Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Jan 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Entertaining a toddler at the airport

We will be flying with Virgin from Gatwick North in September and I am pondering on the idea of booking a lounge... are there any that have a children's play area? I am thinking it would be a good way for a 23 month old to run off some steam before being strapped into a seat for 9 hours!

Any recommendations most welcomed!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We had the V Lounge when we flew out with our daughter who was the same age and they did have a soft play area, it wasn't too big but as you say worked to keep her entertained long enough before the flight.

But it's only available to virgin holidays customers, so if you booked your flights separate then this wasn't much help, except to say that perhaps some other lounges might have the same
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tsoski View Post
We had the V Lounge when we flew out with our daughter who was the same age and they did have a soft play area, it wasn't too big but as you say worked to keep her entertained long enough before the flight.

But it's only available to virgin holidays customers, so if you booked your flights separate then this wasn't much help, except to say that perhaps some other lounges might have the same
Yes unfortunately we haven't booked through Virgin holidays, just have Virgin fights so won't be able to use their lounge Thank you for the suggestion though!

I have been looking up other lounges but it seems some only welcome over 12s... hoping someone on here might have some experience of one suitable for little ones!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We know that there is a small soft play area in Gatwick South upstairs, so we think there might be one in the North Terminal. Just looked up and there is one in the North Terminal, but not sure where. It also has a TV.

Hope this helps

Melvin and Lesley
Old 5 Jan 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I wouldn’t bother with lounge, save your money.
We went last April and our dd was 23 months but from Manchester.
We had dropped the bags the night before and stayed over.
I had her in a carrier until security and then once out we just let her walk around.
We found a window seat and she was happily entertained looking at the planes and running up and down in front of the window.
She didn’t have a seat on the plane, I took plenty of colouring, some reading books and she does have a kindle with lots from CBeebies, films etc
She did spend ages with a sticker book, definitely recommend that.
She happily covered me in stickers!
And she slept for about 2-3 hours.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I can offer a similar story to the above, I found an empty gate area and chased my youngest daughter round the chairs. I treated it as an opportunity to reinforce the difference between when running away was fun and games, and that when daddy says come back seriously, you come back !
Old 5 Jan 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
We know that there is a small soft play area in Gatwick South upstairs, so we think there might be one in the North Terminal. Just looked up and there is one in the North Terminal, but not sure where. It also has a TV.

Hope this helps

Melvin and Lesley
Ah yes I remember the kids play area in South terminal, that's great there is one in the North terminal too! Thank you!

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Personally I wouldn’t bother with lounge, save your money.
We went last April and our dd was 23 months but from Manchester.
We had dropped the bags the night before and stayed over.
I had her in a carrier until security and then once out we just let her walk around.
We found a window seat and she was happily entertained looking at the planes and running up and down in front of the window.
She didn’t have a seat on the plane, I took plenty of colouring, some reading books and she does have a kindle with lots from CBeebies, films etc
She did spend ages with a sticker book, definitely recommend that.
She happily covered me in stickers!
And she slept for about 2-3 hours.
Yes we will be doing twilight check-in and staying overnight at the hotel so we don't have to contend with a long journey around the M25 early in the morning!

Great tips, thank you! I am definitely going to be stocking up on sticker books as these seems to be suggested regularly for travel with little ones!

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I can offer a similar story to the above, I found an empty gate area and chased my youngest daughter round the chairs. I treated it as an opportunity to reinforce the difference between when running away was fun and games, and that when daddy says come back seriously, you come back !
Haha I am really hoping Charlie is able to learn this too, otherwise there is a strong possibility we may lose him in WDW!
Old 6 Jan 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been when DS was 16mts, 3 and 5. And with dd at 12 weeks, and 23 months.
DS would always try to run away at every opportunity at home.
I looked at all kinds of straps and reins. I did get him a backpack with a “lead”. However he was completely fine, didn’t run off at all.
I think maybe as it was unfamiliar.
He has loved every trip and still remembers certain things. Especially if looking at photos.
Take loads of photos!

We haven’t been put off as going again this year! 4th trip in 5 years for ds.

I’ll remember other things that helped and update 😜
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
I’ve been when DS was 16mts, 3 and 5. And with dd at 12 weeks, and 23 months.
DS would always try to run away at every opportunity at home.
I looked at all kinds of straps and reins. I did get him a backpack with a “lead”. However he was completely fine, didn’t run off at all.
I think maybe as it was unfamiliar.
He has loved every trip and still remembers certain things. Especially if looking at photos.
Take loads of photos!

We haven’t been put off as going again this year! 4th trip in 5 years for ds.

I’ll remember other things that helped and update 😜
It’s funny you should mention those backpacks as we tried ours out for the first time this weekend whilst at the zoo! He was more than happy to wear it which is handy, we may need it in Orlando if he turns out to be a runner!

Thank you so much for the tips, so appreciated and any more you think of would be lovely!
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

inflatible pillow. Great for small naps. Colouring with "mini" pens, not full size ones to minimise space. A5 colouring pads work better for space. a power brick and phone with movies downloaded onto it - if you have an old phone these are ideal as "dumb" devices with just movies/cartoons/games on them (we use an old galaxy note 3 with wifi only - no sim card in it). Before a nap just go on an adventure walk to each gate, there is generally something happening - it is better to go for a bigger walk and not nap in the airport, rather nap on the plane...
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List