Notices

View Poll Results: Settle an argument. Who was the biggest?
Elvis Presley 178 50.28%
Micheal Jackson 65 18.36%
The Beatles 99 27.97%
Other 12 3.39%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 May 21, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Most longevity I suppose is the Stones as they are still (alive and) touring and instantly recognisable .
Tom Jones too I suppose ...

I don’t think there is just one anymore .
I did think of the Rolling Stones and personally would choose them over The Beatles all day long(puts on tin hat).
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Great discussion! I would say, if you were to show photographs of those three, Michael Jackson would be the most instantly recognisable, and that would be my definition of famous. The Beatles and Elvis might lose out on the younger audience these days.

But, if you are asking who ‘was’ the biggest, as in, during their hay day, I’d be tempted to say The Beatles because of the hysteria, but then I wasn’t around, nor was I for Elvis.

Michael Jackson had the benefit of more media during his time in the spotlight.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Great discussion! I would say, if you were to show photographs of those three, Michael Jackson would be the most instantly recognisable, and that would be my definition of famous. The Beatles and Elvis might lose out on the younger audience these days.

But, if you are asking who ‘was’ the biggest, as in, during their hay day, I’d be tempted to say The Beatles because of the hysteria, but then I wasn’t around, nor was I for Elvis.

Michael Jackson had the benefit of more media during his time in the spotlight.
Totally, I just asked my older teens to name the Beatles, they got 2/4 but could only name 1 song between them. Elvis, one had heard of him but couldn’t name any songs and the youngest had no idea who he was.

But then I am terrible with music, I stopped listening to anything new in the mid nighties and they may think I’m out of it!

Edited at 02:12 PM.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

Im 27 and went for MJ, obviously they are all mega stars but I feel like those younger than me will have heard of MJ more than the other two.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I can’t really ask my teenage sons as I was an avid MJ fan growing up and still love his music, so my boys have grown up with his songs. I just asked my thirteen year old and he’d heard of Elvis but didn’t have a clue what he sang or what he looked like, he could however name a couple of Beatles songs but admitted that was because we watched the film, Yesterday, during lockdown! 😂
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
I went for Micheal Jackson. Yeah Elvis and the Beatles were huge but they were still in an age where entertainment media was still limited. By the 80’s the whole world had access. I think Micheal being of black heritage also meant he was able to cross cultures.
Limited in what sense ?
Radio was massive before MTV came along and diluted audiences.
It was probably more about the music than the image then though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I went for Elvis even though he passed away two years before I was born. Almost went for the Beatles.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

I'm saying The Beatles. I grew up in Liverpool. They were BIG to me growing up.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I voted Beatles too but I think probably the correct answer should be Elvis.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I’m throwing Queen into the mix, loved by DH and me (born in the 60’s). Also loved by our older sons, in their 30’s who were very sad when Freddie died when they were little. Also our DD, 20, enjoys and appreciates their music.

Bohemian Rhapsody was recently a hugely successful film, and Queen concerts still sell out. To me, they are the most famous and are still well known today. None of our adult children could name an Elvis song or name more than one Beatle. We visited Central Park and had to explain who John Lennon was to them.They were famous in their times but no longer. Michael Jackson would be the most famous from the three on the original list in terms of being known across a broad range of ages.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List