Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jun 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarky1
Proud to wear my Ears

Connecting Flight EDI-LHR-MCO

Hi all, We have just booked for Feb 2022, travelling from Edinburgh to Heathrow and then on to Orlando.
When booking i thought the flight times sounded really good, but now i'm worried we aren't going to have enough time between arriving at LHR and departing for MCO.

The EDI-LHR arrives at 13:00 and the flight for MCO departs at 14:15.

Does anyone have any experience of how quickly we are likely to be able to get off the flight and on to our main flight to Orlando? I haven't been to Heathrow before so not familiar with the terminals. We will also have an 8 & 5 year old with us to add to the challenge!

Any advice much appreciated.
Steve
Clarky1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We’ve done Heathrow a couple of times it’s quicker to transit through than Gatwick but that’s just too tight for us
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Clarky1 View Post
Hi all, We have just booked for Feb 2022, travelling from Edinburgh to Heathrow and then on to Orlando.
When booking i thought the flight times sounded really good, but now i'm worried we aren't going to have enough time between arriving at LHR and departing for MCO.

The EDI-LHR arrives at 13:00 and the flight for MCO departs at 14:15.

Does anyone have any experience of how quickly we are likely to be able to get off the flight and on to our main flight to Orlando? I haven't been to Heathrow before so not familiar with the terminals. We will also have an 8 & 5 year old with us to add to the challenge!

Any advice much appreciated.
Steve
I do this often and don't worry, if anything that's an excess of time. It's a simple T5 transfer. The flight from EDI will land at the A gates (main terminal 5 building) and the one to MCO will most likely take off from one of the satellite buildings (B or C), but it takes minutes.

The official minimum is 1 hour, and even with that I've been sat about waiting before...

Edited at 09:42 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

The problem at LHR is you'll need to do security again, even as a domestic connecting passenger going through the same terminal, before you can get to moving onto the departure gates.

There's always a good chance you'll land early but the problem is that if you take off late from Edinburgh you're struggling on the flip side.
Old 20 Jun 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarky1
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thanks all, it does feel a bit tight particularly if we need to go back through security again. I also just worry that any delay with the flight might cause some added stress!

Unfortunately I’ve already booked and paid in full however I’ll call and ask if there is any chance of an earlier flight from Edinburgh.

Many thanks for replying so quickly.
Steve
Clarky1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
The problem at LHR is you'll need to do security again, even as a domestic connecting passenger going through the same terminal, before you can get to moving onto the departure gates.

There's always a good chance you'll land early but the problem is that if you take off late from Edinburgh you're struggling on the flip side.
Sorry that isn't quite correct - for a T5 domestic to T5 international connection you only go through a boarding pass check. If as in pre Covid you were transferring from T5 to T3 to connect then you do reclear security at T3.

However, for the inbound connection you do go through security after passing through immigration.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Sorry that isn't quite correct - for a T5 domestic to T5 international connection you only go through a boarding pass check. If as in pre Covid you were transferring from T5 to T3 to connect then you do reclear security at T3.

However, for the inbound connection you do go through security after passing through immigration.
I've had to do it in the past going T5 domestic to T5 international, pre covid admittedly, so only giving advice based on my own experience
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

When I have travelled through T5 from Manchester to Europe or the US I have always just gone to a small set of desks to show my boarding pass and then it was straight up the escalator and into the main terminal through a set of doors near the pub. Never had to clear security at all - how odd.

I only had to go through security again if I took the bus to T3 or T4.

Edited at 09:17 AM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We were headed for Dubai when it happened, got directed upstairs then sent through baggage checks. Were told that although we had done security in Glasgow that we had to do it again at LHR as it was another airport.

Had it happen, as expected, when I was heading regularly to/from Prague going T5 to T3 and vice versa - so the being asked to do it on T5 to T5 is why we questioned it.
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
We were headed for Dubai when it happened, got directed upstairs then sent through baggage checks. Were told that although we had done security in Glasgow that we had to do it again at LHR as it was another airport.

Had it happen, as expected, when I was heading regularly to/from Prague going T5 to T3 and vice versa - so the being asked to do it on T5 to T5 is why we questioned it.
How very odd - I wonder why they did that I would have questioned it too.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List