Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Nov 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Would NEVER travel outside the UK without insurance.

Currently, I would not take out insurance in the UK (unless I was planning a megabucks luxury trip), but that is because I can afford to pay for a change in travel etc. When I retire it may be different - I used to work on the Isle of Wight and we had any number of tourists admitted to the hospital, whose coach trip would return without them, and would ask us "But how do I get home?": we had to tell them that they needed to sort out their own accommodation/travel arrangements.
Old 24 Nov 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

There’s a long discussion about travel insurance on a Facebook cruise group I’m a member of. It’s amazing how many people try to justify cruising abroad without travel insurance because of existing medical conditions either because insurance is too expensive or they can’t get insurance. I guess the only rational reason is that they can afford to self fund any hospitalisation or repatriation. However, it seems most simply take the risk and worry about the consequences later.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
There’s a long discussion about travel insurance on a Facebook cruise group I’m a member of. It’s amazing how many people try to justify cruising abroad without travel insurance because of existing medical conditions either because insurance is too expensive or they can’t get insurance. I guess the only rational reason is that they can afford to self fund any hospitalisation or repatriation. However, it seems most simply take the risk and worry about the consequences later.
Aye, that old saying comes to mind Omega, horses and water. We have travel insurance, others can do as they wish. Whilst we could've paid for my 24 hour, $12k, hospital stay last year, I was content with the better deal of c£700 for my 180 day premium plus £100 excess.
Old 25 Nov 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi 7Seas, heads up re my hospital bills. I was admitted to Cape Coral hospital last November, a week after arriving, for 24 hours with a combination of the entero and rhino viruses which caused pneumonia, a broad spectrum antibiotic kept it at bay until definitive lab results. I received a letter from my underwriter, Tif, afore we left for Fl last week (12th Nov) to say they were taking CC hospital to task over their bills. Apparently the US Gov issues a list of procedure charges that hospitals are advised to abide by, Tif believe CC hospital are over-charging by 50%+ - Tif said to ignore any mail from CC hospital demanding payment, which I'd do anyway as it's Tif's issue to deal with. I had various tests, X-rays, scans and intensive treatment over 24 hours, from what I can fathom the bill is just under $12k.

Your underwriter may simply settle $34k+, or they may view as steep for 24 hours in hospital plus tests. They should advise you if they're contesting the figures. I rang Tif re their letter, they advised US hospitals are presenting higher bills (against travel insurance) than they deem acceptable and don't automatically settle. As the lady said, it's the insured who ends up paying via higher premiums.

Hope your daughter is doing well
I think you will find most of the main travel Insurers utilise the services of North American companies who then liaise with hospitals often with regard to planned treatment but certainly with regard to the appropriateness of final bills. When I dealt with travel claims, I regularly saw invoices negotiated down by over 30%. I can't recall a case in those days when the patient was pursued instead.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I don’t even go to Europe without travel insurance
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Absolutely not!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

cant imagine anyone says yes

but its 100% no for me... cant think of a situation its a good idea?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Colorman
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

While in Orlando this year I had a life threatening accident and was taken to an American hospital for four weeks, I could not fault the care I received. If I had not taken out insurance my bill would have been astronomical and would had to sell my house to pay for it. The insurance even arranged for my repatriation to the UK. So my advise would be never travel without insurance as you cannot predict what could happen when on holiday
Colorman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colorman View Post
While in Orlando this year I had a life threatening accident and was taken to an American hospital for four weeks, I could not fault the care I received. If I had not taken out insurance my bill would have been astronomical and would had to sell my house to pay for it. The insurance even arranged for my repatriation to the UK. So my advise would be never travel without insurance as you cannot predict what could happen when on holiday
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are on the way to a full recovery.

I agree, it's not worth travelling without it.

Mine has been really pretty hefty in the past, but I have counted it as part of the holiday and have had to cut the rest of my cloth accordingly. When it gets up to silly money, then it is an active choice that has to be made.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thefergies View Post
I think you will find most of the main travel Insurers utilise the services of North American companies who then liaise with hospitals often with regard to planned treatment but certainly with regard to the appropriateness of final bills. When I dealt with travel claims, I regularly saw invoices negotiated down by over 30%. I can't recall a case in those days when the patient was pursued instead.
Hi thefergies, thank you for your explanation. My underwriter, Tif, instructed UK based, Cost Containment Facilities, to audit Cape Coral hosp invoices. As you say, and per Cost's letter, the US Gov issue prices for each procedure/treatment annually, Cost utilise those rates as a benchmark in determining what should've been charged. Your 30% comment doesn't surprise me, the Cost lady advised they oft see an increase of 50%... they'll adjust settlement to ensure reasonable costs are paid, seems fair, inflated invoices is unacceptable.

As US debt collectors have no jurisdiction in the UK I'm unconcerned about a threat of being pursed, one year on since my hosp stay, and bar one bill sent in error I've received no other correspondence.