Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Aug 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Empty nesters - give me your tips please!

Youngest baby bird is due to fly the nest next month and I'm so not ready for this!

I remember when DD went off to Uni, I had to give myself a good talking to as was acting like I'd suffered a bereavement, I missed her so much and could barely walk past her room without getting upset.

Really pleased for them and I've always encouraged my kids to spread their wings and get out there living life, they don't know that I pine for them when they're not here!

We have a pretty busy life anyway, I have a job I love, great colleagues, a good friend network that I meet up with regularly & hobbies so I don't need tips of filling time, it's just more coping mechanisms.

How did your life change / you cope with this big new chapter?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We never really had that total empty nest because of the age span of the boys we had grandkids before the last one moved out and then we graduated to the granny flat or in laws suite when one moved back with the grandson
Just be proud you have given them both the confidence to fly the coop
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I have never completely got over it I don't think so I'm no help. It doesn't occupy my every waking hour or anything but there's always that little tiny ache. It was especially bad last Christmas for obvious reasons.
On the other hand I'm proud of the fact my children have all made lives for themselves, own their own homes, seem to be in stable relationships and have given us eight gorgeous grandchildren so its all good really.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
This was me 2 years ago, spent months dreading it. August came and I got very tearful, occasionally distraught. Night before taking him to Manchester was awful. But it actually wasn’t that bad once he was away. I did miss him but actually enjoy the quiet and my other 2 are always popping in or on the phone. My son does come home fairly regularly, so sometimes I don’t have time to really miss him, esp since COVID cut into his 1St year, hoping his 3rd year is more typical of the student life xx just go with the flow, get emotional if you need to , no one will criticise you , after all you are a mum xxx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Whenever I think about it I can feel myself welling up. However I’m immensely proud of them both, and like you, we’ve always encouraged them to follow their dreams and spread their wings, but I know I’m going to feel a bit lost when our household goes from 4 to 2 pretty much overnight. The joy of twins! I have no advice for you as I know I’m going to be rubbish, but just wanted to say you’re not alone 🥰
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We moved house thinking they weren’t coming home to live! Ha ha, ds has moved back properly but at least now has a job so is out during the day. Dd comes back 1-2 times a month at the weekends and Dh retired so I haven’t had a chance to enjoy the house on my own.

When we have been on our own, it is nice just to make a meal, chat and generally live in a tidy house. Sorry not much help, obviously not a doting mum like the rest of you🥴
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It helped us that DD went to my old uni so I knew what she would be doing induction wise and the place itself. I did miss her but it got easier with time and nowadays keeping in touch is simple. Hardest was leaving her in a London bedsit a few years later as she made her way career wise. Like the other person I am pleased she has made a success of her career, she lives in a great place in Central London and is married to a lovely husband but Last Christmas was hard and I didn’t see her for 18 months. They managed a visit last month and it was great. There’s a saying along the line of successful parenting is letting go which put it well in my opinion.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

My best advice is to try and make sure they don't come back!

Now, that might sound harsh, but once you've got over the initial pining you will soon get used to having your home to yourself. Why put yourself through it all again?
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DS left home at only 16 to join the Forces (still a child!) and I was distraught. We couldn't shake DD off - she was here till she was turned 30, so when she moved out I had the (metaphorical) bunting hanging up
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

They’ll be back! Dd left at 18 and came back at 21