Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 29 Jul 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Apologies if I say there's an excellent DIBB guide to driving here.

I say excellent as I've added and edited over the years.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

Mick

PS Hired a car in all our visits and driven quite a few miles so I may say it's easy but please come back with any specific queries.

Edited at 05:46 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
popsiwinkle
Excited about Disney

I hate driving in the US I have to say. I find it stressful every time I've done it. I basically sit in the slow lane unless roads are very quiet because people seem to indicate less and pull over into lanes without warning. It's easier because of an automatic but everything is so much bigger I find it overwhelming, and I'm a confident driver in the UK! Keep an eye on your speed too, there's lots of places where fines are doubled because there's workers on the road and it's not worth breaching their laws. Definitely have a sat nav (or phone like we use) and know some of the quirks can help but I would say it's normal if you get a bit anxious when you do drive and just take your time with it.
popsiwinkle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Just to add about hiring a car.

Don't hire from a US site as they probably won't include insurance. Hire from a reputable UK broker like Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire but email him asking for off-line rates at the minute. Beware taking up "free" car with Virgin Holidays or Tui. Basic price is hopelessly under-insured. Often cheaper to ditch the "free" car than pay top up premium.

All toll roads here

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Mick

Another PS I see you've already emailed Andy

Edited at 09:26 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mick has, as usual summed it up just fine.. and the Andy bit with DFCH is the icing on the cake.

I lived in Canada for 6 months, driving a lot as distances between points in Alberta are huge.
I never drive less than 1000 miles on any vacation in the USA (I multi city).

The one thing I always do when first getting in an automatic is to hook my right foot behind my left, up against the bottom of the seat. This means that I then have only the one foot that I can use… my left on either brake or accelerator.

This for me prevents a lapse into the 3 pedal driving style of my normal, manual cars during my early hours in the US.

I very much agree about Virgin car hire insurance. You need a decent package, no matter how good a driver you are.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:41 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
luckystrikes
slightly serious Dibber

I enjoy driving in the USA, I would say the thought of doing it is worse than when you actually get there.

Driving on the opposite side of the road is weird but as everyone else is doing it, it actually comes quite naturally
luckystrikes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I can’t drive in the USA as I am barred from driving there… by my husband and kids! The first time I tried driving I proceeded around the car park on the wrong side of the road and then mounted a kerb! Needless to say that was me out of the driving seat , and I can’t say I wasn’t glad, my brain just couldn’t get to grips with it at all. Disclaimer: I am a terrible driver in the U.K. too so I’m not a very good example.

My husband loves driving in the US, much more than driving in the U.K. He says he usually has to concentrate pretty hard for the first 20 minutes or so after getting into the hire car and then after that it just feels normal. He was really apprehensive the first time we hired a car but got in to it pretty quickly and we always hire a car now, the wee bit of extra freedom is great.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
My kids tease me ad its the only time they have heard me swear! Arrive off 9 hour flight. Attempt to drive to find hotel on idrive in the dark ... the most scary thing I have ever done! Didn't improve over the week we there.

After that as my then DH didn't drive, it was onsite and magical express all the way. It wasn't a holiday for me being that scared!

(I don't have any issues driving in Europe, so it wasn't being on the other side etc)

Edited at 05:59 PM.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I find it quite easy to drive around in the US, especially as you are already used to an automatic. I do recommend "practicing" your route from airport to accommodation using Google street maps - especially if arriving when it's dark. The roads are almost all dual carriageways so the driving on the other side of the road isn't that big a deal other than remembering that the "slow" lane is to right not left.

Roundabouts are rare, they use 4 way stops (more or less a crossroads) instead but those are few and far between too - basically just take turns in order of arrival. You can turn on right on red unless there's a sign specifically saying not to (no turn on red). Most lights are regular round lights but the turn on red rule also applies to red arrows if you come across one (happened me once).
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I think from memory our flight lands in the afternoon so it will be light.

I may see if I can find some
YouTube videos and I will check out micks link! (Thank you).

I think I’m a good driver here In the UK. Il drive pretty much anywhere.

Although these stories of mounting kerbs are not helping.. haha.

Iv also contacted Andy who has provided me with a quote too. My friend got stung by tui about 3 years ago with her car hire. She had to pay nearly £400 on arrival for the correct insurance!
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ohanaa View Post
I think from memory our flight lands in the afternoon so it will be light.

I may see if I can find some
YouTube videos and I will check out micks link! (Thank you).

I think I’m a good driver here In the UK. Il drive pretty much anywhere.

Although these stories of mounting kerbs are not helping.. haha.

Iv also contacted Andy who has provided me with a quote too. My friend got stung by tui about 3 years ago with her car hire. She had to pay nearly £400 on arrival for the correct insurance!
Picking up the car the next morning is a good shout. Everything is easier after sleep!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List