Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 3 Sep 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

12.06.2019 - Let's go to San Francisco - part 3

Travelling this time was DH (54) - driver/eater/moaner/petrol head/biker

Me (51) - navigator/planner/booker/spreadsheet creator/feeder

Another hot uncomfortable night was had by us both, and we were both up pretty early considering the busy day we had yesterday. We fetched breakfast again and took it back to our room.

Today was our last full day in San Francisco and I had prebooked the Alcatraz night tour as soon as it was available back in April - £75.75 for both of us. Other than that, I knew we wanted to go to Muir Woods, but I had not been able to find an organised tour that would give us enough time to have a leisurely look around. Most tours gave you an hour max, and I didn't feel like that would be enough.

We kind of decided in advance that we would drive ourselves there, but the trouble with that is you need to pre book parking at Muir Woods. This gives you a half hour time slot to arrive in, and at the time we did not know what time we could get there by.

So as soon as we were up I got online to book our slot. The morning was sold out!

Luckily I got a slot at 1:30 - 2:00 and paid $38 for entrance to the park and parking

We decided to drive to Sausalito first, so I googled parking and found some free parking along the Bay.

The drive was beautiful and it was our first self drive over the Golden Gate Bridge

We found the parking really easily and started to walk along the dock.

Such a pretty, chilled out place

We found a nice cafe and sat outside in some cool shade. Pancakes for me and corned beef hash and eggs for him

We continued walking along the front and window shopped. There were some really pretty shops and we spent a lovely morning in Sausalito. I would consider staying there if we visit San Francisco again.

Next stop was Muir Woods. It was not far from Sausalito, but the drive is quite a slow one along winding roads. Luckily we had left ourselves enough time and we didn't miss our time slot for the parking.

We took our time walking through the woods, and it was lovely. Cool and shady Hundreds of photos later these are a few of our favourites.

As we walked back to the car there were lots of coaches arriving, so I think we were lucky to miss the afternoon rush.

Back in the car we got our first experience of Carl. This is what they call the fog that normally surrounds the Golden Gate Bridge, but as it had been so hot, we had not seen it at all. Even now it was barely visible.

We drove back to our room and freshened up for our Alcatraz night tour. When we were ready another Lyft was ordered which dropped us right outside Pier 33

Our tour departed at 6:30 and was bang on time

Lots of photos again but here is a small selection of our favs.

After a few hours on the rock, Carl rolled in and the weather turned quite cold

No this is not DH warming up!

Although the night tour has limited tickets sold, you get the second boat full an hour after you arrive, so it did get quite full at times

but I found some space

By the time we got back to Pier 33 it was freezing and dark. We were also starving, so we went into the first place we found for food. The Hard Rock Cafe.

We called for another Lyft back to the motel and thankfully the room was bearable for a change.

We really enjoyed the night tour and would definitely recommend it.

This is the official photo from the Alcatraz tour

Old 10 Sep 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
What a great day. Muir Woods looks lovely. Such enormous trees !
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List