Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jul 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone planted lupin seeds?

I have a couple of lupin plants in my front garden. The pods have dried and I can hear the seeds inside when I shake them.
I really want to plant these but reading mixed instructions.
I am new to all this gardening business but I am really enjoying it 💗
I am going to get the seeds out of the pods tomorrow. What do I do with them then?
Do I plant/sow them into little pots and leave outside?
Or I have read that you put them in a bag and freeze them over winter. Then soak for 3 hours and file the shell before potting in spring 🤯
Or should I bag the seeds and keep them in the shed and put into pots in spring?

There will be lots of seeds. Do I put one seed in one mini pot or put a few seeds in each pot?
If I manage to grow quite a few I will gift them to family and friends at easter 🥰
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

My mum always says to leave seeds to dry on the plants, as they soak up the goodness.

Interesting discussion here:
forum.gardenersworld/dis...pins-from-seed

ETA, if it were me, I would wait until they dry on the plant, then pick and leave them in the shed until about Feb/ March and plant indoors

Edited at 08:06 PM.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Mine are still on the plants. I'll wait till the first one pops, then collect them. I'll plant them next spring, but expect they won't flower as I think they are biannual so will flower the following year. I think!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

My lupins are drooping…….now there’s a sentence I thought I’d never type out.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I would plant indoors next year for a bit and then outside - I do find them fairly easy to grow but for me its keeping them alive once outside that I have the problem! I have so many slugs and snails they never last long!
Old 30 Jul 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

My lupins have been mullered by slugs, looks terrible now. If they’re only biannual then think I’ll have to dig it out as it’s an eyesore right now 😞
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I bought them as flowered plants last summer from the garden centre. They grew back this year and flowered again beautifully.
On one of them the pods are dark and dry. You can hear the seeds inside when you shake them. My other lupin’s pods are still green so needs to be left for now.
Once you collect the seeds what do you do with them over winter?
How do you store them?
How do you sow them next spring?
Thanks 😊
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I just keep them in an envelope and plant around March time , you can buy seed trays to plant them but I prefer ones that you can put individual seeds into each bit which cuts down the need for thinning out if needed. I have an indoor container with plastic cover which I put all the potted seeds in otherwise a warm sunny windowsill will do . My conservatory becomes like a greenhouse in spring 😀 if your looking for other easy plants to grow I always find cosmos and marigolds are easy but again slugs love marigolds. I also love to grow California Poppies but they are sometimes better planted directly in the ground .
Old 30 Jul 21, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I just keep them in an envelope and plant around March time , you can buy seed trays to plant them but I prefer ones that you can put individual seeds into each bit which cuts down the need for thinning out if needed. I have an indoor container with plastic cover which I put all the potted seeds in otherwise a warm sunny windowsill will do . My conservatory becomes like a greenhouse in spring 😀 if your looking for other easy plants to grow I always find cosmos and marigolds are easy but again slugs love marigolds. I also love to grow California Poppies but they are sometimes better planted directly in the ground .
I don’t have a greenhouse or a windowsill I could put them on. I wonder if there is a mini one? Our garden is only small so not big enough for a greenhouse 😪
Old 30 Jul 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I don’t have a greenhouse or a windowsill I could put them on. I wonder if there is a mini one? Our garden is only small so not big enough for a greenhouse 😪
You don’t need a greenhouse just look up seed starter kits and you can use them (some are electric) or just wait and sow them outside when it’s a bit warmer . Have you got space in garden for small outdoor cold frame they are good for growing seeds.