70mph, they could conceivably drop its 0-70 mph time from say, 7 seconds to 4 seconds. And 0-30 in a built up area from 4 seconds to 2. Very rapid acceleration could become more dangerous than outright speed… or do they limit that also? Maybe, they will go the whole hog, removing steering wheel, pedals and even a driver (or licence holder) from the equation. The technology clearly exists.

All is not as simple as it sounds and such a mandatory ruling will inevitably remove many models from the show room.

I am not advocating this change, nor condemning it, merely pointing out a few things that must be considered.

Will U.K. market cars, besides being RHD, now be unique to the U.K. market? That may increase costs at manufacture.

Jaguar, Porsche, Tesla etc etc may see no point in actually marketing cars in the U.K. as we know them. What is the point of a road used and speed limited Porsche?
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
CFB the other negative is that even if you are travelling under the speed limit there are times (not often granted) when exceeding this for an instant is safer than staying below it.

I was also wondering if it would limit all cars at say 75mph or if it would be smart and limit with the current speed limit. If it has a fixed limit at 75 that Mensa you can still do nearly 4 times the speed limit in some build up areas. I would argue that say 50 in a 20 or a 30 is usually far more dangerous than 90 on a quiet motorway.

If the speed is limited by speed limit in that area then you will have the car braking for which is not good.

If the limiter is working to the road speed then would that be done by sign recognition or gps. Go’s won’t always detect temporary speed limits and both my car and van have sign recognition and it’s far from 100%

On the plus side second hand performance cars will sky rocket
By god you two are right old codgers. Move with the times boys or move over and let us youngsters through (Safely and within the speed limit, obviously) change is coming, either get on board or become those two old geezers at the pub moaning about the change to decimal and how its all going to end in disaster
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
By god you two are right old codgers. Move with the times boys or move over and let us youngsters through (Safely and within the speed limit, obviously) change is coming, either get on board or become those two old geezers at the pub moaning about the change to decimal and how its all going to end in disaster
Best I get my last new car before this comes in! .. and decline the sat nav option….

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List