Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Aug 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile Texas?

I think we may have to delay our Singapore trip next year with everything that’s going on. We think that USA may be a better bet but really who knows!

My dh has suggested Texas and that area. Are there any trip reports worth reading or anyone who has been that can give an idea of an itinerary.

I’m also edging towards Toronto, Niagara etc as well. Decisions, decisions! I’d just like to be able to start to look into something and plan!

Thank you.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Hiya, I don’t have a trip report but we got married in Austin in 2016 and loved Texas! Austin was amazing and we drove down to see The Alamo down in San Antonio. It’s a really interesting state with loads and loads to see, we have always said we will go back to 3xplore further. The food is outstanding there as well!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gtown
Proud to wear my Ears

hiya, we followed this lazytrips/trip/ultimate-texas-road-trip a couple of years ago. San Antonio was the highlight as when we got there it was a Day-of-the-dead festival. But a great place to visit, loads to do, but the driving between places is a bit disappointing, very flat, not much to look at.
gtown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We went to Texas a couple of years ago (second trip), I think I might have written a short bit about it, I'll have a look.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

All i can find is this.

We flew into Dallas, went to Six Parks, JFK Museum, and an aircraft museum somewhere.

Drove from Dallas to San Antonio via the Dr Pepper Museum and a massive Bucee's gas station with 120 pumps!

Visited The Alamo (and still don't understand what the fuss is about - shhhh!) and The Buckthorn restaurant/museum thing - google it! Went to Six Flags, and tubing on the Comal (Rockin R Rides or something similar), and the Natural Cavern Wildlife Ranch.

Then down to Corpus Christi, the beach, the USS Lexington, and chill for a day or two.

Back up to Fort Worth stopping at New Braunfels to tube the Guadalope which was bigger and scarier.

Watched a ball game at Arlington, went to the Rodeo at the Stockyards enjoyed the last days of warm.

Would really recommend everything, although August can be ridiculously hot!

ETA I've found this as well, I thought there was a proper trip report thing but it must be elsewhere.

We had a blast

Highs were tubing on the Comal and Guadalupe - real 'lazy rivers' where you rent a tube, get dropped off then picked up a couple of hours downstream.

Six Flags Parks - preferred San Antonio to Dallas, but plenty of huge coasters and rides to keep the kids happy for a couple of days.

Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch where instead of the UK windows closed safari park, they actually give you bags of food to feed the animals - feeding the zebra and watching the wilderbeest stampede was brilliant.

San Antonio - we visited the Alamo and Buckhorn Museum/Attraction. It kind of reminded me of York with people visiting for the history and paying too much for parking, food and souvenirs.

Texas Rangers ball game at Arlington. It was an experience and we learned a lot about baseball.

Stockyards and Rodeo at Fort Worth - informative and fun.

The food - loads of Mexican food, really cheap and tasty, and we always like a seafood buffet.

Lows were the smallest boy getting an tummy upset on the 6 hour drive from Corpus Christi to Fort Worth - it added about another hour and a half with all of the 'restroom' stops.

Alamo car hire. Worst car experience that we've had in 10 trips to the USA. Did the straight to the garage thing - took 2 hours to sort the paperwork at home due to website issues, then got turned back to the desk at the exit with further problems. Have used Budget, Avis, Dollar and Enterprise in the past with no issues.

On the whole a fantastic trip - would really recommend it if you're thinking of venturing further from Florida.

Edited at 12:50 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all. That’s given me somewhere for me to start! ☺️
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Can’t help you at all with Texas, as that is for the future.

I may be able to help you with Toronto and Niagara though, as we are visiting in Easter of 2022.
You will find a link to my Pre Trippie in my signature though and you are of course, more than welcome to the research within.

In my opinion, I would look to fly on and visit somewhere else after Toronto/Niagara as I would struggle to do two weeks there….
Train to Detroit and then on to Chicago?
Flight from Buffalo to San Francisco?
Flight to…. Houston and do both on the one vacation?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:38 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Crispy A has done a fantastic trip report for when they were in Texas, I’ll try and link it for you. We were meant to be going to Texas this year (if our 2020 holiday wasn’t cancelled) and between reading Elizabeth’s report and Archibald’s hints and tips above I put together what would have been an amazing 3 week itinerary 😭. We’ll get there one day, hopefully 2023!

Edit to add
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=906076

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 08:12 PM.
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

LOVED Texas, we did Houston-Galveston-Austin-San Antonio-Dallas/Fort Worth

You can fly to Houston with Singapore airlines from Manchester, it used to be really reasonably priced and lovely airline.

That trip is one of the biggest highlights of my life.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List